Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Roger Hicks
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Join the "Back it for a Buck" Challenge!

The Back it for a Buck (B4B) Challenge is a community effort of board gamers. The goal of the B4B is to show support for the designers and publishers that are putting their time and effort into bringing you great new games via Kickstarter (and other crowdfunding platforms), and to help those designers and publishers connect with gamers. Those who accept the B4B Challenge agree to back 10 different Kickstarter projects of their choice in the month of September for $1 each.

The full details of the challenge can be viewed here:
http://todayinboardgames.com/b4b-challenge

Post here to accept the challenge. Once you start backing projects in September come back and edit your post to tell us what projects you backed!

Picks of the Day: (possible suggestions of projects to back)
Sept 3: They're Coming
Sept 4: Conquest of Orion
Sept 5: Battle Merchants
Sept 6: Sheepie Sleepy
Sept 9: Larceny
Sept 10: Spell Chess
Sept 11: Incredible Expeditions
Sept 12: 404: Law Not Found
Sept 13: Ad-Man!
Sept 16: Stack & Attack
Sept 17: Wrangled
Sept 23: Goblins vs Zombies
Sept 24: Movie Mashups
Sept 25: Drive-Thru Review
Sept 26: Warlords & Sellswords
Sept 27: Labyrinthos
Sept 30: Marital Bliss
Project owners: Want to have your project featured as a "Pick of the Day"? E-mail me at pidgepot@gmail.com

*** mirror of my wrap-up post at the end of the thread: ***
Hey Back-it-for-a-Buckers! So the challenge comes to a close tonight. Here's some information for you:

1) If you completed the challenge, congrats! You're awesome! If you haven't you still have a few hours left to finish up. If you participated in the challenge be sure to make sure you have all the projects you backed listed in a post on this thread by Friday.

2) James Mathe (Minion Games) has graciously donated some prizes to Challenge finishers, and I'm kicking in something as well. If any other project owners / publishers / designers / generous gamers / etc. wish to contribute prizes to the pool please let me know before Friday.

3) I plan to compile a list of finishers plus a list of all the projects we backed and the totals for each sometime this upcoming weekend. I'll post all that info here. Then I will randomly select winners for the prizes and post those as well (along with info on how to claim them).

4) The response to the challenge was great! We had a lot of project owners join in and quite a few community members participated. To everyone who joined in let me give you a collective thank you on behalf of the Kickstarter project owners. As a result I am going to host a new B4B Challenge for the month of October. I've already got a lot of interest from newcomers, and I'm hoping all of you join in again to keep the momentum going. I'll start a new BGG thread for the October challenge - watch for it in the Kickstarter forum.

5) If anyone has any microbadge design ability it would be cool to have a B4B microbadge for challenge finishers - this is outside my realm of expertise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Briggs
United States
Farmington
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Challenge accepted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
and my axe .

Edited to add my list of backed games so far:
1) The Cards of Cthulhu
2) Smash Monster Rampage
3) Goblins vs. Zombies
4) The Amityville Project: Phobos
5) Color Warz: Dark Threat
6) 404: Law Not Found
7) Planet Defiant
8) Apple Stars
9) Neverending Nightmares
10) The 8th Day
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Grimshaw
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Sorry, but on so many levels I am not sold.

Kickstarter projects and their kin aren't charities, and shouldn't be treated as such. If the projects "good", then it will get backed, with many kickstarters having appeal that smashes their goals.. If they're that catch all "good" again.

I also don't think the "Project of the day" is anything more than marketing, plain and simple. Even the way it's written wreaks of a pitch targeted at our community spirit.

Sorry, but nu-uh!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hicks
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your comments Tom - I appreciate your frankness.

Just to clarify - this isn't a marketing or PR move, nor is it a charity drive. The idea here is that many of us don't have enough funds in our gaming budget to back every good project that comes along - but by throwing in a token Buck to those projects we can't back in full we are lending our support to that designer/publisher and telling them thank you for enhancing the gaming community.

By all means - don't back a project if you don't think it is good! I'm not trying to encourage that, but there are way more than 10 decent Kickstarter projects posted each month so there's plenty of "good" ones to choose from.

