Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is for the 2013 Solo PnP Contest entry - Contest Ready!!

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1002891/2013-solitaire-print...
Zombie Solitaire

Mockup cards are ready to print and play for play testing.

Zombie Solitaire is like regular Klondike solitaire with one big difference: you get to destroy Zombies!!!

Components:
Zombie Solitaire requires [1] decks of regular playing cards (including a “joker”) and [4] six-sided dice (“D6”). You also need either another deck, poker chips, coins, or anything that can represent [10] Zombies!!!:

• [1] 52 card deck for basic game play.
• [1] Joker, which represents you!
• [1] second deck, from which only 10 cards are needed. These cards represent zombies that must be destroyed during the game to protect the survivors.
• [4] six-sided dice, representing a supply of ammunition for your gun

Zombie Solitaire can be played using regular playing cards or a specialized “Zombie deck”. When using a regular deck, the cards represent the following:
• Ace: a Safe House
• King: Grandpa – the only character willing to sacrifice himself for his family
• Queen: Grandma
• Jack: Dad
• 10: Mom
• 2 thru 9: the children and their friends
• Joker: You, the armed and dangerous hero
• Card from the second deck (logo side only): zombie
• D6 die: ammo box (6 rounds inside)

The Rule document should be posted soon but until then the write up of the rules are on the main page: Zombie Solitaire
http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/94087/rules-for-zombie-sol...

The Mockup of the cards can be found here:
http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/94050/zombie-solitaire-pla...

The game is ready to play and has already been well play tested.

Download the cards, grab 4 D6 dice, and have a zombie blast!

As always, if you find game mechanic issues, issues with the rules, or just any problems with the game in general please let me know!!1

Thanks for looking and have fun.

Joe P.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Mestdagh
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After reading the rules, I get the impression that you have to really like zombies and really like Klondike to get into this game. That doesn't bode well for me, I am afraid.

Maybe pusherman42 will like this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
If given the option, I would prefer to play with the green pieces, please.
badge
I have two new 9 Card Games: 300 Spartans and Franky's 1st Christmas
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Joseph,
Could you redo the cards to print on A4/Letter size paper. Not everyone has access to an 11x17 format printer. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You got it!!!
New sheets are on the way to the file section as we speak. The new sheets are LETTER size [7] in total and are double sided PDF 8.5x11 color for easy printing.

All card are available now!!!

Thanks Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kingspud wrote:

Zombie Solitaire is like regular Klondike solitaire with one big difference: you get to destroy Zombies!!!

I had a go at this, and I came to exactly the same conclusion.

I did use a regular deck of cards, so maybe the flavour helps, but it seems to me that it's just Klondike, but with an extra failure condition: you may not draw aces fast enough to get the bullets you need to destroy the zombies you need to clear in order to continue the game and get more aces.

Unfortunately, given that I'm already not a fan of Klondike because sometimes it just can't be won from the get-go through no fault of the player's, and you only find that out after you've already been playing for some time, "being like Klondike" isn't something I look for in a solitaire card game.

One suggestion, though - rather than using cards from a second deck for your zombies, it's actually easier to use meeples or some other 3D token. Little zombie miniatures, if you happen to have them! Like that it's much easier to notice in the middle of the game that the stack you want to move has a zombie on it and can't be moved yet!

Is the card artwork yours?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael R.
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was going to try this but unfortunately your rules don't actually tell me how to play Klondike. You just say that it plays like regular Klondike with some exceptions. I have no idea what Klondike is, so I'm pretty stuck!

It would be really helpful if you could fully explain how to play the game for those of us who don't know what to do. I realise that this is probably a popular card game in the USA, so I apologise if I'm in a small minority of people who don't know the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mjrobertson wrote:
I was going to try this but unfortunately your rules don't actually tell me how to play Klondike. You just say that it plays like regular Klondike with some exceptions. I have no idea what Klondike is, so I'm pretty stuck!

It would be really helpful if you could fully explain how to play the game for those of us who don't know what to do. I realise that this is probably a popular card game in the USA, so I apologise if I'm in a small minority of people who don't know the game.

Klondike is more commonly known in the UK as "Patience" or simply "Solitaire"; it's the one that comes with Windows. ;-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael R.
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bichatse wrote:
mjrobertson wrote:

Klondike is more commonly known in the UK as "Patience" or simply "Solitaire"; it's the one that comes with Windows. ;-)

Right, I see. I think I've played that before but don't remember how. However, I'd still recommend that Joseph should include a paragraph in the rules that explains the basics, as without it the rules are incomplete.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mjrobertson wrote:

Right, I see. I think I've played that before but don't remember how. However, I'd still recommend that Joseph should include a paragraph in the rules that explains the basics, as without it the rules are incomplete.

