Australia 12

Extra Time
Germany 0
Australia 2

devil

Magic Geek Shadow 11/13

.........DEW North 11/11
...... Other Shadow 0/2
(DEW North = Full Army From Mordor attacks Any DEW point.)

Magic Geek Free 3/5

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ira Fay
United States
New Haven
CT
flag msg tools
designer
:-)
badge
Fay Games logo
mbmbmbmbmb
Magic Geek wrote:
Q. Where do they hide the at key on a qwertz keyboard?

This might help:
http://www.fingertipsoft.com/kbd/cherry.html

Seems like the most common places are the Q or the V, with some function key.

Ira

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
on mine it is above the apostrophe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
LONDON
flag msg tools
mbmb
Magic Geek arrives at Brights of Beckton Stronghold
First three games

Arneson Stidgeley FPMV vs Magic Geek (see Session Report)
Magic GEEK SMV vs Daniel-lots-of-numbers
Daniel_ditto SRV vs Magic Geek

...and they are having a rematch but I have to work in the morning.

Magic did cook tea for the seven BsoB present. He is a good guest.

But, get this, Magic puts Special Tiles straight in with the other ones ("Oh, we ignore it if they are pulled"), rather than put them in the Hunt Pool, along with drawn Eye tiles, to all go back together when FSP is declared in Mordor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Sturrock
United Kingdom
Bradford
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hmmm i make that 2-1 to the Brits - hurrah! Oooh it's like the Davies cup...though it's just up to me to entertain up here. No fambly here MG!

I think I may be able to deal with his Australian tiling - any ideas on his arrival?

B

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
LONDON
flag msg tools
mbmb
bruce.s wrote:
I think I may be able to deal with his Australian tiling - any ideas on his arrival?

Magic says he'll leave at some point. Son #3 wants a shot at him tomorrow morning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCarthy
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/843560

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
LONDON
flag msg tools
mbmb
First Intercontinental Championship - score at half time
As Magic Geek heads DEW north to the Shire of York here are the results against three of the Brights of Beckton.

Magic Geek 4/5 as Shadow
(it was "One-Nil to the Cockney Boys" [tune 'Go West'] but the lead did not last)

Magic Geek 0/1 as the Free People

So Magic gets 80% as the Shadow and 0% as the Free.

The scores within our group are 60% and 40% respectively (based on last 83 games). I reckon that puts Magic Geek just ahead - but that FPMV in the very first game was sweet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J McWeasely
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
MG's one Shadow defeat went down exactly as he predicts it does: Aragorn Mordor sillyness.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
LONDON
flag msg tools
mbmb
MrWeasely wrote:
MG's one Shadow defeat went down exactly as he predicts it does: Aragorn Mordor sillyness.

Hey, there was nothing silly about Aragorn in Mordor. He was simply unstoppable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
LONDON
flag msg tools
mbmb
First Intercontinental Championship - second half
Magic Geek returned from having laid waste the Shire of York and scored two more Shadow victories - and fitted in a Free People defeat.

His score against the Brights of Beckton:

Shadow - 6/7
Free - 0/2

Magic Geek plays the Shadow well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
LONDON
flag msg tools
mbmb
First Intercontinental Championship - second half
A second FP victory - this time a Ring - sees the score after ten games - Geek vs Brights of Beckton

Shadow 6/8
Free 0/2

My own score has been 2/3 vs Magic Geek - all as the Free People. Each of these has a Session Report (there's a surprise - )

So, I was let down by the three younger members of the team (kids, eh?). Daniel scored the two other wins, as the FP, but Richard lost once, Jonathan lost twice and Daniel lost twice. But that does give Daniel a score of 2-2 vs Magic Geek - both players always winning as the Shadow. At which point Magic Geek would just shrug his shoulders and say, "Shadow wins".

Daniel and Magic Geek are now playing (what must surely be) the last game of the visit.

It has been fun having Magic Geek here. To meet another dedicated WotR fan has been most refreshing and has given me different insights.

Magic Geek has thought more about the game than any of the Brights of Beckton (but not substantially more). He has one or two little manoeuvers that we have just not considered. He is an experienced gamer (more than me) and his name is a clue as to another game he knows very, very well.

Since he is going for the SMV, MG always draws army cards with the WK - except as the end of the game approaches. Then he draws character cards - to try a final harrying of the FSP. Me, I hadn't thought of that. I just tended to draw (the WK's extra card) from whichever deck was larger. Also, using the army from Dol Goldur as the first DEW North strike force was new to me.

