Mike Willner
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,
I've taken to clipping the edges of my wargame counters, and using a standard nail clipper I am getting very uneven results. Also, I'm not getting rounded corners, but rather a 'square off' effect, making each counter into an octogon.

Is there some specialized tool for this? I heard of a counter clipping tool but can't locate one.

Thanks,
Mike

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Karp
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
admin
Developin' Developin" Developin!!
badge
100 geekgold for OverText, and all I got was this stupid sentence.
mbmbmb
You're looking for a counter clipping jig, like this one:

(I also tried to upload the picture to Miscellaneous game accessories, but it is a lousy pic, and probably won't get through.)
To use this, you push the counter into the corner of the jig, then use a nail clipper to cut off the corner. You always cut off the same amount, becuase of the jig. You could probably make something yourself, without too much trouble, or maybe find one to buy with the help of a Google search.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Huntington Station
New York
flag msg tools
badge
CARL Corner Rounding Punch

http://ageofgods.com/pics/Carl_CP_6A.jpg

Mixed results with laminated materials, but easily repaired.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Aleknevicus
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
Quote:

Absolutely worthless for clipping counters.

A cheap method of making a home-made jig similar to the one Daniel mentions is the use a CD case (the clear, bottom portion). Use sandpaper to wear down one corner to your desired depth.

This has been a recent topic on Consimworld and it seems that finding a pre-made jig is quite difficult.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Rodriguez
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
I've ordered quite a few of the plastic counter clipping jigs (showed in the photo) from a Ted Carlson (though it's been over a year). You can reach him here: straytopcat@msn.com unless his email has changed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crocker
United States
Westland
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dakarp...or anyone. Where exactly can I find a listing for "miscellaneous game accessories", here at BGG?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Yeackle
United States
San Luis Obispo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Velusion wrote:
I've ordered quite a few of the plastic counter clipping jigs (showed in the photo) from a Ted Carlson (though it's been over a year). You can reach him here: straytopcat@msn.com unless his email has changed.

Check his site out:

http://www.dicetower.20m.com/

Hope this helps!

jeff

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan McKinney
United States
El Segundo
California
flag msg tools
badge
greg wrote:
Quote:

Greg, I take it you've used this exact device, not the similar paper punches you see in craft stores? I'm curious because of the apparently quite different opinions people have expressed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain K
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
The problem I've found with the corner rounders found in hobby and craft stores is that the radius in the corner is too large.

I had this same thread topic a couple months ago and nothing better then this "mystery" corner rounder was suggested.

Hell I might just design one (that's what I do) and get it 3D plotted. If I do, you guys will be the first to know

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mats Persson
Sweden
Linköping
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I use a very sharp cutting knife ( like found in http://www.olfablades.com ) to cut the corners of the counters. Just chop off half a millimeter from the corner. A bit tedious, but very neat results.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Karp
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
admin
Developin' Developin" Developin!!
badge
100 geekgold for OverText, and all I got was this stupid sentence.
mbmbmb
Crockerdile wrote:
dakarp...or anyone. Where exactly can I find a listing for "miscellaneous game accessories", here at BGG?

It is listed as a game under that title:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/5985

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Palfreyman
United Kingdom
Swindon
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
BrooklynMike wrote:
Hi,
I've taken to clipping the edges of my wargame counters

Why? A bit off topic, so sorry, and I'm not being a troll here (honest!) - I'm just curious why you want to do this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain K
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Three reasons I can think of:

(1) trimmed counters stack better
(2) trimmed counters are easier to move about without getting "snagged" on counters adjacent to them
(3) As crazy as it sounds, trimming counters is a little therapeutic, as I suppose needlepoint or any repetitive, brainless use of the hands can be.

Oh, and they look better trimmed . . .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Huntington Station
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Quote:
Quote:

My experience is that it's easier to use for larger counters. For smaller counters I use something else to push it into the device. And it is a problem for thick counters, maybe useless, for say anything thicker that about 1.5mm. I prefer to use it for counters that I make myself.

The thing cuts off ~1.5mm at its longest point, for a rounded triangle affect with the largest side at 5mm (.5cm), rounded out of course so it doesn't cut off everything but it won't then work for chits with a lot of text at the very edge. The short sides of the resulting cutout are ~3mm. It won't work for everything, but when it does it's great. A pin or something can be useful to remove the chaff.

I got the img tags right this time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Aleknevicus
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
Well, if you've used it Chris then that experience speaks for itself. From your description it does sound as though the device you mention is quite a but smaller than the very similar ones I've seen (and used). Most have a cutting radius of 3-4mm (at least) which means that even if you could fully fit a counter into the thing, it'd wind up being practically circular.

Even a 1.5mm radius is more than I'd personally be willing to use, but at that size it would not be exactly worthless as I first declared.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Aleknevicus
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
citizen k wrote:
Oh, and they look better trimmed . . .

I think so too although it should be noted that this can be a divisive issue among wargamers. There are many who feel that counters are ruined if trimmed (however neatly) and so it can affect the resale value of a game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain K
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
For those of us caught in the Dark Ages . . .

3 mm is approximately 1/8 inch (3.2mm)

1.5mm is approximately 1/16 inch

I'd like to find a trimmer that cuts at about 1mm or 1/32 inch radius (0.8mm).

The jig is an interesting alternative . . . I plan to make one

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Well, I usually 'use' some "toenail clippers" myself for this, with there being '2' kinds of them: a type with a 'curved'-(inwards) "clippers"; and another with 'straight'-(across) "clippers". Depending upon whether or NOT you want these "rounded" or "clipped"-(angular), or just "trimmed" with 'pointy'-corners, then that is what you strive for. I've seen some of them "octangular`d" kinds and I don't advocate getting THAT "obsessed" for 'this'!
cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Kaiser
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GROGnads wrote:
Well, I usually 'use' some "toenail clippers" myself for this, with there being '2' kinds of them: a type with a 'curved'-(inwards) "clippers"; and another with 'straight'-(across) "clippers". Depending upon whether or NOT you want these "rounded" or "clipped"-(angular), or just "trimmed" with 'pointy'-corners, then that is what you strive for. I've seen some of them "octangular`d" kinds and I don't advocate getting THAT "obsessed" for 'this'!
cool

Wait a minute, I actually understood what Grogs just wrote!!!! Must be some kind of bug or something! Aldie, can we get this fixed so Grogs returns to his normal incomprehensible self?!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.