Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Birzer
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the first time most of us have played Railroad Tycoon, but most of us have had experience with Age of Steam previously, so there wasn't much of a learning curve.

First things first was the ridiculus bidding for first turn. The bidding ended up going to $22K.

Initial placement was interesting. 4 of the 6 players ended up fighting it out in the NE. I (Green) took the mid south around Atlanta, since there was a good grouping of cubes down there, and the 6th guy (Yellow) went to Chicago, and quickly locked it up.

The guys in the NE found out quickly that they were stomping over each other, and tried to break out. Blue was probably in the best shape, with a hotel in Baltimore. He worked his way south to tangle with me. Purple headed west to Toronto and had a decent hold on the North. Red went across the mountains to the midwest, where he tangled with Yellow a bit. Black, who got the worst of it, totally abandoned the NE and went down to New Orleans to work that area.

In the south, I was getting good small shipments to the surrounding cities, including to the red city in the south. After getting some good breaks, like getting speed record and getting the bonus for shipping first to Raleigh, I was getting enough income to not have to take out any more shares (7 for me). That, and the fact that the only opponent I really had to tangle with. (Black was never a factor.)

Red was trying very hard to get the seven connection shipments to New York, since he was foiled in getting the New York-Chicago connection. Unfortunatly, Yellow shipped one of the red cubes he was going to ship.

Purple's fatal flaw was that he played RT like AoS, and was pushing his engine whenever he could. Unfortunatly, pushing engines in RT is more expensive than in AoS.

After pretty much having free reign, and having the Tycoon that gets a bonus for having the most money (which I had easily), I finished on top with 58 point. Yellow finished about 5 points behind me, with everyone else more than 20 back. Just goes to show that you shouldn't let your opponents out on their own.

Jason

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronster Zero
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree.
The player who has the least amount of other player interference has a good shot at winning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.