Subject: Garthan Carrier Problems rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kris J
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
. . . or just let me nibble your soul . . . .
badge
Electra Bellum. Electra Gloriosum.
mbmbmbmbmb
Any Diceland Space conniseurereiure conniseurereiure conniseour connisuer afficianados out there to shed some light on a precived problem with the game?

It's the Garthan team... they seem like a point farm for other players, actually. Specifically, our Garthan player has all kinds of problems A) keeping her Carrier alive and B) that carrier, having weak armor, dies constantly leaving 12 points to the destroyer.

Now, the die can be very powerful, but it is very weak and is worth a lot more than very hardy and useful dice on other teams.

I was considering lowering its point value or upping its armor (or both! I'M CRAZY!), but was wondering if, perhaps, the Garthan player was just a complete nincompoop. Any thoughts on any of this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris J
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
. . . or just let me nibble your soul . . . .
badge
Electra Bellum. Electra Gloriosum.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hay! Anybody out there?!?! It's been a couple months since I posted this. . . . anyone out there at all play this game? . . . and know enough to elucidate me???

*Sigh.*

yuk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eli Smith
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While I am an enthusiastic and frequent player of diceland, the space expansion rarely hits our table, my fridns and I have long percieved balance problems wiht this set, Dragons being our current favorite.

I know that's not much help, but I thought I'd pipe in to say, someone else does play this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Taylor-Smith
Canada
Okotoks
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I'll take up the task, although any suggested tactics comes with a disclaimer that Diceland has a lot of LUCK. So onto the ramble...

I assume it's the Supercarrier under discussion. I also assume it's a one race Garthan fleet under discussion (not the bizarre all Diceland sets combined game 'go dragons burning spaceships' gulp ). For example, Terran/Garthan combined fleets can really clean up with the Supercarrier plus Terran Scouts.

Generally if the cheap Garthan fighters can deal with an enemy then there is no reason to bring out the big guns. Throw a fighter, hit, get destroyed on enemy turn, repeat until enemy die destroyed. If less Garthan fighter points are destroyed than enemy then the Garthans are ahead in the game. Since the Garthans have a 1 point fighter pretty much any 8 pointer+ enemy is toast. But, and there is always a 'but' in Diceland, there are some problems with this strategy; ie. other Garthans, big jumping ships, ships with special effect Shield, Cloakers, move(repairing) big ships. For 'special' problems either a big gun ship or multiple firing fighters (under command) are needed. It's not a good strategy to build a all fighter fleet without some 'special' options, after all how many 1 point fighters are needed or could even get together on table otherwise.

The biggest danger to the Garthans is one All-Range attack that will clear the board of fighters otherwise the Supercarrier game goes something like this: throw supercarrier, activate call x fighters, throw in 2 or 3 fighters firing or maneuvering each in turn (thats 2 or 3 shots), enemy turn (one shot, hopefully killing only one fighter), supercarrier calls in more fighters (another 2 or 3 shots) and so on. So lots of shots per turn and don't forget all those fighters 'flying' on to the table knocking the big enemy sides down or the carrier side up.

There might be a balance problem (but I don't see it) in Diceland:Space but my experience is the Garthans are not the 'weak' force and in fact are one of the strongest.

Review of Diceland basic: Any Commander die generally follows the timing of being thrown on table when there are already multiple allied/friendly dice, at least two, to 'command'. Getting a swarm of fighters on table can be a bit of a problem due to the throw die, take die nature of Diceland. Terrans do this with Scout Fighters. The Garthans are different in that they have no scout fighters (with 'call fighter' option) so carriers provide that function.

The Supercarrier can call (2 or 3) fighters on all sides, plus the 'Command all' function on 4 sides, and has hefty blocks, making it a possible starting die or Scout. The Garthan light carrier calls multiple fighters on only 4 sides, has weak blocks, and only 'command all fighters' so is more a pure (fighter) commander die. In other words the light carrier has more difficulty getting out a big fighter swarm and can't command the Corvette and Frigate.

If survival is a problem try rolling onto side 7 or 8 with block 10 or 12 (ie. luck, or not luck if it's a starting die). Pretty hefty shields, putting it beyond quick fighter kill and sometime beyond all enemy quick kill. Failing that another common strategy is to cover (closely)(throw skill?) the supercarrier with fighters to absorb the short range fire of the enemy. Remember both Garthan carriers have the ability to heal on side one, ie. move/flip to a stronger side, if being chipped to death.

There is a whole other discussion regarding the use of Diceland:Space in Meta-game Campaigns or special scenarios. My group has run a campaign using a map to move around 'Fleets' on warp lines and fighting the resulting battles using Diceland:Space. To move fighters the 'fleet' has to have a carrier. I won't get into the details of ship limits/building/repair but it's possible to force a carrier on table in some battles, generally due to attrition.

My group sometimes uses targets (ie. planets) on table to reward special end of turn points to the player who gets and maintains command ships on the target in special scenarios.

On a side note we also use the house rule that if an opponent refuses or fails to throw (ie. it flys off table) a die when the enemy has an entire force on table it's a victory for the enemy. This prevents the 'throw hard to knock the monster down' effect from getting out of hand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.