Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Miguel (working on TENNISmind...)
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
My latest game: Big*Bang, a simple abstract about the first minutes of the Universe
badge
My best-rated game: TETRARCHIA, about the tetrarchy that saved Rome
mbmbmbmbmb
I submitted, for the first time, some images and files more than a week ago. While the images were accepted or rejected almost the same day, ALL the 5 files are still pending. Is there a normal delay for files (few weeks)? Since none of them were scans or, I think, things subject to copyright issues (home-made translation of tiles for LotR:tC or alternate board for En Garde, for example), I wonder what are moderators checking for so long...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner Bär
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Image are moderated by some (a lot) volunteers. Everyone can participate.

Files (and other contend, such as new games) are moderated by the bbg admins. Lots of work for very few people, so it often takes a week or two (or three). For example, you can look at the queue of submitted games:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/userqueue.php
Don't know if a similar view for files submitted exists.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sterling Babcock
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Winkles is here to help!
badge
Please let me know how I can help you.
mbmbmbmbmb
As Werner said, images are moderated by users. It used to be that images were approved by admins, and they had a month long back log or more.

Files continue, and will continue, to be moderated by admins. It seems most of the file moderation is done by me (95% as near as I can tell). It takes hours to download each file, try each cyberboard, install each application, listen to each audio, view each file, reject images submitted as files, reject copyrighted stuff, reject pages on pages of copyrighted stuff submitted one ... page .... at ... a ... time ....

Files must be moderated due to the copyright issues, and the finer control of content required than images. You can see some of the issues that have come up from user image moderation.

There were some 9 pages of files (about 30 files each) when I worked on them this weekend. I approved them as quickly as I could. I got them down to 4 pages after working several hours. I do not even get a dime of geekgold for it! Not a cent!

We simply cannot keep up. Sorry for the rant, but I guess I am tired of people moaning about how long it takes to approve files. We do the best we can.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel (working on TENNISmind...)
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
My latest game: Big*Bang, a simple abstract about the first minutes of the Universe
badge
My best-rated game: TETRARCHIA, about the tetrarchy that saved Rome
mbmbmbmbmb
sbabcock wrote:
We simply cannot keep up. Sorry for the rant, but I guess I am tired of people moaning about how long it takes to approve files. We do the best we can.

Terribly sorry for being one of those people. As I said, it is the first time I submit, and the asymmetry images/files triggered my curiosity. Thanks for the explanation and for keeping BGG the way it is!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ima Meeple
Denmark
Unspecified
flag msg tools
I've submitted 3 games so far, and 2 were approved within 4 days, 1 is still pending, not a long wait IMO.

Werbaer wrote:
[...]you can look at the queue of submitted games:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/userqueue.php
Don't know if a similar view for files submitted exists.

To quite Mr.Sparkle: Awesoma powah!!!

sbabcock: what about having some of the regulars and/or BGG veterans help you out?
I'm sure that with a userbase this huge, there's bound to be at least a few members you could trust with this work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Sorbello
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
sbabcock wrote:
As Werner said, images are moderated by users. It used to be that images were approved by admins, and they had a month long back log or more.

Files continue, and will continue, to be moderated by admins. It seems most of the file moderation is done by me (95% as near as I can tell). It takes hours to download each file, try each cyberboard, install each application, listen to each audio, view each file, reject images submitted as files, reject copyrighted stuff, reject pages on pages of copyrighted stuff submitted one ... page .... at ... a ... time ....

Files must be moderated due to the copyright issues, and the finer control of content required than images. You can see some of the issues that have come up from user image moderation.

There were some 9 pages of files (about 30 files each) when I worked on them this weekend. I approved them as quickly as I could. I got them down to 4 pages after working several hours. I do not even get a dime of geekgold for it! Not a cent!

I hear you! Why would people care anyway... If it's good it will be accepted and waiting a couple of weeks hasn't hurt anyone... Keep up the good job! And i gave you some geekgold because i felt so sorry for you...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve+Jackie McKeogh
United Kingdom
Okehampton
Devon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The time and effort sbabcock puts into this is worthy of the highest praise, and he still manages to find time to respond quickly to forums, etc. If I could figure any value in geekgold I'd gladly donate him most of mine! I don't see how checking files could properly be done by non BGG admin since there are always so many doubts about copyright issues. So a couple of weeks is fine when it ensures the files are legitimate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shaffer
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sbabcock wrote:

It's a bit rude to tell someone who simply asked a question about the process that they're "moaning." I think it was a reasonable question and Miguel asked it very politely. Everyone knows the BGG admins and moderators do the best they can, but that shouldn't prevent people from asking questions.

If you can't keep up and it's such a burden that you get stressed enough to rant when people ask simple, polite questions about the process, perhaps a new process needs to be developed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sterling Babcock
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Winkles is here to help!
badge
Please let me know how I can help you.
mbmbmbmbmb
TheCat wrote:
It's a bit rude to tell someone who simply asked a question about the process that they're "moaning." I think it was a reasonable question and Miguel asked it very politely. Everyone knows the BGG admins and moderators do the best they can, but that shouldn't prevent people from asking questions.

If you can't keep up and it's such a burden that you get stressed enough to rant when people ask simple, polite questions about the process, perhaps a new process needs to be developed.

You have a good point. Part of my reply was not directed at Miguel, which I had hoped was clear, but apparently was not. It seems like every week there is someone posting "why aren't my files up yet", and I was responding in general, not specifically. I am just trying to explain why file moderation takes longer than images.

I am happy to answer questions and help people. For example, I occasionally get requests like "I cannot remember what I have in the queue, and I need to know so I know what to send next." I can find out and let them know.

nico-dk wrote:
what about having some of the regulars and/or BGG veterans help you out? I'm sure that with a userbase this huge, there's bound to be at least a few members you could trust with this work.

Basically, it requires admin access to do the moderation, and it really depends on how busy the admins are helping with the site.

lexen wrote:
And i gave you some geekgold because i felt so sorry for you...

LOL. That is very kind. It is really unnecessary, though. I was just comparing it to image moderation by regulars.

Sterling

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ima Meeple
Denmark
Unspecified
flag msg tools
I'd like to say that all work behind the scenes on BGG is greatly appreciated. This place is growing on me .... fast.
The sheer level of info and features is unbelievable, and to top that of, flames seem to be down to a minimum. People tend to tackle difference in oppinion, as just that; a difference.
Great example just 2 posts above mine. A user can publicly disagree with an admin, and points out his griveances (sp?) in a decent manner. To which said admin actually replies in a similar manner, no power trips.
How I wih the emulator scene would be just as good ...

Off topic rants aside ...

sbabcock wrote:
nico-dk wrote:
what about having some of the regulars and/or BGG veterans help you out? I'm sure that with a userbase this huge, there's bound to be at least a few members you could trust with this work.

Basically, it requires admin access to do the moderation, and it really depends on how busy the admins are helping with the site.

Well I think Aldie's workload is to small anyway (< bad joke ... had to post it anyway )*, so couldn't he just make a few upgrades for BGG, something along the lines of a special 'Submittion moderator group', and trusted people could be assigned to that ??

Note this is not meant as a complaint, but a suggestion to improve this place, and maybe get some of the naggers of your back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shaffer
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sbabcock wrote:
It seems like every week there is someone posting "why aren't my files up yet", and I was responding in general, not specifically. I am just trying to explain why file moderation takes longer than images.

This is a clear indication that there's a problem that needs to be solved. I posit that the optimal solution involves figuring out how to speed up file approvals, so you don't have to spend all your time answering questions about delays in file approvals.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.