Ludes
United States
Honor
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Welcome

... to the 2006 Unofficial BoardGameGeek 2-Player E&T Tournament Rules and Guidelines Page.

Sign-Up Thread: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/102865

Feel free to post any rules-related comments, questions, and suggestions.

+ The tournament will be 2-player.
+ Lion/Urn assignments are totally random.
+ Scoring is open.
+ When in conflict, the BGG interface rules supersede the game rules.
+ Players will receive gamestart notifications via GeekMail from a/the Tournament Director (TD). Information will include the players' names, game ID# and name, and password. Please note that passwords are case-sensitive!
+ Rounds of games will be started every 14 days (also, see "Victory Points" below).
+ Mulligan Rule: a re-start will be granted within the first 3 turns if both players request.
+ BGG Administrators, as much as we would love to have them and they may wish to compete, may not participate as players; nor, may the TD or any assistant TDs.
+ The TD reserves the right to call any match that has exceeded 14/28 days.
+ All decisions made by the TD will be final (though the BGG administrators would probably have the ultimate final say on anything anyways ...).
+ The TD is always right. In instances where the TD may be wrong, please refer to the previous sentence. (On the other hand, the TD is only human and any possible mistakes/errors/oversights should be brought to his immediate attention.)

It is presumed that all players are familiar with:
+ the rules/mechanics/scoring for E&T;
+ the BGG E&T interface ... how to get there, how to sign into games, how the interface works (if not, please familiarize yourself at the earliest opportunity), and how the interface varies from the actual game rules.
+ Geek-Mail.

Player standings will be determined by, in order:
+ Win-Loss-Tie record;
+ Victory Points;
+ Head-to-head record;
+ and then, only if absolutely necessary and strictly if needed for prize determination, the arcane and dreaded tie-breaking mechanism used last year.

Victory Points

Victory Points (VPs) will be the second criteria used in determining player standings (and matchups), following W-L-T record.

All players will start with 100 VPs.

Victory: 30 VP
Tie: 15 VP each

Match scores:
+ if loser ties on the lowest score, plus 1 VP.
+ if loser ties on second lowest, plus 2 VPs.
+ if loser ties on third lowest, plus 4 VPs. (total possible: 7 VPs)

Finishing Games (14-day schedule):
+ within 7 days - both players receive 4 VPs;
+ within 10 days - both players receive 2 VPs;
+ game reaches 15th day - both players penalized 3 VPs; each day thereafter, both players penalized 1 VP/day; starting day 18, 3 VPs/day each.

Finishing games (28-day schedule):
+ within 14 days - both players receive 4 VPs;
+ within 21 days - both players receive 2 VPs;
+ game reaches 29th day - both players penalized 3 VPs; each day thereafter, both players penalized 1 VP/day; starting day 33, 3 VPs/day each.

Gamestart times will be based on the GeekMail time-stamp of the gamestart notices. Don't expect any slack: 14 days and 1 minute will incur a penalty. If it is obvious that only 1 of the players is "at fault" for a game's delay, that player will probably accrue all of the total assessed penalties that both players would have had.

For vacations or other real-life circumstances, accommodations will be made - just let the TD know as much in advance as possible.

Bugs

Happen. There were at least 3 in last year's tournament. If a bug should occur during gameplay, contact the TD as soon as possible and a decision will be made about how to handle the situation. If necessary, the game will be continued via PBeM.

The Swiss Format

After the first round, players will be matched as closely as possible based on similar records, Victory Point totals, and 14/28 day schedules. Players will never play in more than one match against one another.

14- vs. 28- Day Schedules

There will be some players who will need 28 days for their games. They will be paired against other 28-day players probably at least half of their matches. 28-day players will generally be playing in at least 2 matches simultaneously; 14-day players who may find themselves in matches with 28-day players will be on a 28-day schedule for those matches. The TD would prefer as many players as possible be on the 14-day schedule.

--

The TD may accept players after the announced sign-up deadline and up until the official tournament start only if slots are available and only on a first-come-first-served basis.

The TD would like to encourage players - especially those with limited timeframes in which they can play and those from disparate time zones - to communicate with their opponents to find best common times. Even a common one hour session on-line should result in several turns being played.

Players should always be tolerant and on their best manners. Any kind of abusive behavior will be dealt with on a case-by-case basis; players should inform the TD and/or the BGG Admins of any such instances. Basically, it will not be tolerated. I use as a model the ACBL (American Contract Bridge League) Zero Tolerance Guidelines ... http://www.acbl.org/play/zeroTolerance.html ... please consult this for examples of inappropriate behavior.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludes
United States
Honor
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I'll make additions/changes/clarifications to the rules with separate posts, rather than editing ...

1. If you have never played E&T here on BGG, please play a game or two to familiarize yourselves with the interface ...

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/tigris/gamemgr.php

2. For the first round (only), I will allow some lee-way on the 14-day schedule for any situations where we might have problems with gamestarts. I will also be doing a thorough survey of all games at about the 8- to 10-day point to see if there are games which cannot possibly be expected to finish within the 14-day framework and convert them to 28-day. I may make decisions about individual players at this point as well; I may also defer any decisions about players to a later time as well.

3. I don't expect things to necessarily go smoothly the first round, so please be considerate of me and my necessity to make these kinds of decisions. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Burke Glover
United States
Unspecified
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
Quote:
When in conflict, the BGG interface rules supersede the game rules.

Are you talking about something specific here? How are BGG rules different?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludes
United States
Honor
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HBGlover wrote:
Quote:
When in conflict, the BGG interface rules supersede the game rules.

Are you talking about something specific here? How are BGG rules different?

The only thing I absolutely know of for certain is that you are unable to simply remove a leader from the board as you are allowed to do with the regular game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SH W
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure if it is mentioned. But how many preliminary rounds do we have to play?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludes
United States
Honor
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Latria wrote:
I'm not sure if it is mentioned. But how many preliminary rounds do we have to play?

There are 8 rounds (that was not determined until I knew how many players there would be); nothing "preliminary" about them, everybody plays in all 8 rounds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.