Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Ricotta
Japan
Okinawa
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking for a game that plays like Fire Emblem or FF Tactics. individuals with different skills, fighting a battle on a tight board..I'm not interested in minis. Dual of ages comes close, but isn't quite there...

any thoughts??

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
Canada
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have a great answer for you (though I'd be interested in such a game), but I'll reference these two threads:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/495126#495126

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geekforum.php3?action=viewthrea...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I've got an 808 and a 303 and a record collection like the ABC
mbmbmbmbmb
Try a Columbia block game. Victory, or the forthcoming Send in the Marines might be suitable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goo
United States
Yorba Linda
California
flag msg tools
badge
I have become my own island state. A ravaged, war-torn land where nothing grows and the horizons are bleak.
mb
Let us know if you find anything. I absolutely loved FF Tactics. It could be interesting in boardgame form, but the building of characters takes time and it is probably easier to find something similar in an RPG.

Not to change the focus of your post too much, but...

What other video games are like FF Tactics? I've heard talk of Disgaea (sp?) and I know Disgea II is coming out soon. Also, MASTIFF La Pucelle: Tactics is supposed to be very good.

Somewhat along those lines is a Playstation game called Culdcept that is a FF Tactics-esque "boardgame." I don't think it actually exists as a face to face boardgame, but it plays like one. I liked it, but found it very repetitive and difficult (tough to lose after 45 min to an hour--and you can't go on until you win).

Anyway, I'm very interested to see what others have to say about this topic.

-goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Kouba
United States
Franklin
OH
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Culcept is monopoly combined with magic. You have a deck of cards that summon creatures. When you land on an unoccupied square you may lay claim and play a card that brings forth a monster to protect it. the space itself is a color representing an element and brings income in mana. if you land on an occupied space, you may pay rent in mana (I think if i remember correct) or play a card to summon a monster to battle the monster already there. If you are the first to a certain mana amount (i think) you defeat the opponent. afterwards, if you win, you get more monsters for your deck. I like it but it is not a tactical rpg.

i have not played culdcept in a bit so i might not be 100 percent on gameplay but that is the gist.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Kinney
United States
Bellefontaine
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gelatinous Goo wrote:
What other video games are like FF Tactics?

The "Front Mission" series, at least up to III. I've got IV, but haven't played it yet. Same tactical engine, but mechs instead of magic.

The older PSX series 'Vandal Hearts' is very similar as well.

On the PC, there's the 'X-Com' series.

FWIW, FFT is just the earlier PSX game 'Ogre Battles' with a 'Final Fantasy' theme.

But as for a board game that can capture anything like this? Dunno.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
c 5
United States
Baton Rouge
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd also be interested in such a board game. I can't answer that question but I can answer this one:

Gelatinous Goo wrote:
What other video games are like FF Tactics? I've heard talk of Disgaea (sp?) and I know Disgea II is coming out soon. Also, MASTIFF La Pucelle: Tactics is supposed to be very good.

I searched a long time for other games with a similar appeal as Final Fantasy Tactics, and so I feel compelled to share my findings even if it's kind of off-topic. Of the SRPGs I've tried, these three are my favorites:

Growlanser: Generations (PS2)
This one might be kind of rare now, as Working Designs has closed, but I really liked it. It comes with two complete games: Growlanser 2 and 3. The first game in the set is definitely the stronger of the two. After I turned off all voice acting, I really liked it. Growlanser has no grid, and has some real-time strategy elements to it that work very well.

Phantom Brave (PS2)
This one is by the same people as Disgaea and La Pucelle: Tactics. The comedy in Disgaea didn't appeal to me, so I never played it, and I haven't tried LPT, but I really liked Phantom Brave. It has a ridiculous amount of customization that I enjoyed. This one's also gridless, and as with Growlanser, I turned off the voices early on.

Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance (GC)
This is the only Fire Emblem game I've played, and I was impressed with it. It's very heavy on story, but I thought the story was pretty decent so it didn't bother me. This one's simpler than the other two I mentioned, with more focus on battlefield tactics and more units in play.

I could go into much more detail, but this is sort of off-topic to begin with and there are many places to get more information on these games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Ricotta
Japan
Okinawa
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen block games mentioned here and in the other semi-similar threads posted...I've played a few block games (rommel, Victoria Cross, Euro-front) and don't really see the connection...is there a different type of block game I'm missing here?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Reine
United States
Pickerington
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
They are long out of print but Melee http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/3464 and Wizard http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/3463 combine would give you a similar board game experience. If you want something still being published try using the combat sytem from GURPS or a similar role playing game which includes hex movement rules, armour and weapon options, etc. The GURPS rules were published seperately at one time and calle Man to Man http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/8426 but I don't think they are available anymore either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dexblair .
Malaysia
Desa Petaling
W.P.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
how about, Runebound v2 by FantasyFlightGames.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/21523

with hex grid overland map, one player per character, visit towns to hire Allies, buy weapons, armor, artifacts and rune. Take challenge to upgrade/level your character. Mission to defeat the Evil Dragon Lord before he catches you.

