Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Darryl Boone
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Reading your recent posts has been like dipping my bottom over and over into a bath of the silkiest oils and creams.
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I play this game once in a while, with just the two of us. This is a variant that increases the drama for us as the game goes on. It was tested with two players -- three might be OK, but I wouldn't try it with many more.

As rows are claimed they are set aside. In the original game, the scores are tallied at the end of the round and added back into the deck for the next round. In this variant, the captured cards are not added back into the deck, they remain aside for the duration of the game. Cards remaining in play in unclaimed rows are still returned to the deck.

As rounds are played, the deck gradually becomes smaller and the point piles become larger. The game is over when there are not enough cards remaining to start a new round.

This is a minor change but it has a happy side effect. The point of the game, as always, is to claim the fewest points, so at the beginning of the game players will be claiming a lot of 1 point cards and few of the higher-point ones. But because those cards are now out of the game, in later rounds the ratio of high- to low-point cards increases. By the last round there will be a lot of high-point cards in play and it becomes quite dramatic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Witowich
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I actually had a rules question but found an answer in this post. From the first time I played the game (only so far as a two player game - I bought it two months ago)I was unsure as to whether or not to shuffle back in the gathered rows/point cards to play the next hand. I figured you might since the rules state to tally scores but either I'm an idiot, ADD or just missed the statement in the rules to do so. We have been playing with this variant from the beginning - and LOVED it! Also through some mental defect/error on my part we also left the rows on the table and merely dealt 10 new cards. I see no problem in this either and also forces the players to really choose the right card. Any feedback or (SHAME) admonishments?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Hartstein
United States
North Plainfield
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, perhaps an admonishment for your rules-reading skills.

This sounds like an interesting variant for two players. You obviously couldn't add too many more players without running out of cards far too quickly. I may give it a try sometime.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.