United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
...I paid 100 GeekGold for THIS?
mbmbmb
Phil Fleischmann wrote:
ACE Very clever. Maybe too clever. I think this will result in no fun for the Ace player, or the other players. He can never be invited as an offensive ally, and if the other players are smart, they should never invite him on defense, either. It's basically one player playing a solitaire game, while the rest play Cosmic Encounter.

Yeah, the concept really appeals to me, but I imagine it playing out similarly. Ace would simply be shut out of ally invitations and have a hard time getting the multiple (kickers/high encounter cards/etc) he'd need to both secure a colony and defend it. The concept has potential though
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Brewer
United States
Monticello
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Phil wrote:
HOST OK. Sort of like Cyborg, but with flares only. Sort of like Aristocrat. Not too bad, but I'd recommend using Aristocrat instead. C

I would argue that Host and Aristocrat offer completely different experiences. Just because they both use flares doesn't necessarily mean they are anything alike. With the Aristocrat you may draw flares that you never use so why have them. With Host if you don't get good flares they go away and if they are good and you use them they might come back to haunt you.

Part of the uniqueness is that there is a real card management aspect as the player tries to make the most of the three flares on his sheet. With Host it will be possible, unlike any other alien I have seen, to adapt your strategy to the other aliens in the game. If the Host feels the need to be defensive they can gather and hoard defensive flares, if they need an offensive boost because there are powers that are all defense then they can adjust, or if they think the game is going to put a serious emphasis on ships or cards they can look for flares that give or cost ships or cards. The Host can adjust their approach for games that are compensation and reward heavy or ally heavy as well. The alien really offers the player some choices.

And unlike Cyborg, the Host won't necessarily be crippled by a set of crap cards.

The Host is like a Euro game - it offers many different paths to victory. Unless you hate Euro games and then the Host is like an Ameritrash game - it offers lots of action and cool tricks. Unless you hate both and then it is like an abstract game - it offers....uh.....I got nothin'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just a Bill
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No, I said "oh, brother," not "go hover."
mbmbmbmbmb
Phil Fleischmann wrote:
EXTRACTOR ... D+
MUCKRAKER ... D+

There are revisions for both of these within this thread.

Phil Fleischmann wrote:
KLUTZ ... What if there are no ships on adjacent planets?

Then you don't knock one off (as with any other game effect that tells you to do something that isn't possible).

Phil Fleischmann wrote:
What if only your own ships are on adjacent planets? Must you knock off one of your own ships?

Yes, but it doesn't have to happen as often as you might think. You bump only when you are returning two or more ships to the same home planet, so it's not often that you are forced to nail your own ships. It can happen, of course, if you return more ships from the warp than you have colonies to send them to, and you don't have enough colonies that are adjacent to planets populated by opponents to absorb the more-than-one returns. It is a risk, but relatively minor compared to the ability to selectively nuke others' foreign colonies.

Both of Klutz's effects are intentionally designed to occasionally harm the Klutz himself. I see that as a counterbalance to the double benefit of hand cleansing and colony-killing, as well as thematically mandatory (if he only ever harmed everyone else, then he would only be a pretend-klutz.)

Phil Fleischmann wrote:
The Wild isn't useful to the one who plays it.

That depends upon the situation. Half of it is vaguely Aura-esque, and the other half lets you deprive somebody of one of their rewards. But it is one of those flares that may appeal more to an entertainment-focused player than a strategy-focused one.

Phil Fleischmann wrote:
Why would you ever use the Super as an offensive ally?

Maybe you would, maybe you wouldn't. As an ally, you give the opponent the option to choose whether some of his allies don't actually get the colony. The trick, of course, is to make sure at least one of your own ships lands on the gate, but I don't think that's overly difficult. But really, this is mainly an offense effect that just includes the offensive ally "for free" because it can; it doesn't have to be consistently useful in that role.

