Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I've got an 808 and a 303 and a record collection like the ABC
mbmbmbmbmb
I played Hive for the first time yesterday, and I thought it was fantastic for the first 15 minutes or so. Then it seemed that the game locked up, as we used our our ants to pin down attacking pieces so that the queens could not be surrounded (i.e., an ant was attached to an enemy piece, so that that piece could not move without breaking up the hive). With pieces pinning each other in sequence, the hive started to take a straight line shape, and it quickly became impossible for either player to win, and when we could move pieces there seemed be lots of repetition of moves to no great effect. In the end we gave up and called it a draw.

It looks at first blush like this lock-up will happen in most games unless one of the players makes a major mistake. What am I missing here? The pieces are so cool that I want to love the game, but I need your help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Taylor
United States
under surveillance
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow!

I play this game a lot, with many different people and I've never seen this sort of situation arise! In truth, I can't imagine how it could, without both sides striving for stalemate positions. Furthermore, the absolute longest game I've ever played of this was 12 minutes. Playing for 15 minutes and then locking up afterwards indicates something odd is happening. I'm no expert, but I have played dozens of games.

I suggest you go to the Hive website and look at their Tips page:

http://www.hivemania.com/tips/

Please don't give up on this game after only one play!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kandrac
United States
Grand Prairie
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The new bakelite set is beckoning...

"Buy me, buy me!"

Gg

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Herr Niemand wrote:
I suggest you go to the Hive website and look at their Tips page:

http://www.hivemania.com/tips/

Please don't give up on this game after only one play!

The tips page seems to encourage the play that caused the problem:

The standard block for the most of the game is to take advantage of the one hive rule. Where you move one of your pieces to a position around an opposing piece, that if your opponent tries to move that piece then it leaves your piece unlinked.

Something the tips page made me remember is that we both got most of our pieces into play quite early on. Is it better to hold on to your pieces for later use?

Anyway, I'm definitely going to try Hive again, because I'm sure there's a great game there if I can figure out how to get around the blocking thing. Maybe it's as simple as keeping my ants touching multiple pieces so that blocking is more difficult.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Taylor
United States
under surveillance
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sbszine wrote:
...we both got most of our pieces into play quite early on. Is it better to hold on to your pieces for later use?

Definitely yes.

That way you can place a grasshopper, say, adjacent to one of your Ants, which is near your opponent's Queen. Since I've never seen a game where all pieces are placed on the playing area, this could very well be where your stalemates are coming from. Generally, if my opponent starts dumping too many pieces on the playing surface, it's a simple matter to move a Grasshopper or Ant adjacent to your opponent's Queen and thereby put her in an untenable position. Then if that Queen doesn't move (i.e., the guy plonks down another piece) it is easy to make short work of him by growing off of your own pieces adjacent to his Queen.

That may not make much sense, but try moving to attack before you even get half your pieces down and see how it goes.

I often take Hive to the pub with me and get in about one or two games per pint of stout...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This happened to me in my first game (I just played at Essen!) The game's designer watched and advised us that we were playing very defensively/conservatively/paranoidly and should try simply being more aggressive. None of our games since then have had the stalemate problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've since played a few games where I held on to some pieces until the end (thansk to all who suggested this), and it seemed to play better. I think being more aggressive probably helps too, though I don't know whether it hurts your chances of winning... I'll have to play it a bit more to see.

One virtue of Hive is that it's beerproof, so it looks like I'll end up giving it a few more plays than I would otherwise. If I discover anything thrilling I'll report back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Tullsen
United States
VANCOUVER
WA
flag msg tools
designer
48 hour turnaround time for Prototypes!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a bit late, but this happened to me on my first play too. We basically had our pieces strung out in a line, and we couln't surround the queens (who were at the ends) at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.