Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Please check out my other reviews at:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/145695/the-purge-revie...

This has grown into one of my favorite games of all time. This game has so much variety and different combinations that it continually stays fresh. If you can get into the storytelling with the super heroes and the ongoing villains and environments, you are in for quite a ride.

Of course I would prefer this type of game with the characters I already know and like (Marvel/DC), it is easy to fall in love with this universe. There are back stories for each character and different relationships between the characters. The team behind the game really have gone above and beyond to create this universe that is seen growing in the expansions. Top notch work.

As for the game, unlike DC and Marvel's latest card game, you actually play one single super hero and not a team of super heroes. Most players normally learn a character and his/her pros and cons. Some characters are brute force and others have powers that are much more subtle. The characters are pretty balanced and different characters are useful in different ways. When playing with a group of players, you really need to choose a good team and a balanced team. In addition, depending on which villain you are against may dictate which heroes you pick.

The flow of the game is pretty easy to learn and to teach. As the game is a co-op, the game is easy to learning because everyone is working together. The doesn't have the alpha problem (where one person tells everyone else what to do) because everyone has their own deck (you can ask others for help and the players can work together to cause even more damage) of cards.

The villains are hard (some are harder than others) and the team really needs to work together to beat the villain (and his/her minions). The environments also can make the game harder/easier. This challenge is important for long term enjoyment.

The game has so much variety (not to mention expansions) and it is so fun you will want to keep playing it over and over.

The downside to the game is the amount of math in this game. It is all simple addition and subtraction. The second edition comes with markers for hit points and powers (ex: +1 to damage, etc). The first edition did not come with these counters and it was a pain in the butt. It is possible to not get the right cards when you need them, but that is an issue with any card game I assume.

This game is a definite keeper. I didn't like this game all that much when I played the first edition. I decided to keep playing as the theme was so good and I kept hearing great things about it. I'm so glad I stuck with it. This game is one of my top 10 favorite games and likely top 5 in amount of times I've played it. It gets added points that I can play solo.

Components:

As far as components go, the 2nd Enhanced Edition upgraded the components in a fantastic manner. The first edition box was a small square box that didn't fit all the cards. This box is great and fits a lot of the expansions also (with title cards to split things up). Unlike the first edition, the box will actually close and protect your cards.

Another upgrade is the additional tokens and counters. The game now includes health tokens, tokens for the power effects (ex: + 1 to damage, etc), and the cards seem to be much nicer (this might only be because of the box issues with the first edition). Instead of having to track your hit points on paper or in your head, these counters really add to the entire package. This game has a lot of powers being added to damage and hit points being lost and without the counters it was a nightmare. These counters are very thick and nicely colored (and the font is fantastic with the theme!).

The cards are all top notch in quality. The art work is consistent throughout the game and a lot of care and love has been put into the art. The art (and cards) really make the characters pop and come alive. Each card has unique art and it really adds to the eye factor of the game.

This game really made a splash when it was released and continues to be one of the most beloved games currently on the market. It has a huge following. With the love the designers put into this game, it comes across in the game and it deserves the love it is getting.

Rule Book:

The rule book is really good, but that is a little bit of a cheat. The majority of the rules are on the cards. The powers and writing on the cards really dictate everything in the game. This can be confusing sometimes while playing and a good FAQ is needed. I'm not sure there is anything you can really do about it in a game like this. In different situations, each card is going to bring up a situation where you might have to make a game night decision. This is the nature of the beast of a game with this many cards.

The rule book is really cool as it sort of reads and looks like a comic book. The book does a good job of explaining the turn and when everything occurs. It also includes back stories on all the characters and a much needed chart that shows the difficulty of the villains and the complexity of the hero characters.

It is important to point out that some of the characters are more straight forward, while other heroes are much more subtle and you have to learn their importance.

While not perfect, the rule book does what it can with the type of game this is and the amount of cards in the game.

Flow of the Game:

I'll do my best to show you the flow of the game, but I won't be explaining every rule in the game. Hopefully, you will get a feeling how the game plays.

