Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Russell Webb
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Initially, we misunderstood the rules and had the defender choosing which character battled first when a location with two characters is attacked. We realized the mistake and started playing correctly.

The interesting conclusion is that we like the game better when the defender can choose the battle order.

Allowing the defender to choose removes the most truly random element from the game. As the rules are written the defender chooses without seeing the characters (which is true randomness).

Now obviously the game wasn't designed this way, so it's probably not as well balanced but we find it to be very competitive. With Defender's Choice the game is more strategic feeling to us. I think it helps Light more because of Light has many weak or special attack characters. Obviously, it makes Sam less special, but it does nicely simplify the rules for Sam.

Another option is to only give Defender's Choice to one side and not the other.

Give it a try and report your preference here.

Cheers,
Russ

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Pressler
United States
West Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
OMG! Overtext! How long have I been sleeping?! OVERTEXT! Also, I'm a DESIGNER now?! Sweet! OVERTEXXXXXXT!
badge
HO HO HO! Give me some money!
mbmbmbmbmb
I presume that the defender was not allowed to see what the attacker's piece was before choosing. That would be all too powerful, although I suppose that certain movement abilities would sometimes give away what the attacking piece is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Webb
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good question. Perhaps surprisingly, we enjoy playing with the sequence:

1. attacker reveals character
2. defender chooses and reveals character
3. resolve battle
4. if attacking character survives, battle the remaining character

That does mean that attacking a location with two defenders is risky. The defender always getting their optimal battle order (rather than getting it 50% of the time) is an advantage, but both sides have the same advantage.

Since the players have to move forward the game doesn't seem to become defensive.

I'd be interested to hear from anyone trying this rule variant. We've played both ways now and just don't like the randomness of the attacker choosing blindly.

Russ

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.