DEW North isn't as monochrome as I thought it would be: one army Mordor army goes north but the other might not. S&Es don't always get mustered. Different things happen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic. Geek
Liberia
far away
far away
flag msg tools
The games so far.

Shadow

1 Loss Free Military Not Dew North (Wrong House Rules)
2 Win Dew North turn 7 (?)
4 Win Dew North turn 8
5 Win Dew North turn 6
6 Win Dew North turn 6
7 Win Dew North turn 6 (tried turn 5)
10 Win Dew North turn 6
11 Win Dew North, Gandalf + King die at Barad Dur.
12 Win Dew North turn 7 (Free on 4VP)
14 Loss Turn 7 Ring beat turn 7 Dewish (Erebor was WRONG)
15 Win Dew North turn 7 (bad play on my side, 53 dice to kill basic WR)
16 Win Dew North turn 7 (12VP, FSP in eastenmet, no tiles drawn)
17 Win Dew North turn 10 (WK + Saruman Die!, FP on 4VP)

Dew North is broken, it just is.
I have lost 2 games so far as shadow on this trolliday, and both of them were, well, dodgey, and not DEW North shadow games.

The first game involved Morranon being attacked with a Palantir. I said, "Huh? you cant do that?", so he reads me the rules. And he is right, except that other parts of the rules use the same words to mean other things, as I later figured out.

page 15, under Conducting a Siege
"When a stronghold is under siege, the troops winthin can only be attacked by an army in the same region using an Action Die for battle during the Action Resolution step."

So he used "an Action Die", a palantir, to conquer Morranon.
Just like he always did.

Yes, this is wrong.
Yes, they play it differently now, but that was only after I had some time and access to another opponent. If you dont know why, someone out there will enlighten you. Probably someone who likes semantics.
Yes, he could have used his first ring. But so would I. At least part of the point is he would not have attacked if we were playing the same rules. I certainly would have played different.

In that first game with the dodgey seige rules, I played it very wrong. I should have just attacked and won, but instead I defended, rolled lots of Eyes and just couldn't get the 30 figures to Morranon to wipe them out. I mean, it was just all wrong all round.

He managed to kill 9 orcs and 4 naz while taking 2 losses.
He rolled 3 hits on both oppening attacks on the shadow strongholds, and yes it mattered as the Elves held off a strong counter attack for the game.
But, to his credit he did play it right. Through a day and a night to Dagorlad, good preparation, good card play, stupid opponent and brilliant dice rolling to abysmal. Perfect.

This does have some very serious implications to some of the statements coming out of England about Free Military. It is much, MUCH, more difficult. Sure, the shadow has a harder time if they cant spend a muster to siege, but the free just dont have enough dice to attack.

Also, in game 1 Mordor never got anywhere near DEW. They stopped looked backward, and finished in Nomanland without the ability to go anywhere.

The other shadow loss just went wrong. I played it badly, but also the game just refused to be fair. The iron dwarves of Erebor dealt 12? damage before taking a hit. I rolled 0 from 32, with cards. Woodland Realm was never crushed so I couldn't do turn 6. I spent a long time thinking on turn 6. EVERY victory point could be taken, easily, but always only 4 of the 5 I needed. So I started attacking to get any form of interference, and still couldn't kill anyone or draw anything.
Strike team Mordor went for Rohan, if they had of gone to DEW like good little boys, things would have been different.
Even so, shadow still had enough on turn 7 for the win.

All of the other shadow games were clockwork.
Strider would stride across the map, get one turn in Mordor, and lose.
Some games they didn't get to Mordor. I think I will never randomly kill Strider. It just doesn't happen.
One was a turn 6 while we watched Resident Evil, it really is like clockwork. Eyes in this game had ZERO effect. No muster dice were used to muster units. In one game I did get to attempt a probable turn 5 win, but settled for turn 6.

The last 2 games were in Germany against a quality opponent.
For the entire 2 games I did not roll a lucky combat result.
The first game was a crushing clockwork DEW North.
The second was harder. The WK and his entire army died on the WR. Rohan formed up and took out Orthanc. The Lorien containment force swamped Rohan later that turn. Lorien broke out and took Dol Guldur. Pelagir fell and the shadow won again.

I have come to the conclusion that Grey Havens & Shire are just too easy.

