Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Bryant
United States
Jamaica Plain
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have read on a few of these threads about marking the cards and the general consensus is get some sleeves and a decent dry erase marker. My question, not knowing the rules, is could you use simple markers. Such as print up a few little tokens and such that you just place on top of the card that takes the place of writing on the card? Or would this be a lot harder then writing on the card then erasing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Gross
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Paul,

Funny you should bring this up. One of the members of the BGFW Yahoo discussion group is currently in the process of soliciting feedback for some counters he's creating. I encourage you to join the group if you have interest in the game: http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/BGFW/

That said, I don't think counters make a very good complete replacement for marking on the sleaves (and incidentally, everyone always writes "dry erase marker", but everyone actually uses "wet erase markers", because they have a finer point and make thinner, easier to read lines). In particular, marking off damage on the damage bar is just very, very convenient.

Andrew

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giant Robot
United States
Belleville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I own the game.

I do not think tokens or some type of chit would make a good replacement.

Not only are you writing in the units orders. You are also tracking damage to it. With a token I could see that when you move the card that they might get all messed up. Also some of the information needed in the game is on the back of the cards. Lifting the cards would create havoc with the tokens.

Now that being said, if you could make the marker slightly sticky and easy to peel off, that might work.

Or better yet, have you seen the little plastic clips, that you hook on to the character cards, to keep track of stats, in Monsters Menace America or Betrayal at House on the Hill. Those might work to keep track of damage, however the card itself might not be thick enough to support this kind of edge marker.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Gross
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
w/r/t picking the card up to look at the modifiers on the back: we never do this anyway. There are so many duplicates of each unit, we just have duplicates of every card that has info on the back set to one side, and check that when needed-- this avoids arguments about whether you returned the card to the exact position it was in before you picked it up to read the back. Or, alternately, there are some reference sheets in the "files" section of the Yahoo group, that list all the modifiers for all the units for each army (one army per sheet); this is very convenient as well.

w/r/t counters sliding around as you move: this is a fair complaint, and may turn out to be a problem. However, it might be mitigated by a couple of considerations. First, counters for terrain objectives would be very handy, because if you try to use dice, people are constantly forgetting the dice represent terrain objectives and pick them up to roll them. Second, most of the counters would only be placed on a unit once it is locked in combat, and you can't move while in combat anyway. I will certainly give them a try and see if they are worth the hassle or not-- it is really pretty easy to forget modifiers like fear checks, or lose track of which unit you said you were going to be swinging at when you declared it 5 minutes ago, and the counters would help for stuff like that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bryant
United States
Jamaica Plain
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well thanks for the info. When I get back to JP I will likely pick this game up. It looks to be fun and is a a very reasonable price point so is worth a shot. I like designing little bits and such in illustrator so if it seems like it would help at all I would likely give it a try just for the fun of it. Just looking at the cards I have a few ideas spinning around my head for how you could make some bits. I will check the yahoo group as suggested.

rock on

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Paul,

I used to live in JP!

It seems like everything there is to be said on the subject has been said...so I'll just welcome you to the Yahoo group and say that I hope you enjoy Battleground.

Best,
Chad

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
3M makes a glue stick of "post it" glue that might prove helpful with making counters stick. I like the sleeves because the cards are easier to pick up and move around, and two sleeved decks still fit perfectly in one of those "deck armor" card boxes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.