J. David Koch
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Hey...That Tickles....
mbmbmbmbmb
Just got Goa and am very excited to try it out.
In my family, I'm the one that always gets assigned the reading of rules and explaining to everyone else how the game is played. I'm not a new gamer and have read and explained fairly complicated games including Power Grid and Puerto Rico. Frankly, I'm stuck on this one and all because I do not understand how the development board "works"
Hope you can help. Questions center around how you "progress" (move down the board.

I do understand that you have 6 different actions that you can choose from in your "action phase" the first one described is
"Progress on the Development Board."
Now, not counting the scoring track for each column (top to bottom 0,1,3,6,10) you have 5 rows across the top and 6 columns in each row.

Are these rows and columns distint or do you read them multiple ways?

Here is what I mean: Is the first column only for spice procurement or getting ships?

What would be the "title" or each column?
Would column one be: Build Ships
Two be: Harvest
Three be: Taxes
Four be: Expeditions
Five be: Found colony

If so: Does progress mean in ANY column and you pay what to progress in each column? The spices shown?
Is that the only way to progress in each column is by paying the spices and I would assume the cards under each spice? So... One ship for each spice shown?

If you harvest, do you get that harvest at the level you are at EVERY turn? Or only the turn you move onto that new space? Or by taking thats spaces power, cost you that one action out of three you are allowed each turn?

Just confused here. I know if I can get this straight in my mind, I could bust on through to getting the rest of the game.
I'm sure I'm just missing something really basic here.

Thanks,

McGuit

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Hedden
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Are these rows and columns distint or do you read them multiple ways?

Here is what I mean: Is the first column only for spice procurement or getting ships?

If so: Does progress mean in ANY column and you pay what to progress in each column? The spices shown?
Is that the only way to progress in each column is by paying the spices and I would assume the cards under each spice? So... One ship for each spice shown?

If you harvest, do you get that harvest at the level you are at EVERY turn? Or only the turn you move onto that new space? Or by taking thats spaces power, cost you that one action out of three you are allowed each turn?

The questions you're asking show that you're really close to getting it.

Each *column* is a separate development track, and you progress down each column separately. If you choose the "Progress on development board" action, you pay the cost (usually ships and spices) shown to move to the next level down in any *one* column. Then, you're done with that action - you don't get to use its benefit.

If, on a later action, you choose to use a development benefit (e.g., you harvest), you get the full amount shown beside your marker on the relevant development track. You get that amount *every* time you choose that action.

I hope this helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. David Koch
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Hey...That Tickles....
mbmbmbmbmb
That really does help a lot.
Much clearer.
Thank you very much.
Think I'll get back on "track" now.
*Ouch* Terrible pun.

McGuit

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dick Hunt
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
McGuit wrote:

My group likes to call the third column "taxing the peasants." When we're heartless spice lords, by golly, we're heartless spice lords!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.