United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, I'm another MtG CCG burnout here, and haven't played a CCG in awhile.

But I LOVE Martin's books, and the reviews for this game look intriguing.

Unfortunately, there are so many starters and editions, that I'm not sure where the Sam Hill I should begin.

For 2 players, with the possibility of expanding, what would you guys recommend me getting for my initial purchase? Starters? All boosters? What edition?

Thanks for any advice.

-TF

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
What you're looking for is the Premium Starter, which has mini-decks for two (or more, depending on which edition) factions in a single box, all fixed cards.

The most recent Premium Starter is for the Valyrian edition, which was the previous base set. The Premium Starter for the current edition (Winter) is being released on March 31.

The best Premium Starter in terms of playability is for the Ice and Fire edition, but it features two minor houses (Greyjoy & Targ); this would be my first recommendation. The disadvantage is that it doesn't introduce you to more recent concepts (such as Influence). My favorite Premium Starter is for the first edition (Westeros).

- d
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Woodburn
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
The premium starter is a good place to start. The Valyrian ps is the only one that is 100% legal in "standard" tournament play right now, if you're looking to get into competition. It also contains a number of excellent cards, some of which are unique to the VPS.

You might try to pick up a demo deck first. If you go to the game webpage at www.agameofthrones.com, you should be able to find the events in your area (event search, on the left) or the local Night's Watch volunteer (Night's Watch Lookup, also on the left). Contact the nearest Night's Watch to see if you can get a demo deck at the next event. Not everyone has them, but they should be able to get a supply from FFG with the appropriate request.

Good luck with the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Woodburn
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
I just looked at your profile. It's too bad this thread wasn't a few days earlier. There was just a huge, free AGOT event in Mundelein, Illinois this past weekend. The person you probably want to contact is "ktom" on the AGOT message boards (also at the homepage).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: What's a good initial purchase recommendation for GoT CC
Thanks for the advice.

Quick question:
How available are Ice And Fire Premium Starters? Or, for that matter, Westeros?

Does the game flow well between the different cycles (ie Westeros (the original cycle(?)); Ice And Fire; Valyrian, Winter)? Or does one consider, say, the Valyrian version with its expansions basically a standalone set?

Thanks again for the advice.

-TF

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me clarify my questions a bit:

If I buy the Westeros Premium starters, Ice and Fire Premium Starters, Valyrian Premium Starters, and Winter Premium Starters, will they be compatible to play with each other?

I think that would answer all my questions.

-TF

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew W.
United States
Monessen
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Taoist, Pittsburgh Sports fan, and welcoming to people who are kind, from any walk of life.
badge
I have been playing games since the Atari 2600, Candy Land, Chuttes and Ladders, Go Fish, & the Apple ii. Supporting "the Geek" since 2006
mbmbmbmbmb
Tumulorum Fossor wrote:
Let me clarify my questions a bit:

If I buy the Westeros Premium starters, Ice and Fire Premium Starters, Valyrian Premium Starters, and Winter Premium Starters, will they be compatible to play with each other?

I think that would answer all my questions.

-TF

Buying all the premium starters would give one a glimpse of how the game mecanics have changed since its enception, I do not know how available Westeros or Ice and Fire P.Starters would be unless you were buying someone's collection on Ebay when the offload them.

All of the cards from all of the editions should be compatible in theory, but in practice, and largely due to the mechanics introduced in the last year or two, you will notice a proverbial wall between Older edtions (Westy and I&F) and new editions (V and Winter).

Would it be worth your time to go after older cards? To learn the game in preparation for high level competitions, yes. To invest wisely in their value? Not really.

It is a collectible card game with a lot less collectible value than it first enjoyed and touted. Because of the prevalence of "Standard" format in the majority (if not all) of the local and national tournament events, it drives out the value by rotating older sets out of legal use.

For example, Magic CCGs Base sets has counteracted some of the card value deflation in it's Type II tournament game because they reprint cards in a new base set every so often, making the old printings of cards still leagal to use.

AGoT CCg does not do so, and rather in the opposite direction, they will release a new edition of a card with the same title but whole new mechanic quite often, whether the card is going out of "standard" or not. (hypothetically causing scenarios like "I like Jon Snow in this expansion... Hmmm... Next expansion there's going to be another one! wow! look at that newest one's effect!")

The set rotation is a move that was necessary for the overall health of the game and to limit the amount that the designers have to account for interactions with old cards when designing the new expantion, thus speeding up testing and development. Also, the earliest editions were nowhere close to being as available as more current editions. The second expansion was notoriously limited for an example. I don't dispute the wisdom of any of that at all. Most likely it was the right decision for the game's continued survivial. I just can't reccommend that anyone chase the older cards in this game unless you just really have to see what the old cards did. Because 99/100 times you will only be able to use them when playing in a non-structured, non-tournament format, and the cards just have no investment potential.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew W.
United States
Monessen
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Taoist, Pittsburgh Sports fan, and welcoming to people who are kind, from any walk of life.
badge
I have been playing games since the Atari 2600, Candy Land, Chuttes and Ladders, Go Fish, & the Apple ii. Supporting "the Geek" since 2006
mbmbmbmbmb
And I have a ~2750 cards collection to prove it, investing over $300 in their acquisition, and If I sold them now, I'd be very lucky to get $50 and shipping costs

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the responses!

