Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
A fan of new Knizia games
mbmbmbmbmb
We broke out Britannia to try the 2 player scenario, that pits the Romans, Irish and Caledonians against everybody else, over the first five turns of the game. This is pretty much a Roman training scenario - both how to play them and how to deal with them. Playing time is a touch over an hour, and the only special rules are the Brigantes, Belgae, Welsh and Picts must submit if the trigger occurs.

Turn 1 saw the Romans sweep in. The first half of their major invasion saw Sussex, Kent, Wessex, Avalon, Hwicce, South Mercia, Essex, Suffolk and Devon fall. Attacking the Welsh in Devon was a bit of a risk, but if it came off (which it did), then they can sweep across the straight and cause the Welsh to submit by taking the vunerable Dyfed.

The second half of the Roman major invasion mopped up North Mercia (Belgae have to submit, giving the Romans points for Downlands, Lindsay and Norfolk), March, Cheshire, York, Bernicia, Dyfed (Welsh submit, handing over points for the rest of Wales). Points at the end of the Roman turn were: Rome 45, Belgae 2, Welsh 4, Brigantes 6. Turn one saw the loss of for Roman armies.

Boudicca jumps into her chariot as the Belgae get restless and "unsubmit". With lots of points for destroyed Roman forts on offer, they bag Suffolk and South Mercia. Belgae gain 12 points for their bit of mischief.

The rest of the tribes sit and breed.

Turn 2 sees the Roman onslaught continue. Cumbria and Lothian fall, which sees the Brigantes submit, handing over six more points for the Pennines, Strathclyde adn Galloway. The Romans touch base with the Picts and take Dunedin for four more points. They are now on 59 points. Roman roads in the new edition make the movement logistics much easier to manage.

The Belgae managed to preserve Boudicca, and the Belgae come out again for a fight. Both their attacks on Sussex and Wessex fail, and the Belgae are out of the game.

The Welsh place a new unit in Gywnedd. The Brigantes breed. The Caledonians place a new unit in Caithness and decide to help their Roman allies by whacking the Picts in Moray - it works. Pict submission got one area easier. The blue factions had a pretty miserable game.

Turn 3 - the Picts submit easily to the Romans and fork over another 12 points. The Romans begin filtering back south to start squatting on their valuable Lime points (York, Essex, etc). It was a fairly boring turn of breeding, however the Irish raided the Roman fort at Dyfedd and decided to stay.

Turn 4 - the Irish raid Avalon and succeed. The Scots land at Dalriada. The Jutes defeat the defending Roman army at Kent, but are destroyed in the process. The Saxons say "thanks" and land in Kent and bag the Roman fort (not good play as the Jutes really need Kent for their 8 points on turn V). The Angles are destroyed trying to land at Lindsay and North Mercia.

Turn 5 - the final turn. The Scots hit Strathclyde and kill two Brigantes (forgetting that they were giving their Roman friends Lime points!). The troublesome Irish go after the Fort at Devon but fail for once. The Jutes try again and this time succeed in landing in Sussex. The Saxons bag the Fort at South Mercia for six points, but lose at Wessex. The Angles succeed this time in taking Lindsay, but miss out on taking the Fort at Bernicia - a miserable game for blue.

Scores:
Romans 123, Scots 8, Caledonians 14.
Total 145

Irish 8, Saxons 22, Belgae 14, Picts 6, Brigantes 9, Welsh 11, Jutes 14, Angles 8.
Total 96

Good fun. Not sure about the balance. The fact that the nations must submit to the Romans means the Romans can make some pretty precise moves to maximise their scoring. They can't really be hurt until the turn 4/5 raiders come along, by that time they are back from Scotland and sitting on their coastal Lime points. Looking forwards to trying it again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Braund
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Depending on how your first one of these scenarios goes you may feel that side has the advantage.

I know a lot of people struggled to get the Romans to win.

I think with two-player games of any kind you play it once, then you try to crack it from the other side.

And if you were playing this as a game in itself, not practice, you would make sure the Brigs made it difficult for the Romans to get at the Picts. That probably wouldn't happen in a four-player - Brigs don't want to be roadkill.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Van Voorn
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Turn 2 sees the Roman onslaught continue. Cumbria and Lothian fall, which sees the Brigantes submit, handing over six more points for the Pennines, Strathclyde adn Galloway.

Reading the session report, I thought you made a mistake, because of the following rule (p. 15)

Quote:
Belgae Submission to Roman
Rule
The Belgae may submit to the Romans only on the
Roman nation turn of Round 1, if the Belgae are reduced
to four or fewer areas. They “unsubmit” on their own
turn in Round 1 before their Population Increase Phase
(this represents Boudicca’s revolt). Their reinforcing
army is placed in whichever Belgae area the leader
Boudicca is placed, without regard to stacking limits.

