Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Blais
Canada
Burnaby
B.C
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
A 6 player game with 3 newbies, myself, Waleah and Kevin, Bonnie, Dan and Toby had all played before.
After Dan went through the rules we got started. I had no clue about what the hell to do and overspent to bid for the first turn. It didn't click in to take some of the handy cards that were up, I seem to remember that they didn't start to get taken until Turn 2. My goal card to to link from New York to Chicago and I figured that since I had no other frame of reference on what to do that would be my game plan.

1st round I built a chicago/milwaukee link,
2nd round I took the last spot out of New York and went to Albany.
by the end of turn 1 I had 4 shares.

I'll mention here that when asked Dan said most people end up with 7-9 shares, he's seen up to 15 but they didn't win. He also said that he's never seen a western link built before.

Fast Forward a few turns later and I have 10 shares and in dead last, isssuing more shares to pay the stockholders. A card was turned that allowed 10 points to the first person to link chicago and New York. YES, I'm already working on that, I complete the link and grab 10 points. Another card comes up to be the first to deliver to T.O, I complete that. Meanwhile Waleah has issued 10 shares and has managed to creep into 2 behind Dan who is starting to run away with the game. A point to mention Waleah basically stayed in Minnesota for the game and still managed to finish third ( I think).

I had caught up to Dan by virtue of the 14 points from card bounties and some short deliveries.

A turn ends and a major route card comes up. Build from New York to Kansas with a western link for 20 points. SCORE I'm going for it, but there isn't much time left, only 4 cities to be emptied.
Round 1, build from KC to St Louis
Round 2, delivery
Round 3, delivery

New turn only 2 cities left;
Round 1, Chicago to Rock City
Round 2, Issue a share (now 11)Rock Island- St Louis.
Round 3, Last city is placed and I have one action. Issue 6 shares and
build a western link and get 20 points!

Waleah goes and the game is over, time for scoring. No one else made their goal but me, 6 points for me for New York Chicago.
Dan loses 4 spots for 4 shares and ends up with 40 points, I lose 17 points due to shares and we are both at 40 points.
Tie-breaker, Dan has 9 links, I have 11. I win!

Winner: Me!
2ndan
3rd: Waleah (or Kevin, we can't remember but Waleah was in 3rd most the end game)
4th: Kevin (or Waleah, see above)
5th: Bonnie
6th Toby but with only 2 shares issued.

For a first time game it was a lot of fun, I don't think I would make this a must play strategy but the cards were in my favour. I think that if it went another turn Dan would have run away with it since he had a level 6 choo choo and was going to start making some large deliveries. As much as I would like to say it was superior skill and strategy I will give most the credit to timing and cards allowing me to sneak out a win.
I ended with 40 points and received 40 points from the bounties and routes. 10 points New York Chicago, 20 Points NYC to the west via KC, 4 points for a bounty to Toronto and 6 for my game goal.

Moral of the story.
Dumb luck will still beat a sound strategy once in a blue moon.

Cheers.
Mike

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fair
United States
Damascus
MD
flag msg tools
designer
Or maybe PowerGrid?
badge
Yeah, that's me. Handsome devil, I know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like a great game, and you had a good time.

Sounds like you also missed one rule: Once the final city is emptied, you complete that turn (a turn is 3 actions for each player), THEN you pay out money, flip a card and play out one more complete turn (including paying out the money) and tally the final scores.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Blais
Canada
Burnaby
B.C
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I guess someone missed the extra turn rule.
Thanks!
Mike

BeyondMonopoly wrote:
Sounds like a great game, and you had a good time.

Sounds like you also missed one rule: Once the final city is emptied, you complete that turn (a turn is 3 actions for each player), THEN you pay out money, flip a card and play out one more complete turn (including paying out the money) and tally the final scores.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.