Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
HMS Iron Duke
United States
Bartlett
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have finally found a group of wargamers interested in the old hex & counter AH/SPI titles so I broke out SPI's Musket & Pike last night and played White Mountain (November 8, 1620) against John.

Imperialists: Mike
Moravian Seperatists: John

John set his army up around the small mountain named, oddly enough, White Mountain. He double stacked his Professional Pike/ Militia Pike Units on the mountain with a long line of Muskets on the plain to the east. It was the typical rag-tag bunch of rebels you would expect. My Imperialists, pike points gleaming and uniforms brilliant in the sun arrayed in battle a small distance to the east. I intersperced double pike blocks with double sleeves of Professional Musket. My Heavy Cavalry was masked behind the town to protect them from the initial Moravian volley.

The first Moravian Volley disrupted two of my pike units and sent them fleeing to the rear. Cowards. John then moved units of his pike in front of his vulnerable musket units. On my first turn my muskets focused on two of his pike units and smashed them into the hearafter. I then sent the cavalry around the town to exploit the holes in the pike line and get at the soft musket units underneath. They too were put to the sword. When it came time for the push of pike the Moravians seemed more interested in fleeing up their accursed mountain then in fighting. And so it went for most of the game. I would attack, he would retreat up the mountain. My stalwarts started to complain greatly. Up the hill. Always up. Why wouldn't the Moravian's just hold for a moment and fight! Fifth turned past, so much for a decisive victory. We're soldiers, not bloody messenger runners.

John made the most of the hill. Each slope was defended by two stiff professional pike units. It took overwhelming shock to dislodge them. It also took a number of precious minutes to manuever my shot units into position to blast them off the hill. That eventually started the rout. The Moravians ended up routing off the west side of the hill to be met by the remains of the Imperial Cavalry. The scenario is a famous last stand and the Moravians would have been proud of Johns performance. I eaked out a marginal victory on turn 9 of 10 by putting the last pike unit under the knife. A good learning game. Musket & Pike is 32 years old but it will see the table again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fitzgerald
United States
LA
California
flag msg tools
designer
Okay...I jealous. I bought the game when it origionally came out and it ended up with a friend whom I never saw again.

I keep trying to buy this game on ebay but when it gets to 50.00 I have to drop out...so I'll live vocariously through your write ups.

David

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That was a great trip back in the wayback machine, Mr. Peabody!

I remember fighting my way up that mountain 30 years ago. Musket & Pike was a lot of fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.