Leiria
Leiria
flag msg tools
designer
WYG Developer
badge
mb
Hi you all
We played RA this weekend and a question about disaters came up.
Imagine that you have no pharaos on your display area. When you win a auction and in the auction track is, for example, two pharaos and one funeral do we have to eliminate those auction track pharaos or the funeral just report to your display area? Being so you don't have to eliminate anything.
We had that doubt and we made a house rule on that - The tiles from the auction track were not eliminated. Were we wrong?

Another question
"if a player loses more points of fame than he has, he loses all he has and takes 0 points into the next epoch; negative totals are not tracked."
So, does this means that the two 5 tablets at the begining are for nothing? I mean. If we score -5, for example, do we have (or not) to lose one of those number 5 tablets?
Thank you all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade Ramsey
United States
Boise
ID
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome, Paulo!

I believe the rules DO specify that if you win an auction with a disaster of some point, and the tiles to "fulfill" that disaster are also won in that disaster, they are lost. So you SHOULD have slain the two pharoahs in the action.

I think the tablets at the start of the game ARE to give you the capacity to loose points in subsequent turns. You start with 10 points, and if you loose 7 the first round, you are reduced to 3 points in tiles. The game designers did not want to track negative points, so instead every player is "spotted" 10 points at the start.

Hope that helps, and happy gaming!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Doum
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The way that I have always played, and I don't have the rules handy at the moment, is that all of the tile won in an auction are taken into the players hand, then the disaster tiles have there effect.

So in your example, the 2 pharaos and the funeral are taken into your hand, then you discard.

The ten points that you get at the beginning can be lost. That is what they are for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
Wade and Allen have it right. The rules are very clear that first you take the "good" tiles into your hand, then you throw away what the disaster tiles destroy. So if you have no pharoahs, and you win 2 pharoahs and a funeral, you will take the two pharoahs, then you have to throw them away immediately.

Also, when the rules say that you don't track negative points, they mean in your score for the game, not for the round. You can "earn" negative points in a round, which means you throw away points from your game score, but once your score for the game is at 0 (and I've seen that happen!), you don't go any lower.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Soledade
Portugal
Leiria
Leiria
flag msg tools
designer
WYG Developer
badge
mb
Thank you all.
I guess I like our house rules the most but next time we'll play it by the book. Thanks again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.