Kennedy Gerber
United States
West Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alright, I like many others, have made a custom copy of this great game so my friends and I can enjoy it but I had a couple questions we had been entertaining and was wondering if anyone had any feedback (I don't have a copy of the rules / book in front of me right now so I premptively appologise for spelling mistakes):

1. In general, the Guild seems pretty powerful; they get a ton of money from shipping and have quite a bit to offer a prospective ally (the fact that an ally can effectively ship for free since the guild player can just give the money back to the player). Granted, the Emperor can act similarly with treachery cards, but I rarely see the ammount spent on treachery cards in a single turn equal the ammount spent on shipping. So maybe I'm missing something but this, coupled with the Guild's ability to move whenever he wishes durring the move phase and his ability to defaultly win at the end of the game if no other can pretty much makes him the most powerful player in the game - unless we're missing something... thoughts anyone? I had originally thought it might be more balanced if allies still paid half for shipping (like the guild) but that money went to the spice bank rather than the guild player, but the original rules clearly state that that isn't the case.

2. Also, so far as alliances go, really all the emperor has to offer is free treachery cards. Since paying for each other's shippments and treachery cards is covered under general alliance abilities, what's the point of including those under the emperor's list of ablities on his shield? It says he can also give spice to use for the revival of tokens but can't anyone? The way we interpreted the rules, anyone can freely give money to anyone else (under the bribery rules) so how is this a special ability?

I guess that's it, if anyone has any ideas / different interpritations, I'd be glad to hear 'em. Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kennedy Gerber
United States
West Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ha, sorry I just discovered that my second question had already been discussed a bit in another post, sorry for my redundancy .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Newman
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yeah, the alliance rules as written are a bit broken. We play that only the Emperor can hand his allies Spice, and it can be for any reason. No other members of alliances can trade Spice or anything else that isn't explicitly listed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kennedy Gerber
United States
West Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for replying. I guess part of the trouble I'm running into is that I haven't had a chance to play with 6 people yet, only 5 once and 4 twice so far. I figure most of the things that seem unbalanced now would probably balance out with a full compliment of players (atleast I hope so).

I guess we have to figure out what would be best for the game so far as sharing money is concerned (my players tend to argue realism as opposed to mechanics so who knows if we'll get anywhere on not).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Freedman
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All factions can trade spice with whomever at any time. The Emperor's special ability is indeed meaningless. The emperor's shield should read "Special Abilities: None"

The Guild is strong when played w/optional rules allowing them to move at any time...as it allows them to avoid battles. But the Emperor has access to Sardakar troops and better leaders. Pretty good balance.

They both are wildly rich, the Emperor moreso IMO. The treachery card profits generally seems to be larger and more steady than shipping income...plus the Fremen don't have to pay to ship (or the Bene Gesserit spiritual advisors).

So the Guild collects shipping $$$ from the Emperor, Atreides, and Harkonnens. Since the Guild has to pay to ship themselves, they are effectively only benefiting from 2 factions shipping...assuming the above 3 families ship into a stronghold (half price) and the "non-combative Guild" ships into non-stronghold. Further, if they ally with either of the remaining factions (who will now ship for free), they are denied more income. And once enough troops are on-planet or in the tanks, the income starts to tail off. I've seen a Guild player not have enough money to do everything he wanted, but never the Emperor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Baptiste Ménard
France
flag msg tools
I posted something here about all this :
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/5070321#5070321

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.