BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Any good multiplayer games? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kev Cattanach
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hi, im new to BGG.

Every week me and my freinds have a gaming night and are looking for new games to play.

Just now, we usually play atmosfear, colditz, risk, pictionary, etc.

Im looking for games for about 15 - 25 years old.
Theres always about 10 of us, so if anyone know games that can reach up to that amount, please reply.

It doesnt matter if it doesnt make then as long as its more than 5

Thank you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Have faith
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Would you consider breaking into 2 or 3 groups? There are a lot of great games that play 3 to 5 players.

Also, please give more details, if possible, about what kinds of games you are looking for.

In general, I would look at the highest rated games and see what appeals to you.

The game rankings:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/browser.php?itemtype=game&sortb...

What people say they are actually playing:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/playstats.php3?action=docustomq...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev Cattanach
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Its ok if its divided into groups.

The type of games we like, is the ones where you can back stab or turn back on people, or colourful?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Fuller
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
to keep it one group Apples to Apples is a great, hilarious game that plays up to 10

If you break into groups, be prepared to browse this site for hours and spend lot's of money. There are so many great games you will get overwhelmed. Not that that is a bad thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Have faith
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For backstabbing, check out:
Diplomacy
Citadels
Intrigue http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/265

Also look into:
RoboRally
A Game of Thrones http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/6472
among others

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev Cattanach
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
HI, thanks for the help

any others?

or any where you actually play the role of something, like Arkham horror but not bad like it

Ive been wanting Cosmic Encounter for a while, but i would only get the Mayfair version but i cant get the Mayfair version,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Darden
United States
Lake Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mall of Horror. It handles 6, it's got a great theme (zombies have you pinnned in stores in a mall), and it has backstabbing galore. The main mechanic in the game is voting for who you're going to throw to the zombies to make them happy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Key
England
Guildford
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Like someone said, split into a couple of groups and go for the top rated games, you can't go wrong.

For the "roles" thing, you could check out Twilight Imperium 3, Descent or World of Warcraft, the Board Game I guess.

If so far its been Risk and the like, make Settlers of Catan an early step. With an expansion it plays 6.

Bootleggers has plenty of backstabbing. Wallenstein?

Oh and Shadows Over Camelot - roles and for one guy lots of backstabbing, but read the rules and see how well its likely to work.

Finally, to all stay as one group, with roles and backstabbing, try Werewolf (or Mafia as its sometimes known). Its public domain really, with a pack of playing cards, although you can by 'official' ones.

They are all look-up-able here on the geek.
Welcome and have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Farrell
Australia
Rozelle
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Averagely Inadequate
badge
Buster Keaton from 'Go West'
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadows Over Camelot sounds like a good place to start.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Washington
United States
Unspecified
New York
flag msg tools
bigkev wrote:
Its ok if its divided into groups.

The type of games we like, is the ones where you can back stab or turn back on people, or colourful?

Gotta back on CITADELS quite heavily - each turn you're building areas of a city, but also take on roles of important people - King, Wizard, Asassin - who have special abilities, trying to be the 1st to complete 7 city areas.

Great whacking huge amounts of backstabbing, bluffing, counterbluffing, and screw your neighbor. For extra fun, the characters have a numbered order which dictates turn order and the potency of their abilities is scaled to their order i.e. the first and second have the weakest abuilities, whereas the sixth and seventh has massive building superiority and utlimate screw-your-neighbor power as abilities...to top it off, it's one of the few that can handle as many as 8 players, though it can be hellishly long with more than 5 if you don't lower the victory requirements - one less district for every player over 5 should do it.

Really can't be beat.

MAHARAJA is a little heavy, but not awful, and features a very similar mechanics of characters with abilities who determine turn order, but features two entirely different mechanics for screwing people over, one of which allows for regularly screwing with everyone else at once.

FIST OF DRAGONSTONES leans towards the lighter side, but is quite solid, has very little downtime (can be a problem in CITADELS until all players are familiar with the characters)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Diosi
Canada
Newcastle
Ontario
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree w/rivah. Fist of Dragonstones is good for light gaming but little downtime, plus you can mess with your opponents

Doc

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hayden Scott
Australia
Glen Iris
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, not really. But there a couple of good two players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
VETRHUS of Rogaland
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
An ash I know, Yggdrasil its name. With water white is the great tree wet; thence come the dews that fall in the dales. Green by Urth's well does it ever grow.
mbmbmbmbmb
The Nuclear War series, by Flying Buffalo Games, if played together, are fantastic in large groups:

Nuclear War, Nuclear Proliferation, Weapons of Mass Destruction, and the newly reprinted Nuclear Escacation.

Put them together in any combination, print out more placecards, and go.

The game is hilarious. It allows for quite a bit of interaction, conflict & revenge, twists, turns, and unexpected outcomes. And you don't have to win to have a BLAST... sorry about that pun.

Seriously, there are times when you all are destroyed in a chain reaction nuclear conflict. This is truly hilarious--even to someone like me who is a stickler for playing games to win.

You can play several games in succession without expending large amounts of time, and the game in a large group is more enjoyable.

Apples To Apples is also a game which is fun in large groups, especially when playing the ROTTEN APPLES variant, where you try to match the antithesis or opposite of the turned card.

And, when someone wins, you all look at your "won" cards, and read them aloud. This is supposed to say something about each player. Usually really hearty group laughs follow.

I respect so much about the humour of people in the UK. Sarcasm, caustic remarks, wordplay, and the like. Both of these games should appeal and thrive in your group--if you resemble those remarks... LOL.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludes
United States
Honor
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Can't recall if the maximum is 7 or 8, but Junta can be great fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev Cattanach
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hi,

Thanks for your Help

I read about some of those games and bought them
I got bootleggers, Werewolves and Mall of Horror

I also got Mystery of the Abbey for a laugh, and i got Dante's Inferno.

Im poor now

Feel free to suggest more games as some of my friends might buy them this time

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bigkev wrote:
Hi,

Thanks for your Help

I read about some of those games and bought them
I got bootleggers, Werewolves and Mall of Horror

I also got Mystery of the Abbey for a laugh, and i got Dante's Inferno.

Im poor now

Feel free to suggest more games as some of my friends might buy them this time

Okay, I'll suggest (and second) some other choices...

Shadows Over Camelot (handles 7, 8 with the expansion character)
Knizia's Lord of the Rings (handles 5, 6 with Sauron expansion)
Formula De (supports larger groups, but big groups might have too much downtime)

All are light-to-medium complexity, fit large groups well, have a solid theme, and sound like they'll fit the bill nicely.

You MIGHT also go with A Game of Thrones, which is heavier in rules density but is still relatively "light" compared to other war games. Has plenty of diplomacy, great theme, and supports 5 (or 6 with the Clash of Kings expansion).

Lastly, I'll suggest Fury of Dracula. Handles 5. Read over the rules on FFG's site before purchasing to make sure, as it is also a bit more heavy than the earlier choices. No backstabbing but a nice "1 versus the other 4" mechanic, and if you get stomped by the hunters, you can swap up and try to exact your revenge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.