Probably this is a more or less once-per-game thing that cheats somebody out of a colony as a surprise. It could be fairly dramatic on the final encounter of the game.

(And yes, it is a bit of a dexterity effect. Not everyone has to like that. I've never liked Schizoid or Trader, but others love them, so I try to make myself at peace with them because they add value for a segment of the player base. Super Klutz's dexterity element may be a similar opportunity to tolerate something for the sake of a different group.)

Phil Fleischmann wrote:
And as the offense, wouldn't you just drop your ships directly on the table? Thus you can save all of them from the warp if you lose, or keep them all in the encounter if you would win.

Maybe sometimes I would (and it does have value in that mode), but other times I might try to knock out as many allies as I can, so that I only have to give colonies to the minimum number needed to win the encounter. Naturally this has social consequences that have to be weighed, just like any other backstab effect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
↓ first, last name ↓
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
Why is there no Word Games Forum or Subdomain?
badge
There should be a Word Games Subdomain, or at least a Word Games Forum!
mbmbmbmbmb
DrBrewhaha wrote:
Phil wrote:
HOST OK. Sort of like Cyborg, but with flares only. Sort of like Aristocrat. Not too bad, but I'd recommend using Aristocrat instead. C

I would argue that Host and Aristocrat offer completely different experiences. Just because they both use flares doesn't necessarily mean they are anything alike. With the Aristocrat you may draw flares that you never use so why have them. With Host if you don't get good flares they go away and if they are good and you use them they might come back to haunt you.

Uh, those things are all true of the Aristocrat as well. Both Aristocrat and Host might draw flares that they never use. And both can discard and replace them, hoping to get better ones. And both can have those flares come back to haunt them.

The only difference is that Host gets to look at three of those flares at a time, and Aristocrat gets to chose his starting hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
↓ first, last name ↓
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bill Martinson wrote:
Phil Fleischmann wrote:
EXTRACTOR ... D+
MUCKRAKER ... D+

There are revisions for both of these within this thread.

Unless I'm missing something, the only thing that changed on Extractor was the Super Flare, which is now useful. But the power is still the same. I suppose if Masochist is in the game, he'll gladly pay his ships for you, but other than that, the power still gets a D+.

The revised Muckraker is better. But I don't know what you mean by this line:

"If you are an ally and your side won, the main player on your side may protect any or all allies from your power."

How? Does this mean the main player can simply declare the allies protected, or does this mean he can bribe you on their behalf? This version might get a C+, but still seems way too annoying. No main player who wants allies on his side other than you will invite you. And once you've committed as an ally, other players will be less likely to do so. Which means players that must declare before you are at a disadvantage relative to players that declare after you. Also, you're less likely to get allies yourself.

Quote:
Phil Fleischmann wrote:
Why would you ever use the Super as an offensive ally?

Maybe you would, maybe you wouldn't. As an ally, you give the opponent the option to choose whether some of his allies don't actually get the colony.

Ah. I missed that other players' ships could be knocked off, and therefore sent home, by dropping your ships. I thought it applied only to your own ships.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just a Bill
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Phil Fleischmann wrote:
Unless I'm missing something, the only thing that changed on Extractor was the Super Flare, which is now useful.

The base power was revised to include the old Super, thus increasing the number of times it can be used in the hands of a skilled salesman.

Phil Fleischmann wrote:
I suppose if Masochist is in the game, he'll gladly pay his ships for you, but other than that, the power still gets a D+.

Extractor probably won't let Masochist pay very often. If you think nobody else besides Masochist will help, then perhaps you're not a skilled salesman.

Phil Fleischmann wrote:
The revised Muckraker is better. But I don't know what you mean by this line:

"If you are an ally and your side won, the main player on your side may protect any or all allies from your power."

Does this mean the main player can simply declare the allies protected

Correct.

