Popular Tags: [View All]
"GAME OVER, MAN. GAME OVER!"
Denmark
Aarhus
Unwashed and somewhat slightly dazed...
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hooray! Yesterday I got those teensy-weensy samurai models that I ordered a month ago, and they are perfect with all their historically correct detailing...
And why should this be relevant to Memoir 44 players you might ask... Well, the deal is, after playing Memoir for a while, it struck me that the basic game mechanics would be perfect for samurai battles in the late Sengoku period, a period in japanese history where battles were fought according to a very peculiar "set of rules". And the Memoir system is abstract enough to be easily adaptable to the new troop types as well. So with a few modifications plus a few rules ideas from Ancients, this could be rather fun! The rules ideas have been rumaging around in my head for a while now, so it´s time to scratch down a prototype and get playtesting... If any of you have similar ideas and maybe even tried them out, hit me! And if ther´s any interest I´ll come back later with more on the subject...
By the way, the figures are from russian producers Zvezda, check them out...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Borges
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, it's good to see someone with similar ideas.
One of my first "wargames" (not too many years ago, mind you) was Samurai Swords. It was just after I had read Clavell's Shogun, so it's not surprising I was instantly in love.
Then after playing Memoir '44 a few times, I KNEW the C&C style would be great for a medieval Japan game. I started searching for miniatures, and found the (too-few) great sets by Zvezda. I never did buy them, but I put it on the list of wants
And then C&C:Ancients came out, and I got really happy, because the ancient system, I believe, works better with the samurai battles.
AND THEN I heard that Borg has a bunch of other eras already made, they just need to be made (if ever). I'm hoping one is samurai, because that's a definite buy for me. Perhaps GMT will do it if their GBoH Samurai II does well?

Please do give us more info and post pictures and all that. It will be a great game, for sure, especially with those fantastic Zvezda minis and the C&C mechanics.
Do you have GMT's Samurai? If accurate, I'm sure those would be great help in constructing the scenarios.

Keep us updated!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Kendall
United States
Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Justin, if you already have "Samurai Swords," why don't you use those figs for Samurai Memoir? If you want cav you can just buy a couple boxes of Zvezda samurai cavalry and spray them with Krylon Fusion in the preferred side color and you're all set.

I agree that C&CA has some superior aspects for Samurai warfare, but I'm intrigued by the thought of using the M44 deck, substituting Samurai for Armor when those cards are played and considering the "death from above" Air Strike and long-range artillery cards as a traitor or ninja attack somewhere in the army.

Thanks for the idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denmark
Aarhus
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the feedback guys...
I can´t find any links for GBoH samurai here on the geek, but I´ll be checking out the web for this...
I bought 4 sets of infantry and 2 sets of cavalry, so I´m still unpacking and gluing the minis. And I´m currently putting the finishing touches to painting my Memoir minis, so it will be a little while before I get to actually painting the samurai... One of the ideas I´m going to try out is making six diferent clans/factions with slight variations in their composition, and then having each player randomly draw a faction for each section of the board. Or maybe making a bidding system. I don´t have C&C Ancients, so I can´t use that as a basis for the rules, but I will try out Ideas for leaders, flank attacks and battling back... The troops I intend to use will be three different types of Ashigaru, the handgunners, archers and bowmen. Samurai will be cavalry and foot troopers and maybe I´ll have a few units of Samurai archers and handgunners too. A small problem with the Zvezda sets is that there are more Samurai than Ashigaru, and I would have liked, for historical accuracy; to have it the other way around. Have to buy more sets then...I plan to have Ashigaru in 4-man units and Samurai in 3-man units as well. Samurai cavalry will function like tanks, and handgunners, archers and Ashigaru with long spears will be able to "battle back" BEFORE their attackers. I am currently also playing with the idea of using a delayed order system, so that you choose what card to play in advance, but with a messenger system, (there are these messenger/depeche Samurai included in the Zvezda Headquarter set) to allow you to react more directly to your opponent. Also the ninjas could be used as markers to show that units couldnt move/attack, because of confusion/sabotage/poisoning or whatever... And you should probably be able to assasinate enemy leaders as well... Hmm.. I think it´s time to start writing all this down and get cracking...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TJ
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am very interested in this thread, I've been collecting 15mm Samurai, mostly Two Dragons, as well as 25mm for the intent of doing a large version of "Samurai Swords/Shogun". I also have Avalon Hill's "Samurai", which I have heard will lend itself well to minis's.

