Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve M.
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hey BGGers,

I've been enjoying my few games of Doom that I have played... but one thing I am quickly learning is this game takes tons of time to play. My last 4 player game ran 5 hours, far too long for what the game is trying to simulate.

The balance issues of the game are better... the marines almost punched a hole big enough with the BFG in the final room of Knee Deep in the Dead to get through but some costly errors of direction ate up too much time and snuck me as the Invader the win. That being said the marines took a lot of time to come up with an ever-changing plan of action. I gave them the "organized marines" mod to help them determine their turn order to maximize their efforts but it ate huge chunks of time. Should I scrap that mod to cut down on time or impliment a timer for the marines?

Steve

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Figgins
United States
Woodland
California
flag msg tools
badge
http://lyrislaser.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I give them a timer - something like 5 minutes to get through all 3 marine turns, more or less depending on your players. If they don't make it, anyone remaining gets a Dodge order, and we move on to the Invaders.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Pelkey
United States
Wallkill
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This criticism arises often, (along with "too hard for the Marines"). It must boil down to the play style of the Marine players.

I've only played the first scenario (twice) as the DM, helping my 11 and 9 year olds learn the rules. We were using the difficulty mods(Not Too Rough) and dud cards from the expansion. I had thought my kids were blowing through rooms with reckless abandon, barely stopping to pick up items and completely ignoring monsters that they could leave in their dust. Turns out, as I read some strategy tips later, this is a pretty good strategy. And it makes the game go quickly (~ 2 hours).

Of course, in the second game, they got too reckless, at one point the older brother left his partner behind: very un-Marine behavior, as well as poor strategy. He then proceeded to open two sets of doors in one turn, at the 4 way juncture north of the starting room. It was pretty ugly after that.

Atom

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Wilson
United States
Northampton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zombie

I played my copy once, at my local FLGS with some serious eurogamers, and one player is also an Advanced Squad Leader vet.

We played with the "Blood in the Shadows" scenario from the FFG website, which, according to the publishers is, "designed to be shorter and play more quickly than those included in the Scenario Guide."

What a crock! Granted, we were all learning the rules, but it took 4 hours to get through only 65% of the scenario. My tendency was to be more "cowboy" about everything, and "just do it", while my fellow marines wanted to analyze carefully what they were doing.

Definitely needs a timer or some other fix.

Besides a timer, any other suggestions? I like that if the timer is up, players automatically get a Dodge Order.

zombie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Borges
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was in on the game that Steve is talking about, and I must agree it took forever. But I also have to say that we as the marines are to blame for it going longer than it should have, because we over-analysed everything, from who would get the weapons to who would go where, etc.
I must say, though, it's also about communication between the marines and how they work together. I'm not saying my fellow marines were bad players or anything, but I guess they didn't see some strategies that I often had to YELL at them about (Steve can attest to this, with dismay I bet, since it stopped him from getting some important shots in).
In the end, it was the slow procedure (and a tad bit of bad luck, too, with the blue key breaking) that hurt us, as we could have gotten to the end much quicker than we should have. Sometimes it does pay to go all Rambo on the OL's a**.
Which we shall do next time

I'm still in the midst of writing up the Report for this one, hoping it turns out as well as I want it to. You shall see it within a few days. Heh, but of course I'll try not to mention our mistakes too much!

I think a timer would be good for this. Maybe even a sand timer that the OL flips twice per marine? That's more than enough time, I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve M.
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Von Cougar wrote:
I think a timer would be good for this. Maybe even a sand timer that the OL flips twice per marine? That's more than enough time, I think.

Funny you should mention this Justin but that's what I had in mind... I have a 1-minute sand timer from another game. Maybe 2 minutes to make a plan and then one minute to finish each individual turn for 5 minutes of total marine time... that sounds fair and would add greatly to the tension the game is trying to create for the marines. We need to play it again ASAP!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Virtaperko
Finland
flag msg tools
I found the thought of marines playing against not only invaders but time amusing. Why should they be let any time thinking, they all soldiers after all. Some mod might take place here in a way that marines will have time-out cards to buy some time to think for a while and plan their actions. They shouldn't be able to do that every turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Wilson
United States
Northampton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like an arguement for an even shorter timer. I own a 3-minute timer... I think that's all the Marines OR the Invading Player should get, period. Three minutes for all the Marines combined.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Virtaperko
Finland
flag msg tools
Three minutes should be more than enough for all marines. Their task is quite simple anyways, just decide where to walk and what to shoot. Usually their turn takes time when a marine player starts arguing about what is the best action for other marines. Invader turn has often been quite faster than marines turn, save the time invader player must spent looking for right corridor pieces and monster figures.

BTW with only one marine player game plays nicely. I've been thinking about playing with two players, invader and marine, where marine controls more than one soldier. Time shouldn't be a problem in that kind of game, unless the lonely marine player starts to argue with herself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.