Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mr G
United Kingdom
Hatfield Heath
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

The new and rather cool PACG looks to have many similar elements to DC:U. Has anyone tried both and would like to share any comments?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Carter
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm curious about this as well!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jey Legarie
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This top 10 list of solo games doesn't offer a direct comparison, but does rank both games pretty closely together. Perhaps the author could be contacted to make a comparison.

http://www.play-board-games.com/top-ten-solo-play-board-game...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Leoniak
United States
Marlboro
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can thank that article for putting this game on my radar, and I ordered a copy of DC shortly after reading the review and doing a bit more research.

I have pathfinder which I thoroughly enjoy, so to see this rated higher was very surprising, although the author said his PACG rating was more due to having to buy expansions to level the characters.

When I get DC I'll write a short comparison. But my take right now is that they seem pretty different. I'm liking the portability of the DC game, so it might be perfect for trips and such.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Major Havok
United States
Niles
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I look forward to reading your review/comparison. I had read a few DC reviews that basically summed up as "stay away", but I'm still curious.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jey Legarie
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
yeh, we got slammed pretty hard early on. First foray in to the gaming industry and all that...

There are reviews we've collected over the years if those help to explain game play http://www.dungeoncrawler.com/extras/index.html

Yes, these ones are generally positive, but I mean to provide the link as more of a "this is what people thought of the game play" rather than "look how awesome our game is".

Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Major Havok
United States
Niles
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I love all of the online support on the web site! Is it possible to purchase an up-to-date printed rules book somehow?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jey Legarie
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
We only have the free pdfs online, haven't been able to go to print with an update.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Leoniak
United States
Marlboro
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alright, so i have played six games of DC, and here is a brief comparison between DC and PACG.

They are very different in terms of game play, meaning that the mechanics of the game make them difficult to compare. A comparison of DC to LOTR LCG is a better fit since there are more similarities in the game mechanic, and i'll post some thoughts on that in another thread that's already been started on the topic.

So there are going to be a lot of differences between DC and PACG. The one thing they do share obviously is the fantasy theme, but in this regards PACG has got way more theme since it is built on the whole Pathfinder universe and is a connected story over the 30 scenarios it will have when completed.

There is theme in DC, and with the help of your imagination you can create a story as your going about the quest, but once the game is over that's it. PACG is a continuing story that your character will develop in. There is no character development in DC between games, and really none during game play. In DC adventurers provide resources to play cards of a particular resource icon that they are most skilled in. If the adventure plays a equipment card it can target any adventurer (1 of 4). Other than the resource icons adventures are pretty much all the same, meaning that if they activate they provide 1 attack or 1 defense per round. So, as a player you never really get the sense that you are the Gold Dwarf fighter, like you do in PACG. In DC you do get the sense that you are the party of adventures collectively and each Adventurer is important in providing resources to help out on the quest, but it really does not matter if you select the Fighter or Gypsy when you use a magic long sword. Of course as a player you can select which adventurer you want to use for thematic reasons, but in terms of game mechanics it does not matter.
For me this is neither bad or good, it just reinforces that the mechanics between the two games are very different.

How the scenarios work is very different too. I can't really go into too much detail on how PACG scenarios are structured with different locations, closing locations, and cornering the Villain etc. This is all much more complex then DC in terms of completing scenario objectives. In DC you flip over cards from the dungeon deck each round until you meet the encounter limit of 5 in play. This is the total cost of all the dungeon cards that can be in play. Then you have to make the most of the situation with the cards in hand. You have to determine if you can defeat the dungeons defenses to deliver 1 wound to a dungeon card, as well as how you will defend against the dungeons retaliation to prevent taking a wound on an adventurer. You keep doing this until you complete quest objectives, which are often related to what cards you encounter in the dungeon deck.

The encounter sequence is the real meat of the DC experience, and one that I find enjoyable. Many encounters will emerge where I feel like I have no chance at succeeding, but then the cards in my hand help me navigate through the encounter (most of the time). There is a lot going on during the encounter, different cards with a variety of attributes which boost other characters (enemies) or inhibit adventurers. These encounters are where most of the complexity arises, and it is mostly related to understanding the attributes of the cards, so for the first few games you will be looking up what different attributes do, and there are a lot. Although, at least for me, they all make sense after a few games and I did not have to look them up as much.

So, i would describe the whole encounter sequence as a type of puzzle solving game. With a lot of strategic decisions to be made. I would say there might be more strategy involved in DC then PACG, and I think DC is more difficult and the chance of losing is much greater. There are also no dice in DC, so that is very different then PACG.

As a solitaire game I think DC has a lot going on for it, but anyone planning on picking it up, will have to invest a bit of time to learn to play. My best advice is to check the DC website and read over all the rules for solitaire play and the walkthrough starters guide. If you get the game, you should set up the walkthrough with the pre constructed decks they suggest and play though while reading the guide. This will save you a big headache of trying to work with the rulebook. It got me playing the game comfortably real fast.

One last comparison with the two in terms of replay value. PACG replay value mostly relies on running different characters through the scenarios to level them up, but in my opinion the scenarios do not really stand alone well on their own, meaning that it is unlikely that i would just play one scenario for the heck of it. With DC replay value seems like it should be pretty good, especially for a casual game every now and then. DC does not ask for a long commitment to playing through a big campaign like PACG, but it does offer a fun 1hr long dungeon romp. So for me they both have their purpose in my game collection, since I also like the character development that PACG offers.

DC seems like it will be perfect to bring along on business/family trips since the whole starter game (sleeved) fits nicely in one of those FFG hard case deck holders with the token box attached to the bottom. Perfect fit!

Overall, I really like it and I am enjoying playing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
Gloom of Kilforth reprint Kickstarter Sept 29-Oct 31
badge
Gloom of Kilforth reprint Kickstarter Sept 29-Oct 31
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the breakdown George, you should post this as a review.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.