Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas Blaine
United States
Fulton
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just had my first session tonight with my usual gaming buddy. I love the components and really want to love this game, which I've been drooling over since last summer and bought new recently at 75% off (you read right).

We started slowly, both of us a little timid. I got a slight advantage from mine placement, but got aggressive in getting to the monolith first and then taking the lead with battles. My opponent was a little gun shy and only half-heartedly engaged in a few battles of his own, which meant that after an hour with some even rolling I was very much in the lead in points and was the runaway winner for production and territory control. My opponent conceded when I got to 8 points to his 3.

Lesson #1: Be very agressive! It doesn't pay to be suicidal, but even odds are good enough. You need to earn points to win this game, and you generally don't earn points unless you start battles and take risks.

Lesson #2: Explore as far and fast as you can! Try to get outlying areas before closer ones if you can (Rock spiders and Lava Leapers are great for this, with their extra movement), since it's easy to backtrack once the 'frontier' has been established. Those bonus units are only available once, and they go fast.

Lesson #3: Control the monolith. The energize cards can be very decisive and two automatically a round is a lot.

So far so good, but I'm concerned that this game tends towards runaway winners, at least in 2 player games. I'll have to play with a more agressive opponent to find out.

ThomasinNY

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Mathews
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The thing that I've noticed about this game is that the different number of players produce different games. Personally I feel that 2-player games are the weakest because there is so much money to be had and it seems that there are run-away winners stemming from whoever wins a major battle in mid-game or can hold the Monolith for a while.

3-player games play much better than 2 because there seems to be a bit more balance with mines and it makes choices more difficult. This game really shines with 4 players though, especailly the team variant. The money is harder to come by and the strategic choices are more plentiful and difficult. I would definately suggest finding another 1 or 2 people when you play it next.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.