Free
3 Loss My Frodo dies next to Mt Doom (Shadow going nowhere militarily)
8 Win Free Military Victory (LONG GAME)
9 Win Fellowship (18 turns, 3 Free cards left to draw)
13 Loss My Frodo dies on Mt Doom (Slow Shadow)
16 Win Frodo makes it up Mt Doom on turn 10. Minas T holds out.

Three from Five with the Free is V Good, but dieing next to Mt Doom in a friendly pool is irritating. Exactly dieing on Mt Doom was worse.
Both of those games were about scattering the companions, fighting, and then racing up Mt Doom.

Game 8 could have been a Ring victory, probably, but I attacked and killed the Witch King and Saruman so the military option was just easier. It was a long, hard fought game. I wrote down all of the remaining units I had to muster because I thought there was no way I would ever muster that many units again. Then the next game was sillier.

Every draw card card was used. The Free had 3 turns without strategy cards. At game end, 7 muster dice would empty the Free force pool. Erebor, Dale and Lorien were liberated, Woodland Realm and Minas T were to be next on the list, but Rohan was truely lost.
At one point there were 14 different possible areas of interaction on the map. After a while my head hurt.

Summary

Dew North is very wrong.

It is very interesting to play against good players that have so far been isolated. Everything is almost right, but you would be surprised how small differences do make a difference.

The physical way that people play is really odd. Where they put the extra dice, where they roll the dice, put used cards, put the dead, put the character cards, put the hunt pool and the drawn tiles, and the character cards.

Turning a muster dice to a combo at the start of the turn when the Mouth is in play is a good idea. Stuff like that.

And there is a surprising number of rules questions.
The old 6 dice on we come to kill out of Orthanc.
Does deadly spells activate / advance a nation?
Is an army with a Nazgul a sauron army?
When a Dwarf leader dies with a north regular, do the dwarves advance on the political track?
Does the Spirit of Mordor (where ever that may be) count for nazgul?
Does that mean the witch king can be summoned where a Nazgul is because it is a sauron army?
Can words of power be used when attack an army without a character?
Can Grond and Fighting Uruk-Hai be extended past the 3 rounds?
Can a reinforce card be played when besieging the place they arrive? eg I besiege Minas T, can I play gaurds of the citadel?
Does gollum ignore the reveal when the last hobbit pops?
Most of these I know, few of them I can prove.

Neat trick
1) Gandalf goes to the Fords of Isen.
2) Riders of Theoden creates an army at the fords.
3) Gandalf conquers or liberates out of nowhere.

Final Score
England 4
Australia 12

Extra Time
Germany 0
Australia 2

It has been a blast.
Holing up with people that actively love the game was great.
The travelling has been hard core.
Car, Train, Train, Train, Train, Bus, Bus, Ferry, Bus, Car, Car, Walk, was the sequence in ONE DAY!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Repeating myself, when he used a palantir to attack Morannon, did he have an elven ring left? If so he could have used it for a legal attack, so the result should stand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Di Meglio
Italy
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Magic Geek wrote:
The games so far.

Shadow
And there is a surprising number of rules questions.
1) The old 6 dice on we come to kill out of Orthanc.
2) Does deadly spells activate / advance a nation?
3) Is an army with a Nazgul a sauron army?
4) When a Dwarf leader dies with a north regular, do the dwarves advance on the political track?
5) Does the Spirit of Mordor (where ever that may be) count for nazgul?
6) Does that mean the witch king can be summoned where a Nazgul is because it is a sauron army?
7) Can words of power be used when attack an army without a character?
8) Can Grond and Fighting Uruk-Hai be extended past the 3 rounds?
9) Can a reinforce card be played when besieging the place they arrive? eg I besiege Minas T, can I play gaurds of the citadel?
10) Does gollum ignore the reveal when the last hobbit pops?

I try to answer a few of them:
1) I don't understand the question.
2) "Dreadful Spells"? Yes: Card Text: Attack the Free Peoples Army...
7) Yes, even if it would not be any good of course. The pre-condition is "Play if a Nazgûl is in the battle." The presence of a character is not part of the pre-condition.
8) I have to check if there is any previous ruling on this.
9) No, because you don't control the location.
10) This should be in the FAQ already.
(3-6) are a very interesting point, which can be summed up as "do leaders count when determining nationality of an army"? My first impulse is to say "no" but I have to check if there are any inconsistencies coming out from such a ruling...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J McWeasely
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
1) Six Isengard Elites attack the Fords of Isen from Orthanc. Their combat card is "We Come To Kill". In the bonus roll, how many dice do they roll? 5 dice or 6?
7) Overruling Veldrin from last May ... http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/489146#489146
9) Actually the answer according to the FAQ is "yes".
FAQ wrote:
Q 'Guards of the Citadel' - Can this card be played if a Free Peoples army is besieging a Shadow army in Minas Tirith?

