Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Keith Sloan
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This was the first time I'd played Goblin in about 20 years. My old copy of the game had been sold by my parents in the infamous Garage Sale of Doom, so I had to make do with a homemade copy, courtesy of the folks at http://dwarfstar.brainiac.com

Since this was a test run of my homemade version, I played a solo game of only one raid cycle, rather than repeating it per the rules. It took very little time to relearn the rules, as the turns play out quite simply. The only complication was counting up points for all the units for their various modes of attack, though this was mere bookkeeping. All told, the game took about an hour, which included a quick read through of the rules.

As far as startegy, I think I was overly aggressive with the Goblins. Though they succeeded in plundering the majority of the towns (only the Abbey and the 3-hex city remained unscathed), successful human counterattacks caused a large portion of the plunder to be dropped and thus lost. A slightly less aggressive goblin raid would have probably sacked fewer towns but actually resulted in more plunder returned to the caves. As it was, the Goblins captured 35 points worth.

Next up, finding a live body to play this game to test it out further.

I posted a photo of the game in the appropriate place titled something like "The Goblin King escapes by the skin of his teeth." This was the end of the game, in which the King managed to somehow cut his way out of the combined forces of the Count and the Baron, along with supporting forces. He may not have got any of his plunder home, but at least he got himself home!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.