Subject: I'm very close to buying this game but.... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Balaam-Reed
United Kingdom
Reigate
Surrey
flag msg tools
Hi, in the last six months found a love of games by the great Herr Knizia, I mostly play with three people so have decided against buying Amun-re as the majority say that it is not ideal for that number - i was told to check out Tower of Babel, i have been looking at many articles and read the rules and it looks very interesting with a nice psychological element to it which my friends and I enjoy (we love Ra). My main reservation is the power cards, how much effect do they have on the game? Are they balanced?

Your thoughts on this and any other reason why I should or shouldn't go for this games would be appreciated

Regards

Benny

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Haberman
United States
Painesville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The power cards are not very balanced in my opinion, but they also don't really affect the game all that much either. You may only get 1 or 2 in a game, and you may not get any. They serve thier purpose of getting people to finish wonders off. I love the game, but it definatley has some luck to it. If you like games where you are involved at all times, then this is a good one. No down time, fast play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
They're balanced well enough. Though they definitely encourage people to finish wonders, their primary purpose is to encourage players to START every wonder. You can only finish a wonder if another player completed the second of the three chips for that wonder. If everyone wants to avoid giving the next player the opportunity to get the special card it will bring all 8 wonders into the game fairly early.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Chappelear
United States
Kensington
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I seem to remember reading somewhere (it must have been here on the Geek) that Tower of Babel was Knizia's personal favorite game to play with three players.

I've played it twice with three, and tend to agree--it works quite well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Edwards
United States
South Attleboro
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Greatest secret agent in the world!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
tomchaps wrote:
I seem to remember reading somewhere (it must have been here on the Geek) that Tower of Babel was Knizia's personal favorite game to play with three players.

I've played it twice with three, and tend to agree--it works quite well.

It really grew on me as a 3 player game. I didn't much care for it with more players. Come to think of it, I probably should get a copy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tolin
United States
Beaumont
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:
You can only finish a wonder if another player completed the second of the three chips for that wonder.

-MMM

Is this a rule I missed? Why can't the same player build all 3 discs of a wonder? We've only played once, but I don't remember a rule like this.

Thanks,

David T.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not a rule - it's what typically happens. You can, of course, do all three parts yourself, but it's much more likely once you've finished the second part that the next player will call to finish it to earn the bonus card.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.