A Yes.

I was shocked, shocked, to learn that in my routine FAQ audit, but nobody else stood up at the time: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/800958#800958

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So DEW north was 6/8. Interesting.

I'm going to assume that Magic Geek is a more skilled than his average opponent over these games. 75% shadow win against an opponent that is a bit weaker seems fully in line with what I would expect to occur.

I think a strong balanced strategy would also achieve 75% against an opponent that is a bit weaker.

Ok, expansion is almost out. Time to see if DEW north is still unbalanced in the expansion

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
LONDON
flag msg tools
mbmb
Alexfrog wrote:
So DEW north was 6/8. Interesting.

I'm going to assume that Magic Geek is a more skilled than his average opponent over these games. 75% shadow win against an opponent that is a bit weaker seems fully in line with what I would expect to occur.

Magic Geek won his last two games against Daniel: so that made it 80% against the Brights of Beckton.

I am not significantly better than my three WotR-playing sons. I have scored 53% against them (50:50 Shadow/Free) in my past 58 games against them. The weakest one, Jonathan, is on 44% against his two older brothers and me.

Between the four of us, past 84 games have seen 59% Shadow wins. Magic Geek's 80% blows this out of the water.

I think the main difference was Magic Geek's appreciation of the cards - as in an earlier post of mine in this thread. Meanhwile, DEW North is simply the realisation that there are five easy VPs to be had in the DEW line - the how and when of their capture can be quite varied.

Alexfrog wrote:
I think a strong balanced strategy would also achieve 75% against an opponent that is a bit weaker.

I suppose that would be so difficult to prove - or disprove. And, as stated above, what exactly is DEW North?

In his games against us, Magic Geek did try a variety of tactics. In simple terms, if you get five VPs in the DEW line with at least one army from Mordor; draw strategy cards early and character cards late; and never put any dice in the hunt pool, you are playing DEW North. At least, that's the impression I got from seeing DEW North's inventor in action.

Although, I am waiting to be flamed by Magic Geek for reducing his strategy to such simple terms.

I think these forums might have gained the impression that DEW North is v similar time after time. After Magic Geek's ten games against us (of which, admittedly, I missed three) I'm not so sure that it is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic. Geek
Liberia
far away
far away
flag msg tools
Dew north is very simple.

Get an army from Mordor to the DEW line.

That is it.

Dew North is also 11/11

That is 100%

The two shadow games I lost were very indicative because DEW North did not occur and I lost them both.

The frist was to bizzare house rules and rolling eyes.
The second was to bad play and explicitly not sending strike team mordor alpha to DEW. If I followed the plan then I Explicitly would have won. And Erebor was just wrong in a way I have never seen before.

a beter way of explaining my shadow results is

Dew North . . 11/11
Other Shadow . 0/2

devil

And, Funny how the Shadow never beat my Free militarily

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic. Geek
Liberia
far away
far away
flag msg tools
devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
LONDON
flag msg tools
mbmb
Magic Geek wrote:

And, Funny how the Shadow never beat my Free militarily

Hey, that's 'cos I never took the Shadow against you.ninja

Also, there is my theory that the Free People choose their manner of defeat. As corruption looms inevitably, they lash out for a desperate - game-lengthening - military victory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic. Geek
Liberia
far away
far away
flag msg tools
Results updated above.

2 more Dew North wins in Germany.

I have played DEW North against 6 opponents on this trolliday and beaten them all.

As my latest german opponent said.

'How can you win when half your cards say Rohan and Gondor'

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoph M.
Germany
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Magic Geek wrote:
As my latest german opponent said.

'How can you win when half your cards say Rohan and Gondor'

I just needed another lucky roll at Pelargir to do a FPMV - ok, REALLY lucky, but nothing compared to Erebor, WR or GH before *gg*

But DEW-West is really hard. There are very few troops, but many nations to bring to war (with quite few recruitements for the elves) and most cards aim at Rohan/Gondor.
Have you ever read LotR? If you had, you wouldn't attack in such an unstylish way

And btw, I still don't see any wey to defend GH/Shire successfull. But just a few more days, and I'll getmy expansion. Lets see what it does about it (Should start shipping in Germany next week).

But of course it was obvious that you have played WAY more games than me before - even without DEW you would have won, I suppose

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.