Phil Fleischmann wrote:
No main player who wants allies on his side other than you will invite you. And once you've committed as an ally, other players will be less likely to do so. Which means players that must declare before you are at a disadvantage relative to players that declare after you.

All of that might have been true if the protection clause were not there, but your main player has full authority to protect his allies at no cost.

Phil Fleischmann wrote:
Also, you're less likely to get allies yourself.

That all depends upon how you play the power, your character and reputation, and your local meta. Even to the extent your objection is true, the opposing main player is even less likely to get allies.

But forget all these analyses ... in PBF 30 I'm about to put my money where my mouth is since I am playing as Muckraker.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Brewer
United States
Monticello
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Phil Fleischmann wrote:
DrBrewhaha wrote:
Phil wrote:

Uh, those things are all true of the Aristocrat as well. Both Aristocrat and Host might draw flares that they never use. And both can discard and replace them, hoping to get better ones. And both can have those flares come back to haunt them.

The only difference is that Host gets to look at three of those flares at a time, and Aristocrat gets to chose his starting hand.

I think there are two other huge differences: 1) the Aristocrat only gets to draw his single flare as a main player (so at most 2N+3 times where N is the number rounds in the game so he works through at most 2N+3 flares) while Host draws 3 every turn (so at most 2N*P draws where N is the number of players thus working through 6NP flares - man I feel like Bill with all the math equations) making him much more flexible in building a strategy around the flares and 2) the Host can play multiple flares per turn again supporting a strategy built around the flares.

None of this is to say that Aristocrat shouldn't be published and that Host should supercede it. I would love to have Aristocrat since it has a long track record and is popular. I think I would like to use it's deck-building aspect. I just see them as significantly different. Hopefully playtesting will shed more light on it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
↓ first, last name ↓
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bill Martinson wrote:
Phil Fleischmann wrote:
Unless I'm missing something, the only thing that changed on Extractor was the Super Flare, which is now useful.

The base power was revised to include the old Super, thus increasing the number of times it can be used in the hands of a skilled salesman.

Phil Fleischmann wrote:
I suppose if Masochist is in the game, he'll gladly pay his ships for you, but other than that, the power still gets a D+.

Extractor probably won't let Masochist pay very often. If you think nobody else besides Masochist will help, then perhaps you're not a skilled salesman.

No. I think it's because I'm not a brain-dead customer. I can't imagine any reason why I'd remove my ships from the game to let someone else gain a card of his choosing. You're welcome to try out your sales pitch on me, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barney Bustoffson
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just finished up playing a game with the following powers: Ace, Bride, Daredevil, Engineer, and Extractor. I was Ace, and I won the game. I should have been taking a lot of notes, but here's as much as I can recall.

I did not get invited on offense ever. No surprise there. I got invited to defense, but less than half of the time. I was a little lonely, but I did win afterall, so I can't complain a lot. In the turn order, I went third, and I did get one external base, but lost the second encounter. I was able to fend attacks off, and having to defend that base was interesting and nerve-wracking.

Bride was married to Daredevil for most of the game. He (and it's weird typing he right here, but also kinda funny) gave Daredevil a lot of low attack cards to use for his power. Bride and Daredevil almost won the game. Stan enjoyed playing Bride. Nobody had a problem with the theme. We think there should be more obviously female powers in the game. Fury, but who else?? I can see someone playing Bride and really trying to cozy up for a shared win, or at least using the spouse to get close to 5 bases before divorcing. So thematic it hurts.

Daredevil was pretty interesting. Jon got players to ally with him, but also bringing along four ships. Those guys were really greedy for cards. Daredevil was really able to pound opponents. You can win pretty big without even using the power. He did use it every time, but in some cases I would probably just win without trying to cut it close. I don't know if that's a weakness of the power, but it did get the allies on his side, which is important (their numbers in ships and their reinforcement cards on Daredevils side and not on the opponent's side). I wonder if there should be a part of the power that lets allies also discard low attack cards to help cut it close. Does it make Daredevil less like its namesake?

