Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Young
Wales
Wellesley
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
And if you never have, you should. These things are fun and fun is good.
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems that the rules are confusing. At least to me...

cry

When you pay chips to increase your speed to pass a card before you are those chips then discarded when you go back into Phase 2 (i.e. to decrease your speed by at least 10 MPH)?

For example, I'm at 70 MPH (the track card is 80 MPH, let's say) and I use 3 chips to go to 100 MPH to pass an Old Pro at 90 MPH just in front of me. B/c I passed him I have to go to Phase 2, drive option, to reduce my speed by at least 10 MPH. Am I considered to be going 100 MPH at this point (with my chips) or am I at 70 again?

Andy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zev Shlasinger
United States
Naples
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
medievalbanquet wrote:

For example, I'm at 70 MPH (the track card is 80 MPH, let's say) and I use 3 chips to go to 100 MPH to pass an Old Pro at 90 MPH just in front of me. B/c I passed him I have to go to Phase 2, drive option, to reduce my speed by at least 10 MPH. Am I considered to be going 100 MPH at this point (with my chips) or am I at 70 again?

Andy

****You are considered to be going 70mph. The increase via chips is very temporary.

Zev Shlasinger, President
Z-Man Games, Inc.
www.zmangames.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heinrich Glumpler
Germany
Koeln
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmb
Hi,

Z-Man (hi) is correct.

Increasing and Decreasing speed with chips is temporary in all cases.

If trying to pass the car in front - check the speed on your cards and pay chips to increase it. The increased speed is *only* used in the duel against the car driving in front of you.

As soon as you passed the car (or failed to pass it) only the speed on your cards is relevant.

Same applies when paying chips to decrease speed temporarily.
Each time you check your speed against the speed limit - consider your speed on your cards - then pay chips, if necessary - the decreased speed is *only* used for the speed limit check.

As soon as you paid the chips for the speed limit check use the speed on your cards for attacking the next car in front of you.

See also the FAQ at www.erlkoenig.net

Best Regards
Heinrich Glumpler

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Young
Wales
Wellesley
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
And if you never have, you should. These things are fun and fun is good.
mbmbmbmbmb
Great, that is how we played it. But, it wasn't clear in my mind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Olson
United States
Auburn
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How great is it that you get a reply from both the Publisher and the Designer.

I love the geek .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain PB
Canada
Georgetown
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So if you start with cards in front of you that are above the speed limit you pay chips to reduce your speed, and then during the overtake phase your speed counts as the speed limit (because you slowed down with chips), and you need to spend chips again to speed up to pass.
Also, can you still optimize or drive if you had to pay chips because you were speeding? Or if at the beginning of that phase you were speeding you lose your right to the action?
Sorry if this isn't teh right place to ask, but I'm a little confused.
Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CaptainPB wrote:
So if you start with cards in front of you that are above the speed limit you pay chips to reduce your speed, and then during the overtake phase your speed counts as the speed limit (because you slowed down with chips), and you need to spend chips again to speed up to pass.

No, that's the opposite of what was answered :) Let's say you have these cards in front of you: 50+30+20=100. You are currently in a curve, where the speed limit is 90. During phase two, for simplicity's sake, let's just say you exchanged some cards in your hand, so your speed is unchanged. You are still driving too fast, so you pay one chip to TEMPORARILY decrease your speed by 10, so it's now 90 and legal in the turn. The chip is discarded, and in phase 3, when overtaking (or defending against an overtake) your speed is again the sum of your cards (100) + any chips you NOW want to play to TEMPORARILY increase your speed.

All chips are always "one use". They last for one situation and are immediately discarded.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.