Recommend
5 
 Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

Evo» Forums » Rules

Subject: what happens if someone is "extinct" ?? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
jose silva
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Artocarpus heterophyllus
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
if someone loses all dinos - is he out of the game or should he start like in the beginning of the game, placing 1 dino at the starting star??
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmb
During Phase 4 - "Births", he places new Dinos according to the number of "Egg genes" he owns (he must place them all adjacent to each other, but has no other limitation as he has no "adult dinos" for that turn).
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jose silva
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Artocarpus heterophyllus
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
my understanding was that the eggs need to be layed on a nearby space of a previously existing dino... since all the dinos are gone, it doesnt make a lot of common sense to the eggs just appear from nowhere... who is the mother anyway?? I dont know. Anybody has other ideas? does anyone play with the possibility of extinction?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmb
That's not my idea, it's the official rule.

FAQ (provided by Ron Magin, Managing Director Eurogames / Descartes)
Q: So, what do you do when a dino species is wiped out?
A: The player places new eggs as usual during the birth phase. However, these eggs may be anywhere on the board. If the player has more than one egg, they must be in adjacent spaces. (The idea is to form a contiguous group with your new eggs.)

Have fun!
1 
 Thumb up
5.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh. wish we had known that, I got wiped out and didn't respawncry

Actually it was the last move of the game so it wouldn't have mattered.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
The only One way a player can be in the "Births" phase without dinosaurs is to have them killed in combat. So, if you are looking for a "thematic" solution for a player with no dinosaurs still having births - pretend the eggs were laid earlier in movement, the parent was killed in combat whiles the eggs matured to hatch in the next phase.

As for elimination of players - my concern would be the board size might be too big with the removal of 1, certainly 2 players. I suspect that 3 players on a 5 player board would tend to remove competition for the viable spaces. Hence the board gets smaller with fewer players (during initial set-up).

There are plenty of other elimination games out there - personally, I don't need to turn Evo into another elimination game. I enjoy it for what it is - a game of managing the board and resources against the other players and a changing climate.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
They could also be killed by climate or event cards.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
True, true.

Was going for the simple thematic "solution" to the original question. Probably should have taken more time to discuss the tokens as "herds" of dinosaurs that are large enough to exert influence and get a token. This doesn't mean they don't exist if no tokens are present.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Radim Jurda
Czech Republic
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mb
If you are placeing new dinos, can you place them in the chain(place first one next to dino already in play and the second one next to newly birth dino), or do you have to place all of them next to previously existing dinos?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmb
Rash wrote:
If you are placeing new dinos, can you place them in the chain(place first one next to dino already in play and the second one next to newly birth dino), or do you have to place all of them next to previously existing dinos?

All adjacent to previously existing dinos.
"Baby dinos" can't have babies right away.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clarence Chambers
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
I just have to say, I really love this question. It made my day, actually.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Radim Jurda
Czech Republic
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Thanks! I though and played it this way.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Wilson
United States
Northampton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Luke the Flaming wrote:
That's not my idea, it's the official rule.

FAQ (provided by Ron Magin, Managing Director Eurogames / Descartes)
Q: So, what do you do when a dino species is wiped out?
A: The player places new eggs as usual during the birth phase. However, these eggs may be anywhere on the board. If the player has more than one egg, they must be in adjacent spaces. (The idea is to form a contiguous group with your new eggs.)

Have fun!


Darn, we didn't have access to the FAQ when we played tonight! We let the eliminated player respawn as close as possible to his "starting star"...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Burgess
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
Luke the Flaming wrote:
Rash wrote:
If you are placeing new dinos, can you place them in the chain(place first one next to dino already in play and the second one next to newly birth dino), or do you have to place all of them next to previously existing dinos?

All adjacent to previously existing dinos.
"Baby dinos" can't have babies right away.


What are you basing this on? Per this thread, that used to be a rule in the 2001 edition - but is no longer the case:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/754110/chaining-babies

Look for the detailed post by Marlin.


Edit: HA, I'm responding to a six year old post that is obviously referring to the older edition of the game. It depends on which version you are playing.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.