Engineer had a lose to win strategy. He threw his first defensive challenge (against me) to get ships in the Warp and a Tech on his sheet. He ended up with Infinity Drive, which cost 6 ships. It lets you have a Timegash (free encounter). He had his turn and took a ship out of the warp, making it take longer to activate that tech (and won that encounter). He lost the second one, which let him send ships to the Warp, but he also had to discard that tech, and he got Plasma Thrusters instead. That was was activated right away. It lets you launch 5 ships in the Gate, which was not a great one for him to have after his turn was over. He lost on defense later on and drew the Genesis planet. That was added to his system right away, and he didn't get another tech in the game. So techs didn't help him out and he only had like three bases by the end of the game. I like this power still, and maybe it just needs either some different way to research, or additional way. Or maybe we should play it again to see.

Extractor. That was also interesting to observe. Phil did okay in the game, largely by allying with Daredevil. He extracted four times, which lost him seven ships (he got everyone else to pitch in a ship on his last extraction). He also lost some encounters on defense and was hurting for ships by the end. He extracted from the Reward deck and took a Cosmic Zap, which he used on me. I would have won the game on my second turn. The second time, I think he was looking in the deck for the 40 (which was in my hand but he never looked there). The third time was in the deck again, and I think he took a flare, but I don't recall what it was. The last time was again to stop me, and he got another Cosmic Zap (but I had a card zap). He could have extracted yet again, and probably could have gotten everyone (except Engineer) to chip in ships again, to look for another Cosmic Zap, but it was getting late and everyone just let me win at that point. Extractor is pretty powerful.

The verdict from the players was

Ace (B-) : It was a power that everyone was thinking about and worrying about. It was really rough having to go another round after getting zapped, but if I hadn't, it would have been a relatively short game. I am not sure I would pick it again, but that doesn't mean it isn't an interesting power. The others said they would definitely play it once and see how they could do.

Bride (A) : Getting the freedom to plan things out and help each other out appealed to the married couple. Some marriages would clearly not work out, but it was interesting to watch, and the guy being the Bride liked it a lot.

Daredevil (A-) : Ally magnet. It makes its allies too powerful, but then again it can just give a verbal thanks for the help and not give anyone any cards.

Engineer (B-) : It's a cool idea. It's luck of the draw though. You could get some really helpful techs, or just get hosed. I guess that's Cosmic for ya.

Extractor (A) : Solid alien. Red alert!! If you know just the card, you can probably find it (and if not, get something good). 30 seconds was a good time frame. We counted out loud while he frantically skimmed the cards. It definitely made my power sweat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Brewer
United States
Monticello
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great report, Barney. You painted a good picture of the how the aliens really worked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Reda
United States
Herndon
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Guess the games in my uberbadge!
badge
My favorite game is Cosmic Encounter.
mbmbmbmbmb
I was wondering about whether or not Ace needed to have the clause about being targeted anywhere when his destiny color came up. I liked the idea of an alien that really encouraged players to use their own destiny draw to attack a player in their own system (something that I think players rarely do). How often did players draw Ace's color and use that draw to attack their own system?

I was thinking that since Ace is never going to get offensive allies, and will likely face everyone else whenever he is on offense, maybe his power works only if he occupies a foreign colony alone. He'd be alone anyway, but at least this way, he could (albeit very rarely) get invited as an offensive ally. His co-occupied planets don't give him an auto-win, and now he can also win via the normal method.

---

I know a lot of people who will like Bride. These are folks that love to find ways of getting into deal situations, and this certainly makes it easier to happen. I also love that Bride can just ditch her spouse at any time and go for the solo win.

---

That's interesting feedback on Daredevil. It will often get a snowball effect. When someone allies with his side (especially with a lot of ships), the other players will probably jump on the bandwagon. That alone is pretty impactful.

