Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg Low
United States
Mansfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the first game that we have really seen the death spiral of a player set in, where income is too little to support the player's stock commitments.

The game started with a few choice cards out. A service bounty to Duluth, Louisville, and a single railroad executive (RRE) card.

The bidding started flying, and everyone stayed in, which seemed to suggest that nobody had lowest stock.

The red player won the bid to go first with $39K. To put this in perspective, I've bid $37 and done very well, but that was with two RRE cards in play.

The Eastern US gets crowded in a six player game.

Red setup for the Louisville delivery and began a Northeast network.

Yellow and Purple competed in the Southeast, with purple having Atlanta, and Yellow remaining coastal. Yellow did take the Raleigh to Atlanta major line.

Green took the Duluth bounty (from Mineapolis), and then went to compete on the Atland seaboard from NYC south.

Blue built hotel NYC, and then built from NYC up to Boston, and used a city growth card in his monopilized area.

Each turn brough no income to Red, which naturally triggered another share or two every income phase. Some big deliveries were taking place, but the income just wasn't there.

It looked like a horse race between Green and Red (due to the Duluth bounty), up until Purple jumped up with the Raleigh link. Eventually the Northeast was devoid of cubes, and the expansion room that purple had made the difference.

The end scores were:

Purple = 61
Green = 56
Yellow = 49
Blue = 45
Black = 37
Red = 37

What was new to us was the fact that Red had 97 victory points, but had 56 shares of stock!!!

A very interesting game. We are still trying to figure out what going first is worth, and it certainly depends on the service bounties, railroad executives, and tycoon card.

Although all the players were watching who was winning, I think there was a bit more entertainment value in watching the death spiral of the Red player.

-Greg

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Wilson
United States
Northampton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
$37,000 in the first auction??!!!??!!

No wonder there was a death spiral. There would have to be two Railroad Executive cards, plus Perfect Engineering, Service Bounty to Mobile, New York and Chicago hotels with red cubes surrounding those cities, plus major line to Raleigh, New Industry and City Growth for our group to even break $20,000.

Insane bidding.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Blayney
Canada
Smiths Cove
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
Birdwatcher & Birdeater
mbmbmbmbmb
My friends and I have only played 2 games so far, and each time we've had only 3 players. At the start of our 2nd game the service bounty to Raleigh (3 points) came out and I really wanted to get off to a quick start. The bidding got to $6k and I thought I was going out on a limb by bidding $7. I probably would not have bid any higher and would have let the other player go first with a bid of $8.

I was able to deliver to Raleigh during the second round and was off to a good start. I ended up winning the game and wondered how important this quick start was.

Can't imagine the bidding getting up past $15 or so let alone $39 but I guess with 5 or 6 players it easily could. Kind of nice to make that "first" player pay big bucks for going first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.