Subject: Deep games without complicated rules rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Stroud
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
I'm looking for some 4 player games I can play with my parents. My dad gets easily overwhelmed by complicated rules and busy gameboards, which is greatly exacerbated by my mom's gleeful taunting of him. I'm getting Ticket To Ride and 10 Days in Europe to play with them, but I just don't know how long these will hold MY interest.

Does anyone have suggestions for games that have a bit of meat to them for the more serious gamer, but are easy to pick up?

Here's a list of games I've tried with him:

Settlers: Had a bit of a time with the rules for the first two games. He's pretty bad at placing settlements and roads, but can negotiate and play his cards well sometimes.

Carcassonne: Way too confusing for him. We didn't even play with field scoring. He's particularly inept at spacial visualization, so I shouldn't be too surprised.

Samurai: He did alright, but the scoring and hiding of the "won" bits was a bit complicated. I tend to agree.

*Edited the title. And make that 10 Days… not 19 days. blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I've got an 808 and a 303 and a record collection like the ABC
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Brain burners without complicated rules
Modern Art would be a good choice. Very simple rules, winner is just whoever has the most money at the end, yet it's quite deep.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Zurfluh
United States
Cranbury
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am confused by the title of this thread.....these games are not really "Brain Burners". Ricochet Robots would be a Brain Burner...

Are you strictly looking for good games with simple rules?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j b Goodwin

Lynchburg
Virginia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Blokus and Ingenious. Both great games. Not a bit alike, despite the popular idea that they are. Neither is really complicated or difficult to teach, but they can burn your brain. Especially Blokus. I find Ingenious to be a mild game, but others seem to stare hard at the board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
United States
denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I'm not sure about the "brain burner part", that's hard to find without more complicated rules (with the exceptions of abstracts like GO and Chess). But here's a few that I've had good luck with that, while not super-challenging, do present some tough decisions: 10 Days in the USA, Ingenious (scoring sort of trick but shouldn't be a problem), Rummikub (this is more of a brain burner than either of the first two and is very similar to rummy-and much better than it's rating would imply).

If not a board game how about one of the more strategic cardgames like Spades or Hearts?

High Society is a pretty simple auction card game that I almost never win, so it must be really hard

Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Stroud
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Wow, those replies were really quick, many thanks for the help everyone.

Maybe "brain burner" is not the best term here. I am looking for good games period; but something that has depth of strategy and replay value. I just don't want to get stuck with a really simple game that my parents will play because it's easy to learn, while I die of boredom in the meantime.

I think partnership games would be really great too, although that might be a whole other thread. I just did a quick search on BGG but could use some help narrowing it down. Thanks again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Teplin
United States
La Mesa
California
flag msg tools
badge
mb
dstroud wrote:
I'm getting Ticket To Ride and 19 Days in Europe to play with them...

You lucky devil, getting the deluxe version with 9 extra days!

Seriously, though, I'd recommend Lost Cities for 2 players and Through the Desert for 3. Both are very simple to learn and yet can be extremely deep.

Another one I greatly enjoy that can play 2-8 players is Bohnanza. The 2 and 3-player "versions" are each a bit different from each other and from the 4-8-player versions, but each is a lot of fun and very interactive!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Farrell
Australia
Rozelle
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Averagely Inadequate
badge
Buster Keaton from 'Go West'
mbmbmbmbmb
Cartagena. One page of rules, 2-5 players. Everyone I introduce it to loves it.

Bohnanza. Once you learn to hold your cards it's a breeze to play. Maybe not so deep though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Zurfluh
United States
Cranbury
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Non-gamers like Ingenious. Blokus can be very cut-throat.

Keep your eye on Thurn und Taxis, seems like a nice game that's coming out in April - still waiting for some good reviews from Germany.

If he likes deduction games with a little bit of chaos...but nevertheless simple rules.....Mystery of the Abbey is always a hit with non-gamers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action
United States
Hickory
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
mbmbmbmbmb
I would agree with the fellow who suggested Modern Art. It's a very simple game that is as deep and as strategic as you want to make it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Diosi
Canada
Newcastle
Ontario
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How about Coloretto?

Perhaps not deep strategy but certainly a game that takes some thinking while not being overly complicated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thumbsup 2nd vote for Coloretto.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Stroud
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Quote:
I'm getting Ticket To Ride and 19 Days in Europe to play with them...

Err… yeah. This is a rare import from Germany. I'm also getting a copy of Memoir '84: The Reagan Years to go along with it.

Thanks for the ideas!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom "Snicker Daddy" Pancoast
United States
Henrico
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fteplin wrote:
Through the Desert for 3. [...] simple to learn and yet can be extremely deep.

I was reading the thread and beginning to thing no-one was going to mention this one. Good call.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Boos
United States
Falls Church
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am going out on a limb, but here are some simple ones I would recommend:

Zertz - a simple abstract which has some deep strategy
Hive - another simple strategy with some deep strategy
Cityscape - great fast abstract - simple, not overly deep, but plays fast
Mississippi Queen - simply (IMHO) the best race game on the market
Sunda to Sahul - nice puzzle/tile laying game; add complexity as you see fit; a personal favorite

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Boos
United States
Falls Church
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I forgot to menion Quoridor - another great fas abstract...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Londini
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rook. Trick taking, 4-player, great card game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lyman Hurd
United States
Cupertino
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rumis. If you like spatial games at all, I like this more than Blokus for example and it is trivial to explain.

If you like abstracts do consider Yinsh. I have also been having more and more fun with Punct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Green
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say Tikal, for several reasons: first, it scales well with 2-4; second, it's so pretty they'll want to learn it just to get in on the action, and third, it has enough staying power that it has been reprinted and is finally available again. It's a fun, fun game and is different every time. It also has one of the best, most colorful and easiest to understand rulebooks I've ever seen. It won't take your folks long to understand the Action Point menu.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If they had trouble with Settlers, Tikal isn't going to fly. And if your Dad doesn't do well with spatial relationships, Blokus and Rumis are going to be a problem for him, and probably Ingenious and Through the Desert would also.

All of the above are good games, but they don't sound right for your Dad. The best suggestion you've gotten so far is probably Modern Art, which focuses on bidding. I'd also suggest you look at Royal Turf and High Society. These are fun, and should work well for your Dad.

Good luck,
George

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wot!
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
badge
...i WILL own it all!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Friendless wrote:
Cartagena. One page of rules, 2-5 players. Everyone I introduce it to loves it.

I would second that. Very interesting play ... and the rules were suprisingly simple. I played this for the first time this weekend ... and got my ass handed to me on a plate. shake I did find that no matter how much I planned ... when my turn came round I had to rethink it all because the board had changed so much.
It was good fun though !!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bentley
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i suggest Acquire.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thi Nguyen
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I have a similar good-gamers-but-bad-at-rules family situation.

Results of my experiments:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist.php3?action=view&listi...

By all means, if they can think abstractly, get Ingenious, too. Fantastic game.

Daytona 500, also.

-thi

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thi Nguyen
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mb
+1 on Acquire.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j b Goodwin

Lynchburg
Virginia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am also going to agree with the two posters who said Rook (the first four-player game and the first partnership game I ever played) and Quoridor. Both are most excellent games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.