Subject: Session Report rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
BGG Admin
United States
Unspecified
Texas
flag msg tools
This is an attractive (brightly coloured, big chunky plastic pieces) bidding game. The actual theme is that you have a bridge, with space for 30 shops, and the Rich Gentleman wanders back and forth across it, buying goods as he goes. There are three (repeated) elements; firstly, auctioning the right to build the next shop (which you can place on any vacant lot); secondly, bidding from a deck to offer the best price (everyone has an identical pack, lowest wins, a la Hols der Geier - ties resolved by nearest shop, but it two are the same distance away then the cards cancel each other out); thirdly, coming to private deals as the person who won the low bid can “sell” their win to someone else. Simple, elegant and fun. I went for the “build as many shops to start with as possible” approach, as (basically) the longer a shop is in existence the better your chance of getting the Rich Gentleman to visit it. I ended up with 9 (everyone else had 7). The card deck includes 10 through to 100 ducat cards, but also a “joker” which counts lower than 10 but actually nets you 20 ducats per shop you own - definitely the crucial card, not to be wasted. In this game Simon and I were doing best, but we cancelled each other’s joker at one point, letting Tim and Robin very much back into contention.

Robin doesn’t like bidding games. But she won anyway, with an incredibly close finish - 490, to 480 from me and Tim, and 455 from Simon. Simon and I would have been ahead, of course, if we hadn’t cancelled each other’s jokers at one point (in a four-player game, you’ll get four chances to use them and you really need to make them count).

If you like bidding games, I’d recommend this. Sadly, Robin doesn’t, and Tim isn’t a huge fan of this style either, so I’m going to have to find other people to play against!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.