Twilight Imperium (Third Edition)» Forums » Sessions

Subject: 3rd game for me, in 3 weeks of starting to play rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Juneau
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm putting my birthday gift that I received in July to good use. I just played this game today, at 4 players:

The Nekro virus was played by the player who won our first game (8 players, using Embers of Muaat). The Universities was played by someone who I consider an excellent resource management gamer, able to weigh a lot of options quickly and who very often revs up for massive end-game swings in his favor with just the right timing. I often end up besides him and he's always a headache to manage in-game.

Options used:
-Pre-built map for 4
-Custodians of Mecatol Rex
-Distant Suns (first time) (easy ones on ring 3 + adjacent to the HS, tougher ones for the other planets)
-Wormhole Nexus
-Leaders (first time)
-Mech units
-extra techs from both expansions
-Shattered Empire strategy cards (white background)
-Preliminary Objective cards
-Artifacts (2 worlds had tokens, both turned out to be artifacts)

The game advanced normally in the first turns with purple and black establishing an uneasy frontier, despite massive trade agreements in place (Universities offering 3, Yssaril offering 2). Meanwhile, the Nekro Virus and the Arborec advance toward each other.

First blood occured with the Virus flagship making its suicide run against an Aborec system with a few ships.

An early game vote came up while the Universities played Assembly, designating the Virus as the vote initiator - Elect a planet: the controller of this planet needs 1 less victory point to win. I had the most votes at the time with my unexhausted planets, so I chose Mecatol Rex, backed by the Arborec. No one controlled the old seat of Galactic power yet.

3 turns from the end, the state of the board is this:

-Jol-Nar has built a formidable presence, has War Sun technology and matches everything I have as fighting bonuses and then some. Its 3 PDS will shoot at anything that tries to move inside a system that I control, adjacent to Mecatol Rex.

-I've moved into Mecatol Rex. I had a special Law that I could use at any time to wipe all ground forces on that world, but I chose to keep it in my reserve, in case I would lose control of the center and would need to go take it back. It ended up as not being useful as you'll see.

-The Arborec had a ridiculous amount of fighters near the Nekro border but it was an unfortunate unproductive (in terms of game points) standoff for both players.

-I score a public objective for 1 point, for controlling Mecatol. I'm thinking about how I'll manage to string up my secret objective of 2 points (industrialized something) where I needed to:
-control Mecatol
-Have all 3 space docks
-Have all 5 dreadnaughts

On the second to last turn, I used Diplomacy II to make Mecatol unattackable. I built my last space dock close to my home system.

On the last turn, since I had taken the speaker token, I chose Diplomacy and ASAP made Mecatol unattackable. The Universities took Leadership! So technically, they could go all in towards Mecatol Rex and thwart my secret plan of trying to win the game! Fortunately, he did not, so I played Diplomacy ASAP to secure the center and severely augment my chances of winning during the status phase of this turn.

I built the 5th dread I needed. I also moved all my ships away (except a lone destroyed) from a system adjacent to Mecatol, where Jol-Nar later moved in with ease, but couldn't conquer my 2 planets there because they had PDS systems. He only send 1 GF invading on each, so my both my PDS performed like champs. It might have given him the impression right then and there that it was a huge oversight not to bring more troops, since one of the planets had an artifact on it. However, on the status phase of the last turn, I scored my secret objective of 2 points, going from 7 to 9, winning. Even with 1 less point, I would have scored one of the 1-pointer public objectives, still securing my win at 9.

Mecatol was BOOSTED thanks to:
-a law, which gives its owner 1 less point needed to win (we had to elect a planet, I had an unbeatable amount of votes early game when it passed, so I chose the center, in line with my secret objective)

-an action card, Usurper: planet is now worth 12 votes during votes, even if exhausted. Card disappear if I lose control of Mecatol Rex. It could have netted me the: "have more influence than both your direct neighbors" for 1 point. Therefore, losing the artifact was doubly inconsequential for me. In an extended 14 point game, I would have gotten a headstart (but would have been crushed by the onslaught of double War Suns, 5 destroyers, many filled carriers and a few dreadnaughts) all with amazing tech.

I'm so happy to have won my first game.

FINAL SCORE

(Me) - purple - Yssaril Tribes - 9 points
Black - Universities of Jol-Nar - 6 points
Yellow - Arborec - 2 points
Blue - Nekro Virus - 1 point

Our time tally is now at a respectable:

Game 1: 8 players, 8.5 hours (started at 11 AM) (including 6 new players + 1 player returning after years of hiatus)
Game 2: 5 players, 5 hours (started at 1 PM) (4 players from last game + 1 totally new)
Game 3: 4 players, 4 hours (started at 3 PM) (1 player from game 1, 3 players from game 1&2)

I can't wait to try to find online venues to play as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michał Juszczak
Poland
Kraków
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mu0n wrote:

-an action card, Usurper: planet is now worth 12 votes during votes, even if exhausted. Card disappear if I lose control of Mecatol Rex. It could have netted me the: "have more influence than both your direct neighbors" for 1 point.

Just a clarification.
If it reads as you quoted it it wont count to this objective since it only adds votes not influence.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Juneau
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kurunir wrote:
Mu0n wrote:

-an action card, Usurper: planet is now worth 12 votes during votes, even if exhausted. Card disappear if I lose control of Mecatol Rex. It could have netted me the: "have more influence than both your direct neighbors" for 1 point.

Just a clarification.
If it reads as you quoted it it wont count to this objective since it only adds votes not influence.

True, but the raw power of getting those additional 6 influence put me above my neighbors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.