Subject: Haunt question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Duncan Flint
United Kingdom
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Picked up some Boosters at WMMMS yesterday. Some nice fun stuff but how exactly does "Haunt " work - I cant seem to get my head around it.

HELP...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCarthy
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When the creature dies, or the spell resolves, then instead of going to the graveyard you remove it from the game.

When you remove it, you choose a creature that's in play. If that creature ever dies, you get a free immediate copy of the effect on the card. If it's a spell, you get a copy of the spell. If it was a creature, you get a free copy of the creature's comes-into-play ability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Haunt: When this card is put into a graveyard from play, remove it from the game haunting target creature.

Example: Absolver Thrull is a Creature with Haunt. His ability is as follows: When Absolver Thrull comes into play or the creature it haunts is put into a graveyard, destroy target enchantment.

First, when Absolver Thrull comes into play, destroy target enhancement. This is independent of the Haunt ability.

Let's say you have in play Absolver Thrull and any other creature (say, a Martyred Rusalka, a card you are likely to sacrifice in any case). If Absolver Thrull is put into a graveyard from play, you can choose to remove it from the game instead of putting it in the graveyard, targeting a creature to haunt in the process. Let's say you do so, choosing to haunt your Martyred Rusalka. Later on in the game, if you put Martyred Rusalka into a graveyard, you destroy target enhancement as per the text on Absolver Thrull.

- d

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
omnicrondelicious
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dave wrote:
Haunt: When this card is put into a graveyard from play, remove it from the game haunting target creature.

Example: Absolver Thrull is a Creature with Haunt. His ability is as follows: When Absolver Thrull comes into play or the creature it haunts is put into a graveyard, destroy target enchantment.

First, when Absolver Thrull comes into play, destroy target enhancement. This is independent of the Haunt ability.

Let's say you have in play Absolver Thrull and any other creature (say, a Martyred Rusalka, a card you are likely to sacrifice in any case). If Absolver Thrull is put into a graveyard from play, you can choose to remove it from the game instead of putting it in the graveyard, targeting a creature to haunt in the process. Let's say you do so, choosing to haunt your Martyred Rusalka. Later on in the game, if you put Martyred Rusalka into a graveyard, you destroy target enhancement as per the text on Absolver Thrull.

- d

Exactly. Only change I'd make is I believe a card with Haunt MUST be removed from the game if there is a valid creature to target. Only if there are no valid haunt targets does the card stay in the graveyard. That's my understanding anyway:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=mtgcom/satschoolarchive...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Thanks, Bart. You are probably right that I was wrong by including "you can choose". In general, reaction things like this in Magic are mandatory (e.g., the Destroy Target Enhancement effect *must* be taken, even if it forces you to remove something you don't want to). Note that I only play Magic via the preconstructed theme decks. Any more in-depth discussion is better off on the Wizards boards. meeple

- d

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Buel
United States
Hollywood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dave wrote:
If Absolver Thrull is put into a graveyard from play, you can choose to remove it from the game instead of putting it in the graveyard, targeting a creature to haunt in the process.

You remove it from the game after it is put into the graveyard, not "instead of."

This matters if some other card is in play that "watches for" creatures being put into a graveyard from play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One final nitpick to add: "haunt" goes on the stack and thus can be responded to.

Sticking with Absolver Thrull, let's say when it dies there are two creatures in play. The controller of the Thrull chooses which one to haunt and then both players have the normal chance to respond. If either player does something such that the targeted creature isn't in play when haunt resolved, then the Thrull stays in the graveyard like a normal dead creature and nothing happens. Otherwise, it is removed from the game when the haunt ability resolves.

Not only is haunting non-optional, the controller of haunt can't choose not to use it when the haunted creature dies. Thus, if the haunted creatured dies and the only enchantment in play is one you'd like NOT to destroy you'll still have to.

Hugs,
Chad

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Durandetta
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Just out of curiosity, when you're playing with the Orzhov, how do you physically demonstrate that a card is haunted? Do you stick the card with Haunt under the targeted creature like an Aura?

I know there's no ruling on this; I'd just like to know what the convention is just in case I pick up the Orzhov deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Buckle
United Kingdom
Thornton Heath
Croydon
flag msg tools
designer
NSKN are publishing my next game :)
badge
Omega Centauri Published in 2014
mbmbmbmbmb
tubalord wrote:
Just out of curiosity, when you're playing with the Orzhov, how do you physically demonstrate that a card is haunted? Do you stick the card with Haunt under the targeted creature like an Aura?

I know there's no ruling on this; I'd just like to know what the convention is just in case I pick up the Orzhov deck.

That's what I do - the card is removed from the game when it haunts, so just put it under the creature it is haunting as a 'reminder'. When the haunted creature goes to the graveyard trigger the haunt ability and then actually remove the card from the game (it's easy to forget and put it in your graveyard ...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's what pretty much everyone I know does, and that includes Pro Tour players. The card is removed from the game, so it doesn't have to be anywhere and putting it under the Haunted creature just seems like the natural thing to do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Sun
Australia
flag msg tools
The official rules for the haunt ability are as follows:
502.51. Haunt
502.51a Haunt is a triggered ability that enables other triggered abilities to work from the removed-from-the-game zone. "Haunt" on a permanent means "When this permanent is put into a graveyard from play, remove it from the game. As long as this card remains removed from the game this way, it haunts target creature." "Haunt" on an instant or sorcery spell means "When this spell resolves, remove this card from the game. As long as this card remains removed from the game this way, it haunts target creature."
502.51b Cards that are in the removed-from-the-game zone as the result of a haunt ability "haunt" the creature targeted by that ability. When the creature that's being haunted is put into a graveyard, an ability of each card in the removed-from-the-game zone that's haunting it will trigger.
502.51c If a creature that's being haunted leaves the in-play zone, it stops being haunted.
* If an instant or sorcery spell with haunt is countered, its haunt ability doesn't trigger.
* Instants and sorceries with haunt have the same effect when they're played as when the haunted creature is put into a graveyard. Creatures with haunt have the same effect when they come into play as when the haunted creature is put into a graveyard.
* You may haunt any creature in play, regardless of who controls it.
* The same creature may be haunted by multiple cards.
* The cards that are haunting a creature don't return from the removed-from-the-game zone when that creature leaves play.
* If there are no legal targets for the haunt ability, the card with haunt stays in the graveyard rather than being removed from the game.
* If a card with haunt is removed from the graveyard in response to its haunt ability triggering, the haunt ability will resolve. But since the card can't be removed from the game, it won't haunt the target creature.
* The same applies for a token creature with haunt or a copy of an instant or sorcery spell with haunt. The haunt ability will trigger and target a creature in play, but the token or spell copy will have vanished from the graveyard by the time the ability resolves. It can't be removed from the game and won't haunt the targeted creature.
* If a card that's haunting a creature leaves the removed-from-the-game zone due to a Wish (from the _Judgment_(TM) set), that card stops haunting that creature.
* The source of an ability that triggers when a haunted creature is put into a graveyard is the card with haunt in the removed-from-the-game zone. The ability is controlled by the owner of that card.
* If a creature with haunt controlled by Player A but owned by Player B is put into a graveyard, Player A controls the haunt triggered ability. That player chooses the target for the haunt ability and must remove the card from the game. However, when the haunted creature is put into a graveyard, Player B will control the triggered ability of the card in the removed-from-the-game zone and will make any choices it requires.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.