---

Maybe Engineer simply needs a "Draw two cards from the technology deck (whether it is in use or not), and choose one to place on this alien sheet, discarding the other. You do get to choose from two techs at the start of a game using them. This will give Engineer a little more flexibility.

---

Wow. Extractor is a menace. Nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barney Bustoffson
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Warp wrote:
I was wondering about whether or not Ace needed to have the clause about being targeted anywhere when his destiny color came up. I liked the idea of an alien that really encouraged players to use their own destiny draw to attack a player in their own system (something that I think players rarely do). How often did players draw Ace's color and use that draw to attack their own system?

I got targeted twice in the game and won both times (on my external base). There was at least one other time that someone could have attacked me but didn't. I had four ships on the external base, and fewer ships at home, so those targets there were maybe more attractive. I did lose at home once.

The Warp wrote:
I was thinking that since Ace is never going to get offensive allies, and will likely face everyone else whenever he is on offense, maybe his power works only if he occupies a foreign colony alone. He'd be alone anyway, but at least this way, he could (albeit very rarely) get invited as an offensive ally. His co-occupied planets don't give him an auto-win, and now he can also win via the normal method.

I don't see any reason to not do it this way. It's easy enough to word. I don't know if I would have gotten any alliance invitations, but it could help in a deal situation. No one would have traded bases with me for sure.

The Warp wrote:
Maybe Engineer simply needs a "Draw two cards from the technology deck (whether it is in use or not), and choose one to place on this alien sheet, discarding the other. You do get to choose from two techs at the start of a game using them. This will give Engineer a little more flexibility.

I like that better.

The Warp wrote:

It was scary, but I like having some pantscrapingly good powers in there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just a Bill
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bustoffson wrote:
The Warp wrote:
maybe [Ace] works only if he occupies a foreign colony alone.
I don't see any reason to not do it this way.

One reason to maybe not do it is that it kills the thematic elegance. The whole concept of the power is a "wins with one colony" punch between the eyes. "Wins with one colony but it might take two colonies because the other one coexists" loses the elegance. Darth Thulhu's whole reason for creating this in the first place was that very pithiness and elegance, so I wouldn't want to throw it out if it's not necessary.

Bustoffson wrote:
The Warp wrote:
Maybe Engineer simply needs a "Draw two cards ... and choose one
I like that better.

Agreed.

Bustoffson wrote:
The Warp wrote:
It was scary, but I like having some pantscrapingly good powers in there.

Agreed again. I've thought all along that Extractor was going to be stronger than it looks on first glance, and Bosco is intent upon proving just that in PBF 30.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My two Cosmic tokens, in no particular order. I haven't read any of the other comments in this thread yet, so my apologies for redundant redundancies.

On colors: For a fifth expansion, we shouldn't worry at all about having enough green aliens. They could all be red and yellow, and it'd be fine.

ACE: I like it. That's different. I don't like Supers that get discarded, though. Have you tried making the Super "use your power to win at any time, instead of just as the start of your turn?"

ANGLER: Long-time favorite of mine.

BRIDE: Very good. Love the Flares.

DAREDEVIL: Hm. Since Reinforcements can be played on either side...this is interesting, but I'd need to play it to know if I'd like it.

ENGINEER: Interesting way to have an alien invoke a variant without using the variant. Not sure why the Wild has to be one-shot, though.

EXTRACTOR: I dislike having to remember what cards this one has already extracted, and remembering what the current cost of extraction is. Tune it so that extracted cards are also removed from the game (placed on sheet, perhaps), and it might feel less fiddly to me.

GRIFTER: A lot like Trickster, in the end, but an interesting twist. I'd hate to play against it.

HOST: Cool.

KLUTZ: I still like it.

MUCKRAKER: This amuses me greatly. Very creative.

VANGUARD: This confuses me -- so there's an pre-encounter encounter? Wacky, and maybe not in a good way.