The "Pick of the Day" is just a way for project owners to get a little extra attention through the challenge. It's open to every project owner (within reason, ie: must be a board game or game related project, no overly adult-themed projects, etc.) - so it is by no means a paid marketing effort.

Game designers, accessory designers, and publishers put a lot of their valuable time, money and effort into making quality products for us to enjoy - this is just a way to say "Thanks!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BobTHJ wrote:
Game designers, accessory designers, and publishers put a lot of their valuable time, money and effort into making quality products for us to enjoy - this is just a way to say "Thanks!"

And a way of supporting passionate people realize their dream. Having your labor of love turn into a physical product and have other people support your passion is an awesome feeling, and I can spare a few bucks to let others enjoy that feeling.

And a way to help support creativity in the industry.

And a way to help lower the barrier of entry into board game publishing.

And a way to help support the community feeling that gets build around Kickstarters.

To me Kickstarter is so much more than a preorder system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved from General Gaming to Kickstarter

Sounds like a fun initiative - though I'm not certain they users will need that much encouragement but it'll be fun to share.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Grimshaw
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
BobTHJ wrote:
Thanks for your comments Tom - I appreciate your frankness.

Just to clarify - this isn't a marketing or PR move, nor is it a charity drive. The idea here is that many of us don't have enough funds in our gaming budget to back every good project that comes along - but by throwing in a token Buck to those projects we can't back in full we are lending our support to that designer/publisher and telling them thank you for enhancing the gaming community.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong but, what do you generally get for that buck? A mention maybe? Nothing tangible though, right? So, you're effectively giving your buck as a good will gesture towards the project, with the hopes of getting nothing in return. That sure as hell sounds like charity to me!

Quote:
The "Pick of the Day" is just a way for project owners to get a little extra attention through the challenge. It's open to every project owner (within reason, ie: must be a board game or game related project, no overly adult-themed projects, etc.)

So how do you choose who gets the limelight? By your own admission "there are way more than 10 decent Kickstarter projects posted each month", all of whom could submit to you for that little attention. No matter how you look at it, there has to be some bias involved.

Quote:
so it is by no means a paid marketing effort.

An interesting choice of words.. I never said you were getting paid. Although I now certainly believe that you expect to get something out of this. Maybe free copies from grateful publishers for the PR, perhaps an honorable mention in their publications, possibly as PR for yourselves?

The truth is, I don't know. You may just be doing this out of the goodness of your heart but, well, I'm skeptical. Obviously, I mean you no offense if that is the case, but I am a firm believer of that "if you're not the customer, you're the product".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathe
United States
Greenfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
http://www.Game-Universe.com
badge
http://www.MinionGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Great idea and since it's not managed ON kickstarter, they can't stop you saying it's a contest against their rules.

Minion Games will be re-launching Battle Merchants within a week and we'd be glad to participate in anyway you need.

James
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Martin
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
Mwa ha ha ha ha
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok I'm in for the challenge. Looking forward to see what comes up in September.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Clark
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Challenge Accepted!

Bad timing on the part of NEARSPACE, but I look forward to similar challenges in the future.

B4B
Kitsune: of Foxes & Fools
HOOCH - The Card Game
Codinca
404: Law Not Found
Smash Monster Rampage

B4B plus some more!
Deep Space
Burning Suns
Cthulhu vs. The Vikings
The women of "The world of For-Ha" tabletop miniatures
Hopeless Happiness - The Board Game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Cornelius
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Count me in! I love the Kickstarter community and this is such a great idea to give back in a very small way but a way that will mean something to the project creators.

Trust me, as a project creator myself, I can tell you that something like this will be very well received.

Editing to start the list of my B4B entries.

1. Ninja Dice http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/greenbriergames/ninja-di...
2. Belle of the Ball http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/dicehateme/belle-of-the-...
3. Fantasy Frontier http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/coe/fantasy-frontier
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Myers
United States
Plymouth
Michigan (MI)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in - I'll back ten projects and see where it goes!
I'm in - I'm launching a game kickstarter Sep 9th
I'm in - I want to see if any cool stories come out of this
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hicks
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Tom - thanks for sharing your perspective.