fighting system is simple. They even have terrain difficulty, have to roll before you move. When you dont roll a proper terrain icon, u can't move into the terrain.

thankq.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sadler
United States
Olney
Maryland
flag msg tools
From the Halls of Montezuma...
badge
...to the Shores of Tripoli...
mbmbmbmbmb
Kessen Tactics is really cool too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Kouba
United States
Franklin
OH
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
on the subject of runebound

i had thought of suggesting this myself but I know I enjoyed the FFTactics game for things that Runebound doesn't contain. The most prominent of which is strategic battle. Don't get me wrong...I love RB and have all expansions but there is no strategic battle present. Also, there is a lack of character progression that FFT contains where you advance and become more specialized by changing classes. While the new class decks will hopefully add more to character cutomization to Runebound, I have to say that World of Warcraft is the best character building game although again, the strategic element to combat is lost (thank goodness since that game is long enough already).

just a few random thoughts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L Myrick
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gelatinous Goo wrote:

Not to change the focus of your post too much, but...

Somewhat along those lines is a Playstation game called Culdcept that is a FF Tactics-esque "boardgame." I don't think it actually exists as a face to face boardgame, but it plays like one. I liked it, but found it very repetitive and difficult (tough to lose after 45 min to an hour--and you can't go on until you win).

If you haven't tried Disgaea, run out and find a copy now--the most fun, funniest, tactical vidgame ever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy McKean
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about board games similar to the Langrisser/Warsong series, for that matter?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy McKean
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gecko23 wrote:
On the PC, there's the 'X-Com' series.

Of course, if you like X-Com, there's also Warhammer 40k: Chaos Gate, and the Jagged Alliance series.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. H.

Silver Spring
Maryland
msg tools
Disgaea (PS2), La Pucelle: Tactics (PS2), Makai Kingdom (PS2), and Phantom Brave (PS2) are all put out by a company called NIS, or Nippon Ichi Software. There's also a sequel to Disgaea in the works, expected out around Fall / Winter of this year.

Other tactical video games not previously mentioned include: The Tactics Ogre Series (various games on the Super Nintendo, GBA and PS one); Suidoken Tactics (PS2), and a suprisingly fun and relatively unknown game called Gladius (XBOX, PS2) which was put out by Lucasarts.

The real repository for tactics games currently is the GBA: Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, Onimushu: Tactics Advance ; The Advance Wars series (2 on GBA, one on DS) ; Rebelstar Tactics Advance (from the makers of X-com), Fire Emblem (2 on GBA). Also, a game called Pirate Battles which looks to be a new addition to the Fire Emblem / Advance Wars line looks to be coming out in fall of this year, either on the GBA or DS.

Also, for those people who were talking about Culdecept, it's a unusual game, more like a cross between Magic: The Gathering and (the dreaded) Monopoly. There's dice rolling, movement, and you draw cards and summon monsters to protect your properties, instead of building houses / hotels and the like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Culdecept actually caused me physical pain to play, it was so bad.

Vandal Hearts is superior to FF Tactics, in fact I always thought Tactics was a lame rip-off. VHearts is more basic, but the fighting system is better, you have more charaters to control at once, and when the console controls your allies, unlike FF Tactics they don't act like a bunch of suicidal asses.

As for boardgames, Descent and Doom are probably your best shot. Doom is the slightly better game of these two similar games. Space Hulk is not entirely off-base and is one of the best simple tactical games ever made. Unfortunately, it's long out of print, but you might be able to pick up a used copy. These are miniatures games, but they come with everything you need -- you don't have to buy more miniatures. I might say the same things about Avalon Hill's Gunslinger that I did about Space Hulk, and there are no mini's.

As for games I haven't played, I understand that Nin-Gonost and Hybrid may be like what you're after.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Smit
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mb
What about Advance Wars? Ok you dont level up any characters but its an excellent tactical combat game. Excellent. Ive always thought it would port really easily into a great boardgame also.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olivier D.
France
Brulain
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
More Tactics games on ps1:

Hoshigami : Ruining blue Earth
the game is pretty difficult and very unforgiving. It's kind of Hit or Miss, many people didn't like it (I love it, though ).

Saiyuki Journey West
I like it too, although the AI seems to focus too much on killing your leader (which ends the game).

Arc the Lad I, II, III
Plays a bit faster than the usual tactics.

Legend of Kartia
Vanguard Bandits
Haven't played these... yet

Also, Gladius is available on NGC (and I like it, too).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Webb
United States
Whitesburg
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the Ogre Battle line, add Ogre Battle 64: Person of Lordly Caliber. It is my favorite of all the Ogre Battle games, though the original SNES game is still a blast to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.