Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Geoffrey Engelstein
United States
Bridgewater
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
Pit Crew avaialble now! The Expanse coming in October!
badge
Ludology Host and Dice Tower Contributor
mbmbmbmbmb
Got introduced to a friend of a friend a few months back at a social gathering, and we got to talking about eurogames, which he had never heard of... He lives a few thousand miles away, so we can't get together, but he asked for some recommendations for his family - he has two young daughters.

Just got this email from him:

-------------------
Just wanted to drop you a quick note of thanks. We
started gaming today. That was several hours ago, and we
are still at it (just interrupted by a friend dropping
by). My daughter actually said "Dad, why don't we sell
the TV so we can buy more games!" Now, did you email her
and tell her to say that?

The new favorites are Villa Paletti and Blokus. Anyway,
thanks for the suggestions (and for the gentle e-prod to
game this weekend).
-------------------

Geoff

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
If Actions Speak Louder Than Words, Then Actions x2 Speak Louder Than Actions
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
One of the Original Twelve
mbmbmbmbmb
That is so cool.

We went on a one month "TV fast" a couple of years ago and my wife read "The Lord of the Rings", The Ender's Saga and much more. We also gamed like crazy during that month. Ah, those were the good ol' days...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Jensen
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
badge
I was going to buy OverText but I didn't know what to say with it!
mbmbmbmbmb
We cancelled our TV service a few years ago and, other than missing football season, my hubby and I don't miss it at all. We play more games, read more books, and have more time to design/develop games than I would have thought. Seems that nasty box was eating up more time than I had thought it was!! So now, we just drop in on family during football season - there's alway an open seat on the couch and free food at Mom's house...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Korchnoi
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
My Little Man's first real wargame play: Barbarossa Solitaire
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm with you guys on this one. For the majority of the year (9 months) I only have local channels, but I do splurge for the college football season devil
I have tried to live by this maxim regarding my TV: I do not turn it on unless there is something specific I want to watch. And I do not channel surf during commericals or surf after the program I am watching is over. I challenged my students to try that a few years ago and some did and they were amazed at how little TV they watched and how much time they had for other things.
As for my other things...well, I do own 275 games and 3,000 books, so I would say I have two excellent hobbies to replace the cyclops in my living room cool
Tim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Stone
United States
Sedro-Woolley
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
To all my geekfriends, I know I haven't been around much lately, but BGG is still my homepage and everyone is still in my heart everyday. Just so damn busy!
mbmbmbmbmb
Great e-mail! We went for several years without cable television, just used the VCR (before we got the dvd). A couple of years ago we jumped on the TV wagon again. Fortunately, our family doesn't overdose on TV, so I don't see getting rid of it any time soon. Some of my 11 yo son's favorite shows are on the History Channel, Travel Channel, Food Network, and Animal Planet, so I can't argue there. Me, I can't live without my SciFi channel.

I think a good balance can be reached when it comes to tv watching and gaming, it just takes a little discipline. But hey, if his daughter now enjoys games enough to suggest selling the TV, then he is a very lucky man!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.