Popular Tags: [View All]
Louise Holden
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just acquired a deck of 45 cards made up of 15 creatures each in three parts (eg head, middle, tail). Absolutely gorgeous cards from The Green Board Game Co- they include a particularly fine Komodo Dragon (my second favourite animal).

The box recommends a sort of Go Fish game, or a memory matching game. Since I'm technically 4+ I could play these but I'd rather have something more interesting. Anyone got any suggestions?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Bergeron
United States
Framingham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could play a form of rummy, where any head-body-tail combination can be played as a creature, round ends when someone runs out of cards. Score more points for matched creatures than mismatched ones. Not sure how that wuld play with the ratios of parts available...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olivier D.
France
Brulain
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Instant Game!

1) Assign various destructive powers (points) to each part (card).
2) go Knizia on those cards, and auction them in pairs (1 face up, 1 hidden) to players, who buy them by spending mutation points (unlimited pool).
3) Players then assemble an Ultimate Monster of Total Doom (head, body, legs) from their hand (bonus destruction points if some or all cards are from the same set), and send it to battle their opponents'.
4) Each player scores the total of the destruction points of the monster right below theirs, the least destructive monster scoring nothing (eg: player A played a 30 points monster, B a 10, C a 24 and D a 3. A scores 24, B 3, C 10 and D 0). Cards played are discarded. Unopposed monsters score their own full value.
5) repeat 4-5 until nobody can send a monster anymore.
6) Total the score for each player, substract the mutation points the players spent in phase 2, and Whoever has the most points (or least negative) wins.

(Hey this could even work! )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Tavener
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
The overtext below is true.
badge
The overtext above is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool... there is a game I have been working on that might just fit the bill. Could I have a list of animals, please?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louise Holden
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ant
Caterpillar
Centipede
Coral Snake
Fiddler Crab
Garden Snail
Iguana
Komodo Dragon
Rattlesnake
Scorpion
Sea Slug
Slow Worm
Spider
Stag Beetle
Tiger Salamander

All in realistic style with appropriate backgrounds.
There's another set of flying creatures available. £2.99 from Oxfam.

Liked Oliver's game- definitely three player or more so there may be a pause before I get to try it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Tavener
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
The overtext below is true.
badge
The overtext above is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks... think you might need to buy the flying critters as well... and think I might need a trip to Oxfam. So, inspired by Quirks, we have: EcoRummy

Basic rummy rules; each player starts with 9 cards. Turn sequence:
- draw a card or take top card from the discard pile
- meld 0 or more sets
- discard a card.

A meld is a head-body-tail from the same kingdom; the kingdoms in this case being sea life, reptiles, and insects/arachnids.

Game end; after discarding, if a player has 0 cards in hand, the round ends; cards in hand count -1 point each, cards in play are scored as follows:
3 points for a creature, plus 1 point for each other creature that your animal can eat. Animal A can eat animal B if the head of A can eat the tail of B. Animals can't eat themselves.

Special rules:

If you meld a complete set of the following animals, you get a special ability:

Scorpion: poison sting - when you make this meld, discard a meld of your choice; if no other melds are in play, the scorpion discards itself

Komodo Dragon: coprovore - at the end of the game, scores one point for each complete animal (matching parts) in the discard pile.

Um, maybe some others!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louise Holden
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Stephen- we tried a game of that. Ended up with a long discussion about whether a centipede would eat a stag beetle or vice versa. Apart from that it was good- need more special abilities for complete creatures though. And the second deck.

Oh, and the animals didn't all face the same way which led to some ad hoc rules about when tails could be turned over!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.