Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
We've got a rule in the family: when my wife gets to blow thousands of dollars at Ikea, I get a trip to the local game store. On the last trip I noticed Barbarossa just before checkout (the new Mayfair release) and snatched it up.

I was a bit dissapointed to see they'd truncated it from 6 players - 5 and 6 seem to be almost a better number after reading the rules - but I was more chagrined to see that you're supposed to take this teeny bit of clay and make 2 or 3 models.

Are they serious? What I thought was a game involving some crafty sculpting now seems an exercise in a desparate degree of clay conservation. Could people perhaps discuss their experiences with Barbarossa to allay my immediate impressions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Mecoides
Australia
St Kilda
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yo Funky Monkey

I have the new version of Barbarossa and my group find it quite fun. I think if you played with 5 or 6, the game would go over that hour mark and it would lose its fun, party game appeal.

As for the amount of clay, never fear, it is hard to fit all of those little models on the diamond as it is. I usually find that I have excess clay. Remember that the models are supposed to be slightly cryptic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Brooks
United States
Framingham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
“When life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons, what the hell am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day..."
badge
Gnome dance is best dance.
mbmbmbmbmb
apotheos wrote:
We've got a rule in the family: when my wife gets to blow thousands of dollars at Ikea, I get a trip to the local game store. On the last trip I noticed Barbarossa just before checkout (the new Mayfair release) and snatched it up.

I was a bit dissapointed to see they'd truncated it from 6 players - 5 and 6 seem to be almost a better number after reading the rules - but I was more chagrined to see that you're supposed to take this teeny bit of clay and make 2 or 3 models.

Are they serious? What I thought was a game involving some crafty sculpting now seems an exercise in a desparate degree of clay conservation. Could people perhaps discuss their experiences with Barbarossa to allay my immediate impressions?

My solution to this is the way I replaced the clay when mine got dried up. Either go to a local toystore and buy a variety pack of the tiny playdoh (Party favor size works well) or go to a local craft store and pay a little more for the good stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.