Hide
10 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: [WIP] Whales! Idea Phase 2013 Solitaire Contest rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Carter
msg tools
Hey I am entering this contest. http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1002891/2013-solitaire-print...

In it, you are a whaler going on a voyage to the Pacific. You will encounter Storms, natives (maybe, might remove), and other things. And that is just the voyage... Once you get there you will have to try to get as many whales as possible, which is the goal of the game. There will be a limited food supply, but it gets replenished once you get a whale. The game is over when you have filled up your storage, or run out of food, or some other reason.

You are going to draw cards for events, but you decide how to respond to them. You also plot you course (also might remove) and decide your men and food supply. This might be set over several whaling voyages, or focused on one.

Here is an example card that you pick up while on the voyage.

I think it is going to take about 90 minutes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
いい竹やぶだ!

South Euclid
Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmb
Re: [WIP] Whales! Idea Phase
Anything specific you'd like feedback about? I can think of one suggestion right off the bat: Don't ask Greenpeace to help you with publicity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Carter
msg tools
Yeah... But there has to be at least one way to relive the Whaling adventures of the 19th century. I would mainly like suggestions, such as how I could plan out the voyage? How many turns until they get to the Whaling spot?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael R.
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about having several whaling spots, each of which is a different distance away and contains different whale species? Hunting grounds that are closer could be easier/less dangerous but contain less valuable whales. Then it would take longer to go to the more lucrative hunting grounds. The whales could also move cyclically between different feeding grounds during different parts of the year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Carter
msg tools
I am having it so that you have a deck of voyage cards, which you pick one every so turns (not decided yet) and when those run out, you reach the Whaling grounds. I might add different whaling spots, but so far I have Whale cards, which you draw when you run out of voyage cards.

I have a prototype game sheet which I will post next, and you lose if you run out of food, men, supplies, whale boats, or harpoons. You win if you fill up your Whale limit. You will have the opportunity to decide how to react to the cards you draw, such as going around the storm, which causes you to lose food, or going through, in which case you roll.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Carter
msg tools
Does anyone know a good designing software for free? I need to make my play-sheet and cards look like they are real.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael R.
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Paint.net, Gimp, Inkscape and Nandeck are useful tools.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Carter
msg tools
Here are the Mishaps that could happen:
Enemy Ship
Storm
Sickness
Malfunction
Take Water
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Carter
msg tools
Here is the play sheet. It works by shading in (with a pencil) everything but the Whale storage. Then wheny you draw a card and make a decision, you either shade in or erase. The categories are (with the number of boxes in parentheses) Food(50), Men(100), Supplies(50), Whale Boats(6), Harpoons(12), Whale Storage(10, you want to fill that one up), and Ship Strengh(75).

You win the game by filling up the Whale Storage. This is a hand drawn prototype and I have no idea how to do this on the computer. I can not figure out Gimp and Paint lacks the tools.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Carter
msg tools
Have not been able to do too much lately, have been very busy, but I did add a money feature, so when you pick up a Port Card, you can buy supplies, food, hire men, repair your ship, and other stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls