Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Sommer
Denmark
copenhagen downtown
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We did this before But I lost The results so lets try to get a good military reading list of best books going :-)

here is a start

John Ellis-the sharp end of war
Eugene B sledge-china marine
michael herr-dispatches
alvin kernan-crossing the line
john erikson-the road to stalingrad
John beaumont-comrades in arms
ronald spector-eagle against the sun
gottlob herbert-bidermann in deadly combat
kazuo tamayama-tales by japanese soldiers of the burma campaign
nicholas warr-phase line green
marc bloch-strange defeat
joanna bourke-an intimate history of killing
guy sajer-forgotten soldier
R M Connaugton-The war of the rising sun and tumbling bear
Karen armstrong-The battle for god
John Ellis-one day in a very long war
E B sledge-with the old breed
william manchester -goodbye darkness
John Ellis-Cassino-hollow victory
Robert graves-goodbye to all that
Bernard Fall-Hell in a very small place
David Howarth-A near run thing
Peter connolly-Greece and rome at war
John Keegan-Second world war
niall ferguson-the pity of war
John keegan-six armies in normandy
william craig -enemy at the gates
john keegan-the face of battle
ernst junger-storm of steel
James Jones-the thin red line

Any more tips??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Smith
United States
Port Arthur
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Robert Crisp- Brazen Chariots

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I have a mildly large collection of military themed books, but here are six of my favorites:

Barbarossa - Alan Clark: Excellent one volume history of the WWII Russo-German conflict.

Imperial Grunts - Robert Kaplan: First hand account of modern day US military operations around the world.

Battle Cry of Freedom - James McPherson: An engaging single volume history of the American Civil War.

The First World War - Martin Gilbert: This account of the First World War is one of the best, if saddest, histories I have ever read. Was depressed for a week after finishing it.

Stalingrad - Antony Beevor: A great retelling of the saga of the German advance and the eventual Russian counteroffensive.

Queen Victoria's Little Wars - Byron Farwell: A history of the various expeditions and operations conducted by British forces during the height of the Empire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver PhoDOGrapher
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Gwynne Dyer - War

Single volume overview the subject. Lots of tid bits that lead to deeper research.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Eager
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
DBA Junkie
badge
"A Book should serve as the Ax for the frozen sea within us."-- KAFKA
mbmbmbmbmb
ninja I don't read a lot of military "novels", but I do read quite a bit of military history. I can certainly recommend the works of B.H. Liddell-Hart (my fave is Scipio Africanus) and David Chandler (arguably the greatest scholar of the Napoleonic era). I especially like reading the accounts that come from the leaders themselves.
Caesar's Commentaries
George S. Patton's War As I Knew It
Erwin Rommel Infantry Attacks
Rommel's son Manfred also recently published Rommel's journals and letters home as The Rommel Papers. This is a great book that gives a lot of insight into the war in North Africa. ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mahaffey
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
GAME ARTIST
badge
GAME ARTIST
mbmbmbmbmb
Michael Shaara: The Killer Angels
Steven Pressfield: Gates of Fire, Tides of War, Virtues of War
Shelby Foote's "The Civil War: A Narrative"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sommer
Denmark
copenhagen downtown
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cabalzero wrote:
ninja I don't read a lot of military "novels", but I do read quite a bit of military history. I can certainly recommend the works of B.H. Liddell-Hart (my fave is Scipio Africanus) and David Chandler (arguably the greatest scholar of the Napoleonic era). I especially like reading the accounts that come from the leaders themselves.
Caesar's Commentaries
George S. Patton's War As I Knew It
Erwin Rommel Infantry Attacks
Rommel's son Manfred also recently published Rommel's journals and letters home as The Rommel Papers. This is a great book that gives a lot of insight into the war in North Africa. ninja

I was deeply sadden by pattons work which was based on his diaries after his death and I'm sure He would not have been happy with the result ...I had to actually throw this book in the garbage it was so bad ..as would have he

I rarely throw books away but the structure of this book was so bad.Better not too have been transscribed ...

Great military leaders are rarely great objective writers , caesar being a cunning self promoters of course.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sommer
Denmark
copenhagen downtown
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the tips , I have ordered most of the books from the library....luckily I live near the main Royal Danish central Military Library :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
Since my specialty is the Battle of Gettysburg (often called the most written about battle in history) here's a few books I always recommend to folks on the battle.

Gettysburg by Stephen Sears: Pretty much anything by Sears is worth reading. My only complaint on this book is Sears is unfairly harsh on Henry Heth.

Gettysburg A Study in Command by Edwin Coddington: 45 years old and still a fantastic book. Some effects of the Lost Cause myth can still be seen in the book in the area of Longstreet but still a must read for anyone studying the battle.

A Strange and Blighted Land by Greg Coco: You have a town of 2,500 people suddenly with 6,000+ dead soldiers and 25,000+ wounded. What happens after the armies moved on was as facinating and perhaps even more horrifying than the battle.

