Bob McMurray
United States
La Grange
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok I'm really confused...

Here's how I intepret pages 14-15 of the (English) rules which cover Action Phase:

Hunter action:
1) Announce current location ("Search")
2) Either:
a) deal with an encounter(s)
or
b) resupply

NOWHERE in there is it possible for a hunter to attack Dracula if the hunter is now in the same location with Dracula. The only written exception to this that I can find is on page 18, "Battling to Reach Dracula", where it explicitly states that the hunter "then begins a battle against Dracula" if he had an encounter with an agent in the same turn which didn't end in the hunter fleeing or being defeated. Meaning that through 2a) above he garnered access to Dracula for combat purposes.

Dracula action:

1a) Attack if there are hunters in his location
1b) Place an encounter if there are not
2) Mature an encounter
3) Refill encounter hand

Dracula's actions, in direct contrast to the hunters, explicitly include attack as an option.

It seems to me that a hunter CANNOT move into Dracula's location and attack him unless there happens to be a fight minion/agent encounter there also.

Is it true that Dracula alone controls whether there is combat or not between himself and the hunters? There is thread, elsewhere in this forum, about group behavior in combat where the answers imply that the hunters can attack Dracula so I am confused. Please advise as to whether I am interpreting these rules correctly or not. Thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Saumer
United States
White Bear Township
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was confused by this as well because it is not specifically listed in the Hunter's turn order but check out the game overview on page 2 of the rulebook for some clarification:

Quote:
The Hunters then take their turns in a set order. On a Hunter’s turn, he may first move to a new location. If that location contains an encounter, the Hunter must face it and deal with its effects. If Dracula is in the location, the Hunter must battle the Count. If the location is empty, however, the Hunter may rest or resupply to recover Health or to gain valuable Item or Event cards. Play then passes to the next Hunter.

So I think that if a Hunter moves into Dracula's current location, Dracula is fought immediately after resolving the encounter tile as long as the Hunter survives the encounter tile without escaping AND the Encounter tile itself does not prohibit combat with Dracula ("Bats" and "Fog" for instance.)

Fighting Dracula seems to be treated as an additional Encounter for what it's worth, and as such would be resolved in step 2A of the Hunter's turn from what I can tell.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob McMurray
United States
La Grange
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Torbin_Bequette wrote:
Fighting Dracula seems to be treated as an additional Encounter for what it's worth, and as such would be resolved in step 2A of the Hunter's turn

I think your rule-of-thumb is a good one. Thanks for the clarification!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Torbin_Bequette wrote:
I think that if a Hunter moves into Dracula's current location, Dracula is fought immediately after resolving the encounter tile as long as the Hunter survives the encounter tile without escaping AND the Encounter tile itself does not prohibit combat with Dracula ("Bats" and "Fog" for instance.)

Right!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Moore
United States
Oxford
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Gotcha!
mbmbmbmbmb
This one threw me for a loop as well. After being over 2 hours into the game and nearing the end, I went to check the rules for how a hunter deals with a site that has both an encounter and Drac. After reading the hunter's action phase rules I was completely taken aback as nowhere does it say what to do if Drac is at the Hunter's site. Could we have been playing it wrong the whole game? (We were assuming the hunters were forced to fight drac if they ended on his space.) We kept playing that the hunter could fight drac, since we both thought we had read that somewhere, but I still felt uneasy.

And now I see I'm not the only one who was fooled by the rules!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan McKinney
United States
El Segundo
California
flag msg tools
badge
I couldn't figure this one out either. Fortunately, I haven't played the game yet!

Hey, we've got a devil smiley and a zombie smiley (or two); where's the vampire smiley???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Johnson
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
I never had this problem. For one I've never really noticed this apparent ommition in the rules, but also: come on this is a no brainer! If the hunters couldn't attack Dracula the game simply wouldn't work!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Lampus
United States
Blue Bell
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Page 18, 3rd column, 1st paragraph, 3rd sentence: "If there are no further encounters there and Dracula is at the same location, the Hunter begins a battle with Dracula (see "Battling to Reach Dracula," below)."

Hope that helps clear things up a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith M. Sandler
United States
Framingham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
elbmc1969 wrote:
I couldn't figure this one out either. Fortunately, I haven't played the game yet!

Hey, we've got a devil smiley and a zombie smiley (or two); where's the vampire smiley???

}:-l=
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.