Each player chooses a hero and grabs the deck of cards for the hero. The players will choose a villain (who has a deck of cards) and an environment to play in (which has a deck of cards). Environment cards can help and hurt you depending on the in game circumstances.

Each player draws 4 cards from their deck.

1. Villain Turn.

A. Start of villain turn: any card effects that occur at start of the villain turn occurs now. A lot of the villain cards will have effects that occur here. It might be damage to the heroes, draw cards, or any other effect.

B. Draw a card from the villain deck: A villain card might be a minion (like a thug or lesser bad guy), an ongoing effect, or any number of bad things for the heroes.

C. End of villain turn: any card effects that occur at the end of the villain turn occurs now. There are villain cards that have effects at end of the villain turn and they would occur now.

2. Hero Turn. Each hero goes through this once.

A. Start of Hero turn: Any card effects that would occur now.

B. Hero can play one card: The card can be an ongoing effect, a one time use, or a card with a power on it, etc.

C. Hero can use a power: Some cards have powers (including the character card for each hero. This is normally an ability to see cards, draw cards, cause damage, heal, etc.

D. Draw card: Draw top card of heroes deck.

E. End of Hero turn: Any card effects that would occur now.

3. Environment turn. Keep in mind, these cards could hurt or help you.

A. Start of Environment turn: Any cards that would take effect now.

B. Reveal top card of environment deck: Follow directions on the card.

C. End of Environment turn: Any card effects that would occur now.

This is an example of the entire turn. There is going to be a lot going on in every single time marker. It is important to follow this exactly as you will want to time your damage to kill something before it attacks. For example, if an environment card is revealed that attacks at the start of the turn, it won't hurt you for an entire turn (start of environment is before you reveal the card). So, you might want to work on destroying it before it can hit you. If it attacked at end of the environment turn, it would hit you right after it was revealed. This is just one example of how it might work.

Choosing who you attack and who takes damage are very important decisions. There are a lot of decisions to make and the group and can discuss these before implementing a plan but each hero makes their own decision. Some heroes take some time to gear up to be powerful (ex: Absolute Zero).

There is a lot going on in this game so you need to take your time and go through everything in its turn. Do not rush while playing. Think your moves through and try to max damage to the villain and minimize damage to your heroes.

Should I buy this game?:

Yes! If you like super hero games and want to play as one single super hero and not as a team, if you don't mind a new set of super heroes, and like to have fun, then this is the game for you. If you like to play games solo, then this is a perfect game for you. The game skews pretty well for the different number of players.

This is a top notch game from top to bottom. With the amount of variety in the box, you should have a lot of re-playability. There is a lot of fun in playing with different combinations and seeing who plays well together and how they play against certain villains. Some heroes don't match up well together and/or match up well against certain villains. The game is really fun in this way.

If you are gaming on a budget and don't get to play a lot of different games, this is a game that can stretch that budget and get you a great game that you can play a lot. You can't say that about a lot of games. I've enjoyed learning this universe and the new expansions that have come out.

Highly recommend this keeper.

*edited to change 5 cards to 4 at start of game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
Do the right thing. It's usually obvious.
badge
I has a stick! A tiny green stick!
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice review of one of my favorite games, but each hero player starts with four cards, not five.

Thanks for taking the time to put this together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dougan
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
For those who would like to see get an in-practice feel for how the game plays, there are now about a dozen PBF games here at the Geek -- go check one out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Thurston
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe the card stock was indeed upgraded for the Enhanced Edition. All expansions have the better card stock.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Rutyna
United States
Plymouth
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just played this weekend and the game fell flat for me. Big problem I had is that I feel no connection with these heroes or villains at all. The villain cards that come out in the center of the table (along with the bystanders) and their effects are a pain to keep track of (don't have a token for everything i.e. if you have a supply card in play X happens). Rather play Legendary, heroes I know, straightforward and FUN! Why do we need another set of super heroes that we are NOT familiar with???
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Radulla wrote:
Nice review of one of my favorite games, but each hero player starts with four cards, not five.

Thanks for taking the time to put this together.

