Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
20 Posts

Power Grid» Forums » General

Subject: Power Grid not a good introduction game??!! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gotthard Heinrici (prev. Graf Strachwitz)
Germany
Düsseldorf
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This weekend I had my parents over (aged 70 & 68 years). They are sometimes playing a traditional card game but that's it.

After a lovely diner in town we decided to play a game and don't ask me why but I introduced them to Power Grid.

I explained them step by step and after we played three rounds everything was clear to them.

We started a new game (and decided we play only through to hase one) and my mom won the game with 8 cities connected, followed by my dad with seven cities connected and poor me.....only had 6 cities connected.

I was supposed to beat them easily....maybe too many beers.....

Anyhow, it was a lovely evening, we had a blast playing and they can't wait to play again.

For a game addict like me it is always difficult to see how well a game is received but it was lovely to see them think and play.

(Last time they were over I taught them Web of Power, which my mom won as well).

Next time they will come I will get History of the World on the table!!
(we have to satrt early and skip a few Epochs....)

Hey, maybe I will play advanced squad leader with my mom and dad in a few months time

Anyhow: don't be afraid of taking Power Grid as introduction game but my advice is to play phase one. If they are in for it, you can continue the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Rollings
United Kingdom
Peterborough
Cambs
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's just not a good game full stop

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jae
United States
Bryan
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
markrollings wrote:

2312 people disagree with you.
I happen to think it is a wonderful game when played in full.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Is it just me or do my balls itch?
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this is a perfect introduction game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dane Peacock
United States
Stansbury Park
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
That tickles
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Anyhow: don't be afraid of taking Power Grid as introduction game

I fully agree. I would throw in other games that some people think are maybe too complex for new comers: Puerto Rico, Princes of Florence, etc. All of the highly rated euro strategy games make great introductory games.

Also, I believe that you should never leave out or change rules to simplify things for the newbies. I hate when people feel the need to do that. It's a horrible idea. Give them the chance to experience the full impact of the game to begin with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
skippen
United States
Greeley
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Cary Grant, 1904 - 1986
badge
How old Cary Grant? Old Cary Grant fine. How you?
mbmbmbmbmb
Power Grid is just to brutal of a game to be an introduction game. Like Age of Steam, if you make a mistake early in the game, you just circle the toilet of doom forever after.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Martin
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played it with a bunch of newer gamers this weekend and it was a big success. The game is actually fairly easy to grasp. As long as you have one person running the game who knows all the weirdnesses about discarding power plants, refueling etc it's actually a fairly easy game to learn. FYI I came in third place.

Puerto Rico, on the other hand, has a million bits and all the text on the buildings to learn. I think it's a bit much for new players. Maybe after they've tried Settlers and Carcassonne.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Have faith
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Power Grid not a good introduction game??!!
Well, of course, it all depends on your newbies.

In your case, where they had already played and enjoyed a euro game like Web of Power, and where you knew them so well (your parents), why not try Power Grid.

However, if a group of newbies was new to euro games and/or not even sure they wanted to play a boardgame at all, no way would I use PG as an intro game. It is likely more challenging than they will be expecting. Ticket to Ride or a light card game like For Sale would be my general tendency in that case. However, after they had enjoyed a couple games like TtR or Settlers, newbies like these might then be ready to move up to Power Grid. IMO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall P.
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
"Nothing in Biology Makes Sense Except in the Light of Evolution" - Theodosius Dobzhansky
badge
There is grandeur in this view of life, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved.
mbmbmbmbmb
Power Grid is a great introductory game because (despite the relative klunkiness that gamers perceive) it is relatively clear what you are doing and why. You are buying power plants and fuel so that you can power cities and earn money, there's not a lot of abstractness there. Just make sure that the experienced gamer handles the fiddly bits of the powerplant market. The only real hang up is the turn order but that will not be enough to stop new gamers from understanding and enjoying the game.

Now, History of the World is another matter...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Rollings
United Kingdom
Peterborough
Cambs
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bagherra wrote:
markrollings wrote:

2312 people out of the population of the world? I think I'm on the bigger side

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben .
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Power Grid IS quite complicated for new players, but in my experience it has a great hook - the raw materials market:

When they buy cities on the map it's a bit "meh", and in the early power plant auctions, nobody really knows what they're bidding on..... but show those new players the way the prices of materials rise and fall as demand changes, and you get some real "that's really clever!" comments.

Puerto Rico has had similar experiences for me when introducing it to new players: "I get my OWN board? Very interesting...". The role selection is a bit trickier, but when they've been through the first four or five rounds and they notice for the first time how what role they select affects what role the next player picks and how it affects them in turn.......... their eyes light up like they think they're the first person to spot the strategy...... every time!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
anoni mouse
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I see no problem with Power Grid as a starter game as long as at least one person knows what they are doing and everyone has a IQ above tap water.

But I have found that when you teach a game to someone that is not a heavy gamer then you stand a 80% of loosing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
phil v
United States
Richmond (North of Berkeley)
California
flag msg tools
cscottk wrote:
Power Grid is just to brutal of a game to be an introduction game. Like Age of Steam, if you make a mistake early in the game, you just circle the toilet of doom forever after.

Wow, If Age of Steam is only as unforgiving as PG, maybe I should give it a shot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dane Peacock
United States
Stansbury Park
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
That tickles
mbmbmbmbmb
Introducing new games to non/traditionally-only gamers is all about the mind opening experience of discovering the new and elegantly designed mechanics and strategies that the Euro games offer.

Playing optimally and being super competitive are secondary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
markrollings wrote:

Then Monopoly and Cranium win.. Enjoy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan L
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
markrollings wrote:

Nah, out of the 2440 people that have rated it, so you are in the five percent minority.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shingo Ishikawa
Australia
Isaacs
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As I mentioned else where, this is a great introductory game, or at least for me here anyway. The theme is quite fitting to the game play, and it has best of auction, resource management and manipulation, connection, etc that many other euro can offer.

It's so popular here that there are always someone asking to play it every week.. now can't wait to try Italy and France map.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Case
England
Epsom
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
https://www.facebook.com/amuse.ment.92
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
markrollings wrote:
Bagherra wrote:
markrollings wrote:

What superb fluffy logic! Just like the cat food ads, we are 8/10 owners who expressed a preference. Which means that only 20% of the world doesn't eat Pussy Gobble that nutricious cylinder of guck in a tin.

Sounds like you need to downgrade your 6 rating and free up some space on the games shelf.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Rollings
United Kingdom
Peterborough
Cambs
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
angry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Marques
Portugal
Cidade da Maia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
some people like red.. other people like blue....

i like power grid.

not only the game, but the theme and illustrations. it's very nice to look at and to play it.

i've just played with my mom, dad, brother with 30 yrsold and his wife. my mom and dad never played a "2nd generation" generation and don't have the habit to play games... my brother only played samurai last weekend...

well what i'm trying to say is that we've played de step 3 version... i was a bit affraid they get bored .. and they did... my mom and brother... on the other hand... my father and bother's wife loved it... so... i think it's just a game that some people like and others don't... maybe because the mathematical progression the game is based on...

if it's a good start game. i think not, because it's long and the strategy could be 2/4 turns ahead... i've got better results with carcassonne or samurai...

... but that's my opinion

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.