WHIRLIGIG: After Trader and Dervish, I'm not sure how much room there is for another hand-swapping type power. This is a little different, at least.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just a Bill
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kobold Curry Chef wrote:
EXTRACTOR: I dislike having to remember what cards this one has already extracted, and remembering what the current cost of extraction is. Tune it so that extracted cards are also removed from the game (placed on sheet, perhaps), and it might feel less fiddly to me.

There's no need to remember the current cost, since the ships you've already removed from the game are tracking that for you. I figure most people will leave them in little stacks of 1, 2, 3....

I like the idea of stacking the cards on the sheet in principle, but it has two downsides: (1) it would have to make every flare a one-shot, and (2) it would deprive Filch, Vulch, etc. of the joy of stealing these cards, not to mention eliminating them from the compensation pool.

It seems easier to remember that I pulled the Attack 40, a Cosmic Zap, and the Human flare than it is to track the current locations of cards I've pulled but were stolen from me before I could play them, so that when they are eventually played we can put them on my sheet. And if we're tracking a Card Zap or Attack 20, how do we know when the "right one" was played?

EDIT: But here's a thought. I was about to say that the other players will be all too happy to help you remember what your card restrictions are, but they don't know what you're taking when you take it. Perhaps for this reason, and also if Bosco turns out to be right that the power is too strong, the Extractor should have to reveal which card he takes? Just a thought to hang onto pending some playtest results.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barney Bustoffson
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While we're debating power names, can we talk about Extractor? I can get behind its power to extract, but I think the name Extractor is not inspired.

It's not only extracting, but it's also searching through the deck (or a hand or wherever). It's hunting. Thinking of Search and Hunt opens up a lot of possibilities. The card it gets is the prize.

goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bosco cosmic
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bill Martinson wrote:

EDIT: But here's a thought. I was about to say that the other players will be all too happy to help you remember what your card restrictions are, but they don't know what you're taking when you take it. Perhaps for this reason, and also if Bosco turns out to be right that the power is too strong, the Extractor should have to reveal which card he takes? Just a thought to hang onto pending some playtest results.

This can actually solve another problem I had with this power. The "30 seconds" rule.

To me personally it's not an issue, I've tested it with the deck and the unused flare deck, and found that I could get to any card I want within 30 seconds. Came very close at times, but always within the limit. However, I've been handling cards (both in games and in magic tricks) for years, so it's safe to assume that a less sleight-of-handy player will have trouble with this. And that's what I don't like.

I don't like the idea of anything in CE that involves physical skills. The game should be based solely on thinking and talking. (The one minute deal rule is also just thinking and talking).
Having a power that is based on how fast a player can work with his hands, is like having a power that says "You and your opponent must arm wrestle to determine the winner". Maybe I'm exaggerating a bit, but you get my point.

Now, I understand the intent behind the 30 second rule, as we can't have the player reading through the whole unused flare deck for an hour, but this is easily solved if we change the concept just a bit:

You have the power to Extract. You may use this power to target one of the following areas: the cosmic deck, reward deck (if in play), or unused flare deck; one of those decks' discard piles; or one player's hand. Destroy one or more of your ships (chosen from anywhere in play) by removing them from the game. Then name a card. Look through the cards in the targeted area for up to 30 seconds, and if you find that card, take it and add it to your hand... etc.

Now, I know this would change some of the interactions, you won't be able to target a player's hand and just take the best card he has there, but let's face it - That's not how you're going to use that power anyway. The most targeted stuff will be in the decks (flares, kickers, zaps, etc.), and you will know what you're going for. If you're removing ships from the game you're not going to just target some player to see what he has, you probably know what he has and want it.

I believe this change will keep the basic essence of power the original Extractor has, while eliminating the 30 second rule, helping reduce his strength by having the other players know what he took, and solving (at least partially) the "remember the cards" issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bustoffson wrote:
While we're debating power names, can we talk about Extractor? I can get behind its power to extract, but I think the name Extractor is not inspired.