Fixed. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Neo_1 wrote:
Just played this weekend and the game fell flat for me. Big problem I had is that I feel no connection with these heroes or villains at all. The villain cards that come out in the center of the table (along with the bystanders) and their effects are a pain to keep track of (don't have a token for everything i.e. if you have a supply card in play X happens). Rather play Legendary, heroes I know, straightforward and FUN! Why do we need another set of super heroes that we are NOT familiar with???

I felt the same way at first. More and more plays leads you to know the universe.

I don't disagree. I love Legendary. They play very differently and I have room for both.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Neo_1 wrote:

Well, some folks don't like Marvel's heroes(Wolverine needs to just stop). Others want to feel the cohesion of playing a hero, not just a card with a hero's name on it. I own and play both these games, but while Legendary is a fun light deck-builder, Stefan Feld himself couldn't paste a theme on any thinner.

If I am craving hero-action I'll not play wolverine to draw a card to play spiderman to look at the top of my deck and play another spiderman because it's cheap enough to then play a shield agent to get more buy points and maybe buy another wolverine to draw more cards later in Legendary, I'll play Tachyon and fire off hit after hit as I burn through my deck like the speed-demon she is

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moose Detective
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
Than Sense
badge
Is it a moose that became a detective ? Or a detective who searches for moose?
mbmbmbmbmb
Neo_1 wrote:

Did you read the flavor text and in-character quotes? It REALLY adds to the experience.

Fanatic has become one of my favorite comic book characters and I've never read a comic book with her in it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dougan
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
stevelabny wrote:
Neo_1 wrote:

Did you read the flavor text and in-character quotes? It REALLY adds to the experience.

Fanatic has become one of my favorite comic book characters and I've never read a comic book with her in it.

This point, I think, is the real genius of the guys at >G. They've created a fake comic-book universe that makes me want to read the comics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadrach wrote:
Neo_1 wrote:

Well, some folks don't like Marvel's heroes(Wolverine needs to just stop). Others want to feel the cohesion of playing a hero, not just a card with a hero's name on it. I own and play both these games, but while Legendary is a fun light deck-builder, Stefan Feld himself couldn't paste a theme on any thinner.

If I am craving hero-action I'll not play wolverine to draw a card to play spiderman to look at the top of my deck and play another spiderman because it's cheap enough to then play a shield agent to get more buy points and maybe buy another wolverine to draw more cards later in Legendary, I'll play Tachyon and fire off hit after hit as I burn through my deck like the speed-demon she is

I don't agree 100%. If you said DC comics I would agree with you. The schemes really make me feel like I am playing a super hero game. Saving bystanders and fighting villains after villains.

I do agree with you on this game though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Argama Flight Crew
badge
INFERNO BLADE!
mbmbmbmbmb
Neo_1 wrote:

Because these heroes are all awesome. It's surprising how well the illustrations and quotes build up the characters and the narrative.

I'm a comic fan and I have more fun playing this than either of the new deck building games from Marvel and DC (though admittedly they are very different games). The connection to theme in this game is so strong that it really does feel like you are playing through a comic book story. Haka feels like I'm playing the Hulk. Tachyon feels like I'm playing the Flash. The other games just don't achieve this in my opinion. They are fun games, but don't have that gameplay I'm looking for in a superhero game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd McCorkle
United States
Anderson
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Neo_1 wrote:
Why do we need another set of super heroes that we are NOT familiar with???

Licensing and trademark laws. Getting Marvel and DC comics to agree to use the names and likenesses of their characters would mean the game costs 3 times as much and it would probably sit in legal limbo.

Just a guess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Smith
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
Neo_1 wrote:

Because then, all games would use the same licenses.

What's the point of only being exposed to things we're already familiar with?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Smith
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
You can't possibly be familiar with everything from every board game. Otherwise no one would ever play a board game without a known license. I honestly don't see how not knowing the heroes makes the game play worse.

You had to watch/read the x-men for the first time at some point. Besides, if every hero game featured them, You'd be sick of it pretty quickly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.