Subject: Is T&E 2-4 player or 3-4 player? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike O'Brien
United States
Unspecified
Illinois
flag msg tools
I'm pretty sure this has been asked/answered somewhere here in the forums but after quite a bit of searching I was unable to find it... Anyways the BGG and other sites state that Tigris & Euphrates is a 2-4 player game where my game (English version) and the Mayfair site state it as a 3-4 player game. I'm a little confused as to why this is the case. I'm thinking it might be that the original German version, Euphrat & Tigris, is 2-4 and the english version is 3-4 (?). Not really sure though.

Any ideas?

Also, if the english version is in fact 3-4, has anyone tried playing it with 2 players or found a 2 player variation that they liked?

Thanks!

m

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a mistake on Mayfair's part. I have tha mayfair edition. The rule book specifically says it can be played with 2.

Some people find it less interesting with 2, but it is clearly playable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike O'Brien
United States
Unspecified
Illinois
flag msg tools
William

That makes sense... Thanks for the quick response!

m

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
Ignore what it says on the outside of the Mayfair box, it is 2-4 player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Betty Egan
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoy it very much as a 2-player game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Mike,

I think it plays best with only 2 players, and I have the Mayfair misprinted edition

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mosse Stenström
Finland
Porvoo
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In my experience, a 2-player Tigris & Euphrates can be either horrible or outstanding, very much depending on the players.

The map itself is a bit on the large side for only two players, so if both are trying to avoid conflict it can be a boring two-player-solitaire. But as long as neither player is afraid of battling it can be just as tense and exciting as a three-four player game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike O'Brien
United States
Unspecified
Illinois
flag msg tools
Thanks for all the responses! I'll definitely have to try it 2 player.

BTW, as much as I visit this site I didnt realize, until my post got moved from the general discussion to here, that there is a forum for each game.... I just looked down the list for T&E and there is a discussion about 2 player T&E... Sorry for the double post! blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wmshub wrote:
That's a mistake on Mayfair's part. I have tha mayfair edition. The rule book specifically says it can be played with 2.

I have the latest edition from Mayfair from 2004 and the rulebooks (the new full-color booklets) do not say anywhere how many players the game should be played with. The only indication is the box, which states 3-4 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
dcorban wrote:
wmshub wrote:

I have the latest edition from Mayfair from 2004 and the rulebooks (the new full-color booklets) do not say anywhere how many players the game should be played with. The only indication is the box, which states 3-4 players.
I stand corrected. I have the same edition, and I was sure I read somewhere that 2 to 4 players could play...but I just checked, I could not find it mentioned anywhere in the rules or the summary booklet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From reading posts on this site, I knew that quite a few people played this game with only 2 players. This made me assume that there were some optional 2 player rules. I specifically looked through the manuals for any mention of playing with 2 players and was surprised there was none. From the game sessions I have read about, along with my own feelings, I think 2 players is not enough for this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.