However, then I read the 2 player-scenario rules (p. 19)

Quote:
EARLY INVADERS VS. INHABITANTS OF BRITAIN
Player 1: the Romans, the Caledonians, and the Scots.
Player 2: ever other nation.
This scenario lasts only to the end of Round 5.
Setup: As at the start of the four-player game.
Special rules: The Belgae, the Welsh, the Brigantes, and
the Picts must submit to the Romans if they meet the
submission criteria. (This is because, in a short two-player
game, these nations would prefer to fight to the death
if they could.)

I take it it has to be interpreted such that the Belgae can, no, must submit every turn they can. So I guess you're right, but I'm not sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Ynys-Mon
United Kingdom
London
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oetan wrote:

I take it it has to be interpreted such that the Belgae can, no, must submit every turn they can. So I guess you're right, but I'm not sure.

As the main rule says the Belgae can *only* submit on the Roman Turn, and the 2 player scenario only says that all submittable nations must submit if the number criteria are met, I don't see why that should make the Belgae submittable in any other turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
A fan of new Knizia games
mbmbmbmbmb
oetan wrote:
Quote:
Turn 2 sees the Roman onslaught continue. Cumbria and Lothian fall, which sees the Brigantes submit, handing over six more points for the Pennines, Strathclyde adn Galloway.

Reading the session report, I thought you made a mistake, because of the following rule (p. 15)

Quote:
Belgae Submission to Roman
Rule
The Belgae may submit to the Romans only on the
Roman nation turn of Round 1, if the Belgae are reduced
to four or fewer areas. They “unsubmit” on their own
turn in Round 1 before their Population Increase Phase
(this represents Boudicca’s revolt). Their reinforcing
army is placed in whichever Belgae area the leader
Boudicca is placed, without regard to stacking limits.

However, then I read the 2 player-scenario rules (p. 19)

Quote:
EARLY INVADERS VS. INHABITANTS OF BRITAIN
Player 1: the Romans, the Caledonians, and the Scots.
Player 2: ever other nation.
This scenario lasts only to the end of Round 5.
Setup: As at the start of the four-player game.
Special rules: The Belgae, the Welsh, the Brigantes, and
the Picts must submit to the Romans if they meet the
submission criteria. (This is because, in a short two-player
game, these nations would prefer to fight to the death
if they could.)

Yes, but the piece you quoted from my report was the Brigants submitting, not the Belgae (who had already submitted on turn 1).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Van Voorn
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Darn, you're right. Nevertheless, the situation remains the same. I was confused about the fact the other peoples unsubmit, while this is not the case in the standard four-player game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Pulsipher
United States
Linden
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The Belgae cannot submit a second time.

While the defenders must submit when reaching the limits specified, the Belgae will likely wish to submit at four, since they are uniquely allowed to unsubmit. It appears the Belgae submitted at three in your game.

As Chx says, the two-player games aren't likely to be balanced, I found them going back and forth to extremes as I played them. In particular, in the first one I expect the Romans will usually come out ahead, as people figure out better ways to attack.

So play both sides in successive games and tally up the total points.

Lew Pulsipher

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Steudtner
Germany
Reichshof
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
dougadamsau wrote:

Scores:
Romans 123, Scots 8, Caledonians 14.
Total 145

Irish 8, Saxons 22, Belgae 14, Picts 6, Brigantes 9, Welsh 11, Jutes 14, Angles 8.
Total 96

I just finished gaming this solitaire and gained a similar result:

Romans, Scots, Caledonians:
Others:

Belgae performed very bad, getting only 6 points and later one in Turn 5.
Romans performed very good and nearly got those 80 points max in first three turns (74). Germanic raiders hit quite good (Jutes getting Kent). I realized to late to move the allied powers better according to their victory conditions (who scores more on what region?).

Nevertheless I think winning for the Anti-Roman-Alliance is very hard.
I'm looking forward to play this one again with my girl-friend because it is short and good for learning almost all game mechanics!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Pulsipher
United States
Linden
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I probably devised this before I got to optimal capability with the Romans. So I wouldn't be surprised if it breaks the Romans' way.

OTOH, so many people are bad with the Romans when they first play, their initial games may break against the Roman side.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon G
United States
Goleta
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I played this scenario "wrong" the first time and had the Cals allied with the natives. That made for a much tighter game, and the natives won by three points.

That said, it sounds like neither the Belgae T1 revolt nor the Brigs went for maximum Roman body count in your game. The Brigs (not having to watch their backs) should hit the Romans with a 6+ army stack on their first turn. Then, the Brigs and/or Picts can form a battle line at Lothian & Galloway and stop the Romans there in Turn 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.