To answer your questions:

* Any project owner that asks to be featured gets featured so long as their project falls within the scope of the Challenge. If there's more requests for features than days in the month I'll start doubling them up.

* I get no direct benefit from hosting this Challenge, other than the satisfaction of knowing I help rally the community around a good cause. As a side effect I suppose I do get a little publicity for hosting the B4B Challenge but that's not why I'm doing it (if my goal was marketing there are more effective ways). If I receive any goodies from publishers as a result of the Challenge I will be passing them along (via random drawing at month's end) to those who participate.

You mentioned that the challenge sounded too much like marketing - that wasn't my intent at all. I'm certainly open to suggestions if you have any recommendations on how to remedy that problem. Thanks again for your thoughts on the issue!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Razo
United States
Oceanside
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ondfly123 wrote:
Count me in! I love the Kickstarter community and this is such a great idea to give back in a very small way but a way that will mean something to the project creators.

Trust me, as a project creator myself, I can tell you that something like this will be very well received.

I recently launched and then eventually cancelled a project that I am truly passionate about. I really appreciated the backers that took the time to comment and give me feedback...

Somtimes I wish there were more people that would simply reach out and say "Hey, I like what you've done so far... It looks interesting".

This seems like a good way to show support for those like myself that might not get it right initially, but keep trying with the right amount of encouragement and support.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liz Spain
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like this idea. With so many established game companies using Kickstarter as a preorder platform, it can be hard to spot the indie guys trying to strike out on their own with something special.

Though my own project ends on Sept. 15th, I'm more than happy to show my support to 10 other projects working hard to make it on Kickstarter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Reed
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love Kickstarter so I'm in!

Just one question, if we pledge more than $1 does it still count for this challenge? For example, some projects may not have $1, but they do have a $5 pledge. Or maybe I like it enough to pledge for a full copy of the game (like Battle Merchants by Minion Games )?

(EDIT)
September Pledges:

Tessen: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1459655047/tessen-a-quic...

Neptune: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1243534184/neptune

Incredible Expeditions: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/773763411/incredible-exp...

Wrangled: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/harpygames/wrangled

Boom or Doom! Kickstarter Adventures in the Tabletop World: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gerdling/boom-or-doom-ki...

Fantasy Frontier: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/coe/fantasy-frontier

Belle of the Ball: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/dicehateme/belle-of-the-...

Havok & Hijinks: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ferrel/havok-and-hijinks...

Fleet: Arctic Bounty: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1478832610/fleet-arctic-...

Battle Merchants: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/miniongames/battle-merch...

Boy do I wish I had the money to back all of these for the full game, but I hope if enough people pledge $1, this will really help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Collier
United States
Plattsburgh
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 I'm in
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben S
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like it. I shall start on the first of Sept.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Cole
United States
Towson
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Escape Velocity Games! Yay!
mbmbmbmbmb
Count me in!

And if any of you are looking for a game to back, please consider my own project, Conquest of Orion:

http://kck.st/151xS2A

Steve.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hicks
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SilvaShado wrote:

Just one question, if we pledge more than $1 does it still count for this challenge? For example, some projects may not have $1, but they do have a $5 pledge. Or maybe I like it enough to pledge for a full copy of the game (like Battle Merchants by Minion Games )?

Yes - any 10 pledges of $1 or more count. Since the intent is to show support for the projects you're certainly not going to be penalized for backing more than $1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Sage
msg tools
Great idea! All it takes is a small amount from lots of people and we're there! Able to help lots of projects as part of a CO-ORDINATED effort, instead of just one. I'm in.

And, as I see a couple of other people have done here, I'd like to make a small plug for our own Kickstarter campaign: a fun, family dice game from Seahorse games called Sheepie Sleepy: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1657220662/sheepie-sleep...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Reed
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BobTHJ wrote:
SilvaShado wrote:

Yes - any 10 pledges of $1 or more count. Since the intent is to show support for the projects you're certainly not going to be penalized for backing more than $1.

I was hoping so, but just wanted to make sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Burnham
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in. This is a great way to encourage people to search broader for interesting games on Kickstarter.

My first game, Stack & Attack, will also be up on Kickstarter in September.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.