Stand Fast Ye Boys from Maine by Tom Desjardin: Ok, the 20th Maine didn't save the Union at Gettysburg as legend sometimes says but they did put up a hell of a fight. One of the best regiment books.

Gettysburg July 1 by David Martin: Covers the 1st day's action and covers it better than any other book on it. Might be my favorite book on the battle.

Early Photography at Gettysburg by William Frassanito: Had the good fortune to sit and have a few drinks with Bill one night on a trip to The Burg. Delightful gentleman. The book is the first comprehensive study of all the photographs taken in the weeks after the battle. Some of the results were ground breaking including Bill's discovery that the most famous photograph of the Battle, the Sharpshooters photo was faked. He also was able to pinpoint the exact location of the speaker's platform in the cemetery and thus where Lincoln actually gave the Gettysburg Address.

Gettysburg: The Second Day by Harry Pfanz: Pfanz may know more about Gettysburg than any man alive today. I could put every book by Pfanz wrote about Gettysburg on this list.

Pickett's Charge--The Last Attack at Gettysburg by Earl Hess: More information than most folks would ever need to know about the charge.

Guide to the Battle of Gettysburg (U.S. Army War College Guides to Civil War Battles) by Jay Luvaas: Ueful book for someone visting the battlefield for the first time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Destiny's got her hand way, way up in their puppets! It's an unpleasant tingling! The deepest of wriggles!
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
But my greatest power is this: When Destiny speaks, she speaks to me. She says hi, by the way.
badge
Oh! And I've been killing the bees!
mbmbmbmbmb
Ghost Soldiers, Hampton Sides
Steel My Soldiers' Hearts, David Hackworth
We Were Soldiers Once...and Young, Harold Moore and Joseph Galloway
Flags of Our Fathers, James Bradley
It Never Snows in September, Robert Kershaw
Saving the Breakout, Alwyn Featherston
Roll Me Over: An Infantryman's World War II, Raymond Gantter
Science Goes to War, Ernest Volkman

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sommer
Denmark
copenhagen downtown
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mistermarino wrote:
Ghost Soldiers, Hampton Sides
It Never Snows in September, Robert Kershaw

A Brilliant account of the bridge too far cock up in holland from a german point of view ,Highly recommended . Excellent full of personal narritives and orginal sources.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mahaffey
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
GAME ARTIST
badge
GAME ARTIST
mbmbmbmbmb
O yeah, Flags of our Fathers is excellent. Good call.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M@tthijs
Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
This user is outstanding in mediocre videogaming
badge
Did you visit my www.kobudovenlo.nl? It has game info
mbmbmbmbmb
Nicholas Monsarrat - The Cruel Sea, history-based tale about WW-II convoys. Probably the best there is.
William Craig - Enemy at the Gates, historical eye-witness accounts of Stalingrad events (WW-II)
Digby Smith - Charge! Great Cavalry Charges of the Napoleonic Wars, historical, name says it all

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crypt Keeper
United States
California
flag msg tools
None shall pass!
badge
'Tis but a scratch.
mbmbmbmbmb
The Art of War - by Sun Tzu
Brave Men's Blood: The Epic of the Zulu War 1879 - by Ian Knight

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sommer
Denmark
copenhagen downtown
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
West2 wrote:
O yeah, Flags of our Fathers is excellent. Good call.

Just ordered from the library ...the clint eastwood filming of it wrapped in november 2005 ..he is going to film a companion film from the japanese POV...very bold I must say

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
A L D A R O N
badge
----[---->+<]>++.+++++++++++.--------.---.>-[--->+<]>---.---.-.
mb
An Army at Dawn, Rick Atkinson
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0805074481/?tag=article-boa...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sommer
Denmark
copenhagen downtown
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldaron wrote:

This book is without doubt the best piece of military historical writing I have seen in about 15 years .

Outstanding.

Stephen ambrose's (a very americancentric writer whom I don't like so much) work is like a a 5 year old's crayon drawing compared to this piece of research.

HIGHLY HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

I can wait for him to complete his next volume.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
the one and only
Germany
Nettetal - Kaldenkirchen
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
2 German novels about WW II:
Thoedor Plievier: Stalingrad
Lothar-Guenther Buchheim: Das Boot (The Boat)
This novel has later been put in a 6 part tv-series and a motion picture.
Buchheim was a war-photographer on a German submarine. After The Boat was a great success he published:
U-boot Krieg (U Boat War), containing some of his photos along with comments.

edit: somehow the umlaute don't seem to work anymore. they really look strange. changed it into 'ue'

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sommer
Denmark
copenhagen downtown
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
oldmanrivah wrote:
TiNYTimIDFluffYBunnY wrote:

Any more tips??

They're hopelessly fictional, but

THE FOREVER WAR by Joe Haldeman
STARSHIP TOROPERS by Robert A. Heinlein
BILL THE GALACTIC HERO by Harry Harrison

All are excellent books with bill being one of my favourites :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.