I'd tend to agree, but I can understand that it's one of those things it's easy to assume that everyone knows how to do. I was about to type out all the rules, but they're happily outlined fairly well on Wikipedia. Albeit with lots of technical jargon like 'tableau' and 'waste' that I've never known or used and still been perfectly capable of playing the game.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klondike_(solitaire)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello guys,
No problem!!
I will update the rules and include the general rules that apply to Klondike Soltaire in the beginning of the rules.

Nice catch! Sorry, I just awesumed this was a well know card game and that was bad on my part!

Question: Am I legally able to update the rules for this contest? I know I can put them in my file section but as for the contest?!?!?!

Fix coming soon!

Joseph P.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael R.
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the fix. You are probably right that 99% of people know how to play but there's always going to be an exception. As far as I know you cannot change any of the rules documents until the contest is over. However, there's nothing stopping you adding in a FAQ here or on the game page I suppose. It's a very minor issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I will post this Rules addition here, the main Rulebook and on the main page in the forum section!

Rules for Klondike Solitaire

Taking a shuffled standard 52-card deck of playing cards (without Jokers), one upturned card is dealt on the left of the playing area, then six downturned cards (from left to right). On top of the downturned cards, an upturned card is dealt on the left-most downturned pile, and downturned cards on the rest until all piles have an upturned card. The piles should look like the figure you see on the main page.

The four foundations (light rectangles in the upper right of the figure) are built up by suit from Ace (low in this game) to King, and the tableau piles can be built down by alternate colors, and partial or complete piles can be moved if they are built down by alternate colors also. Any empty piles can be filled with a King or a pile of cards with a King. The aim of the game is to build up a stack of cards starting with 2 and ending with King, all of the same suit. Once this is accomplished, the goal is to move this to a foundation, where the player has previously placed the Ace of that suit. Once the player has done this, they will have "finished" that suit, the goal being, of course, to finish all suits, at which time the player would have won. There are different ways of dealing the remainder of the deck:

• Turning only one card at a time, but placing no limit on passes through the deck.

So, to identify the card areas which are renamed for Zombie Solitaire:
• Four foundations – Are the four SAFE HOUSE starting locations
• Joker – YOU the savior and zombie killer! – New position to the right and below the zombies!
• King – Grandpa
• Queen – Grandma
• Jack – Dad
• Ten – Mom
• 9 thru 2 – are all the kids from the neighborhood!
• Zombies – [10] chips/tokens - Destroy these guys when you get the right opportunity! – New position above the Joker and to the right of the tableaus!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Santiago Eximeno
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've just played several games of Zombie Solitarie (perhaps "Klondike Z" better?). I really enjoy klondike and I've enjoyed this game. It's a original twist.

But, exactly as klondike, I have not control about the game. All depends of where are the aces. And the feeling of "I don't win" because there isn't a real victory condition (only the classic end and the final score) don't help me to play again.

In any case, an original twist if you like klondike.

P.S. Can I shoot all the zombies I can at any time, or only one zombie per card?
P.S. II. 36 points my better game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can shoot as many zombies as you like as long as you have the Ammo! Remeber, the strategy is when to shoot and when to save your ammo!

Actually, I do like the name klondike Z, very cool!

I will admit that the sooner the aces show, the more control or choices you have in manipulating the outcome!

But remeber, it is still klondike solitaire and if your not a fan of solitaire you probably wont be a big fan of this game.
Thank you for playing and for your comments!!!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Anstey
Wales
Barry
Vale of Glamorgan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played Klondike to death and I'm not a fan of zombies, but I gave this a try and I liked it well enough. Klondike is quite luck-heavy, though, and this exacerbates that in that if you don't get an early ace, you've had it. (I did though, and I actually beat the game, hehe, but I did lose a few cards on the way).

I would note that I was reluctant to print the rules because they are so intensely yellow and I was worried that it would take out an entire print cartridge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Julian,
I think a good idea would be to make a printer friendly version of the rules, so thank for pointing this out!
One of the cool things about the game "I think" is if you do win and get all 52 survivors and safe houses, you had to have made some very tough decisions to make it happen! And yes, you really need the safe houses to come up rather early!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls