Popular Tags: [View All]
art cohen
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Two questions on the rules to Seafarers:

1) Can you move a ship if it is the only ship in a shipping lane? For example, let's say you have a settlement, and a ship that heads off in the "12:00" position (straight up). Can you move it (assuming the terrain allows this) to the "4:00" or "8:00" position?

To me, the rules are somewhat ambiguous on this question. Rules say:

Quote:
3. You may only move a ship that is at the end of the shipping route that is not connected to the "homeport"
In this case, the ship is both at the "open" end and the "connected" end, so it is, technically, "at the end that is not connected", although it is also at the end which is connected.

Quote:
6. After you move your ship, it must still be connected to the same homeport.
This will obviously still be the case if you move it from 12:00 to 4:00.

Quote:
You may move the ship to any point along that route
This is ambiguous, as it could be interpreted as creating a new route, rather than moving it to a new point on the same route.

How do you all handle this situation?

2) For the 5-6 player variant, the phases of one turn are described as:
Quote:
* You must roll the dice for resource production.
* You may trade resources with other players
* You may use your resources to build...
* ...Special building Phase

However, for the 5-6 player version of regular "Settlers", the trading and building phase is combined into a single phase, where you can build, trade, build again, trade again, etc.

Is this a mistake? Or do you think the designers intended for the two variants to be played differently? It seems curious that out of four versions of the game (Settlers 3-4 players / Settlers 5-6 players / Seafarers 3-4 players / Seafarers 5-6 players), there's one where you can build and trade interchangeably, whereas the other three require you to finish trading before building.

How do you all handle it?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
#1 - I'd say yes. The city is part of your shipping line. So you can move the one ship to come out of a different axis from the same city.

#2 - I ignored that part of the 5-6 player rules. When we play 5-6 players (seafarers or no), we do: income, trading, build+buy, "extra" build+buy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Like you, I once questioned the ability to move the ship next to a settlement/city. After several long discussions on these forums and my own personal analysis, I am confident that it is intended to allow players to move ships that are the only ship in the shipping route.

The rule says "the end of the shipping route that is not connected to a home port". If you read it carefully, you will realize that the rule "that is not connected to the homeport" is not referring to the ship, but the end of the route. In other words, there are techincally two "ends" of the shipping route: the open end and the end next to the homeport. This grammatically ambiguous sentence is just trying to clarify that you move the ship from the open end, not the closed end.

Think of the sentence this way:
(You may only move a ship that is at)(the end of the shipping route that is not connected to the "homeport").

As for the build/trade order, the latest Mayfair rules in the new full-color combined rulebook recommends that you allow building and trading in any order. It even specifically mentions allowing the use of harbors during the turn you build a settlement on them. It still states in the core rules that you always trade, then build, however this is given as a "beginner's rule".

I believe the strict trade-then-build rule was originally made to prevent the use of harbors on the turn you gained access to them, as this is the only difference from allowing free trading/building. I have always played (and I believe the 5/6 player rules and Cities and Knights rules state the same) that players can freely trade and build in any order, but cannot use new harbors until the next turn. I'm not sure what caused Mayfair to backpedal on this rule in the current edition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.