I think that given that I'm not very interested in tournament play, but really enjoy the books themselves, so don't want to play with just the minor houses, I THINK what might be the best course for me would be to just get premium starters for the Winter edition when it comes out March 31st, thereby having access to the most "evolved" version of the game, since the rewrites of cards really makes previous blocks of AGoT relevant only to the collector.

I'm just looking at this strictly as a GAMER who happens to be a Martin fan. The only flaw I can see in my reasoning would be if one of the other blocks of AGoT truly represented a better game than the other blocks (in other words, that Westeros block is significantly better than Ice And Fire block, in turn significantly better than Valyrian block... I'm not saying this hierarchy actually exists, just offering an example). It sounds like the game is evolving into a more sophisticated yet complex model with each iteration, but hopefully the gamer in me would appreciate this.

Unfortunately, the Geek doesn't seem to have a breakdown wherein people can offer ratings of the different BLOCKS of AGoT. If one block really stood out from the rest, the CCG-wariness I have would be tempered by the fact that the actual game, for that one block, would be FINITE (since tourney play isn't really on my agenda).

So, given an interest in really the game for game's sake, and wanting to play with as many parts of Martin's universe as possible (ie different houses), does Winter Premium seem like the place to start?

How do AGoT players rank the different blocks of the game so far?

-TF

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew W.
United States
Monessen
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You should likely start with Winter, but I don't know what houses will be represented therin.

I would not put money into more cards before you buy and play those starters though.

However, Given that you want to see Martin's world, perhaps old collections might be a cheaper way to get there than buying a $70+ box of 36 booster packs with 11 cards each when whatever latest edition hits shelves.

If you're Interested in a 2750 card collection, hey PM me. I promise you're the first and only person so far in line. I got Martells, Tangaryen, Stark, Lannister, Baratehon, Greyjoy, Tyrells, and some other small groups represented.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Maynard
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Great to hear your interested in Game of Thrones CCG. I have played some casual MTG and have to say that I prefer Game of Thrones.

I would suggest getting the Valryian Premium Starters along with the soon to be available Winter Edition Premium Starters. If you really take a liking to the game I would then suggest looking into buying the booster boxes of Valryian and later.

My small group of friends have been playing the game since Westeros and we are all big fans of the books. We actually like playing 3 person multiplayer more than one-on-one because it does a great job of capturing the theme of the book (surprises, backstabbing, etc.)

As far as which blocks to play we recently decided to seperate into two formats: Standard (Valyrian on) and Pre Standard (Westeros thru Crown of Suns). We found that playing Classic where all the sets are combined limited deck building and play style because the choices to build were too obvious. Basically, you just played with all the high powered cards. I personally like playing the Standard block better than the Westeros thru Crown of Suns sets.

As far as purchasing cards I would focus on the Standard block (Valryian on), unless you can find a good deal on the older cards.
When buying booster boxes I'd suggest taking a look at Potomac Distributing - they have very good prices and don't charge shipping. The only drawback is that they will only take orders worth $150 or more. We generally buy 1.5 boxes each of the large releases (Valyrian & Winter Ed.) and 1 box of the smaller releases (Reign of Kings, Tourney of Swords, Song of Twilight)

My group bought a box of Winter Ed. premium starters and I think we may still have two sets of premium starters laying around that we could sell you at a pretty decent price.

Hope this information helps and welcome to the game. It's a lot of fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I'm going to start with simply buying the Premium starter decks for Westeros, Ice & Fire, Valyrian, & Winter, recoginizing that I'm getting stuff from different blocks.

Presumably, as long as I'm limiting myself to the Premium starters, the PreStandard (Westeros/Ice&Fire) stuff shouldn't be particularly imbalanced when played with each other. And it'll give me a taste of the "old" AGoT.

And if I enjoy the Standard Premium starters (Valyrian and Winter), and the collector's bug hits, I can always buy boosters. But I'm really turned off by the collectible aspect, so unless I'm totally enamored, I'll probably just stick with Premium starters (what a great idea!)... but I can see myself occassionally dipping in for a Winter booster.

I just wish AGoT was more available locally, as mail ordering a booster here-or-there is kind of silly, and I just don't want to sink the money for buying a box at a time.

But, like I said, I don't think I want to pursue the collecting aspect hard core.

Thanks for all the guidance!

-TF

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian B
Australia
Adelaide
flag msg tools
mbmb
I've heard Valyrian premium starters can be a bit unbalanced. Is this true?

What about Winter edition premium starters? Are they out yet? If so which would be a better way to get into the game now?

Also is 30 minutes really an accurate estimate of playing time?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian B
Australia
Adelaide
flag msg tools
mbmb
In fact I now see that the Iron Throne edition is out, although there are no premium starters yet. Its only 9 months since this thread was created!

What does a newbie do? It seems that each edition supersedes the old edition. Where should I start?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt - Conduit23
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm actually waiting for Five Kings Edition. It's supposed to come out this month.

The Editions seems to come really fast, I hope they don't phase out ALL of the old Editions when a new one hits?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lukas Litzsinger
United States
Falcon Heights
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mdanuser wrote:
I'm actually waiting for Five Kings Edition. It's supposed to come out this month.

The Editions seems to come really fast, I hope they don't phase out ALL of the old Editions when a new one hits?

There are always three base sets available: Valyrian Edition is rotating out with the addition of the Five Kings Edition, leaving Winter, Iron Throne and Five Kings tournament playable. However, it doesn't really matter unless you want to play in Standard tournaments.

FKE does look like a good set to start with...check out tzumainn.com/agot if you haven't already, great site to look at all the cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.