I would love to be involved in re-writing the cards from M44, I suggest a collaboration...what do you think?

-Tim
theglees@comcast.net
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denmark
Aarhus
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just replied to your geekmail, BEFORE checking the post here, so that answered my question.
A collaboration sounds like fun. I was thinking along the line of keeping the original section cards as are, keeping the appropriate special cards, like "Straight from HQ" and thinking up alternatives for the inappropriate ones, like "Air strike". I am not very proficient with photoshop and the like, but new cards with appropriate artwork would be cool. Also, I wasn´t planning on doing specific scenarios, but going the way of the more generic battle. What brand are your Samurai? Mine are from russian producers Zvezda. I ask because this might be important in regards to what units we have available, respectively.
Jesper.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Smith
United States
Perry Hall
Maryland
flag msg tools
IA!! IA!!
badge
FTAGHN!
mbmbmbmbmb
just a mention,

the new game "battle lore" is a new game in the C&C system that uses a medieval timeframe. While It also includes "fantasy" elements like magic, it seems as if those could be omitted to use a pure medieval system. That would probably work well with this period, as whilethe tactis were different, as well as the mindset of those involved, the technology in medieval japan did not differ much from medievel europe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Brown
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice topic, makes me want to get my butt in gear. I've been tossing this idea around for a long,long time(along with alot of money spent!). The great thing about the ZVEZDA figures are that several of the figures have the flag that can be added or taken off of the mini. - Is this perfect or what!!! You may only have to paint the flags different colors for each side. They have I believe 17 different minis that would work.(not counting the army headquarters set-which has some good minis also)
Another nice feature is the Age of Battles, page that comes in each box of figures. This can help when trying to figure out some of the stats they had in mind when they made the rules to the game system. Movement,attack,defense,initiative and cost are already provided. We just need to come up with a way of convert it over to C&CA.
Now for the good part. Here is what I have in mind. Take the PC game Shogun Total War(which I happen to have the strategy guide also)which has 6 historical battles already mapped out with units and locations. All we have to do is convert the units from the PC game over to the ZVEZDA minis and then convert to C&CA units. With the copies of Memoir and the expansions, it should be no problem to make the battle fields pretty close. Between the Total War version and the Warlord version of the PC game it even adds more units and historical battles.
I believe it should be easy(...cough) to come up with transforming this system over to this time period. Using C&CA units and rules and modify the units using the Age of Battles and Total War units/maps as a guide it can be done. Oh, did I mention that Osprey has a series of books that could and will help along with the conversion?
A project to be looked at...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denmark
Aarhus
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, the point is moot now anyways...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tsar Count
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You should try Samurai Battles
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denmark
Aarhus
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Heh!

Did you have the thread subscribed Dan, or just happen to accidentally fall over it minutes after I posted?

Samurai Battles made me remeber this thread, and I just had to go back and check it... And get closure...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tsar Count
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jtspecial wrote:
Heh!

Did you have the thread subscribed Dan, or just happen to accidentally fall over it minutes after I posted?

Samurai Battles made me remeber this thread, and I just had to go back and check it... And get closure...
I stalk you ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denmark
Aarhus
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

And thanks for the tip!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tsar Count
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jtspecial wrote:

And thanks for the tip!
Adding or Editing a post that is seven years old is something I would totally do. I will have to game with you some day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denmark
Aarhus
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, that's not weird at all!

And likewise...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.