It's not only extracting, but it's also searching through the deck (or a hand or wherever). It's hunting. Thinking of Search and Hunt opens up a lot of possibilities. The card it gets is the prize.

goo

Excavator? Treasure Hunter? Archeologist?

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Brewer
United States
Monticello
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Boscosmic wrote:
and in magic tricks) for years

First of all, this explains everything!

As for your take on Extractor:

1. Just eliminate the 30 second time limit - it's hokey and hard to enforce. The other players will "encourage" Extractor to hurry.

2. I don't think I like the "name the card first and then take it approach". Why not just show the card to the other players after you have found it? Naming a card can be tricky for new players who aren't really sure.

3. All that being said, with the exception of the 30 second time limit I could also be happy with the Extractor as is. Bosco is about to unveil it's fury in PBF 30 so we shall see if he has a "game-breaking" combo that he has paid 6 ships for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just a Bill
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ooh, some good developments here...

Bustoffson wrote:
It's not only extracting, but it's also searching through the deck (or a hand or wherever). It's hunting. Thinking of Search and Hunt opens up a lot of possibilities. The card it gets is the prize
shnar wrote:
Excavator? Treasure Hunter? Archeologist?

I'm liking Hunter and Archaeologist. Archaeologist (power to Plunder?) seems to work with the variety of places the power steals from; sometimes Indiana Jones raids a tomb, sometimes he breaks into a museum or storehouse, and sometimes he steals things directly from Belloq. And he's pretty much always looking for something specific, which leads right into Bosco's suggestion:

boscosmic wrote:
I understand the intent behind the 30 second rule ... but this is easily solved if we change the concept just a bit:
Then name a card. Look through the cards in the targeted area for up to 30 seconds, and if you find that card, take it and add it to your hand... etc.

I love it. And as you say, it also solves the "remember the cards" issue. If Archaeologist says "I'm going digging in the deck for a Card Zap" but he has already used his power to grab a Card Zap, surely at least one other player at the table will have remembered that. Problem solved, and elegantly so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Brewer
United States
Monticello
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
But I thought that Explorer was the Indiana Jones of this set?

I could dig Archaeologist although it doesn't have a super Cosmic vibe.

I just don't like the name the card mechanic because I may not always remember what it is called.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just a Bill
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DrBrewhaha wrote:
But I thought that Explorer was the Indiana Jones of this set?

No, it's the Jean-Luc Picard.

DrBrewhaha wrote:
I just don't like the name the card mechanic because I may not always remember what it is called.

I don't think you have to get the name precisely right. Saying you want "that artifact that cancels deals" would be good enough for most players, probably (it would for us).

In any case, there's already a pretty strong precedent for this: Finder, Gambler, Wild Siren, Sniveler, Visionary, and Wild Visionary all have us naming specific cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Reda
United States
Herndon
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Frankly, I am all right with the 30 second rule. I don't consider it a dexterity issue. If someone seriously has trouble sorting through a deck of cards, maybe Extractor is not a good choice of alien. And yes, there will be those rare times you have no choice about your alien, but come on. Sometimes Indianan Jones is just digging, and doesn't know what he'll find.

Hunter, power of trophies works pretty well too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bosco cosmic
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Warp wrote:
Sometimes Indianan Jones is just digging, and doesn't know what he'll find.

He won't go "just" digging without a very good sense of what he's going to find, if going digging means removing his left arm and right eye from the game. I mean from his body. Or something. Kinda lost on the metaphor here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Reda
United States
Herndon
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
boscosmic wrote:
The Warp wrote:
Sometimes Indianan Jones is just digging, and doesn't know what he'll find.

He won't go "just" digging without a very good sense of what he's going to find, if going digging means removing his left arm and right eye from the game. I mean from his body. Or something. Kinda lost on the metaphor here.

Well, I like Hunter better than Archeologist anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.