Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Fred Methot
Canada
SAINTE-JULIE
QUEBEC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Its official, after the news that Well of Darkness was going to be available this summer, it is now official, a second expansion will see the day in 2006.

All details in this post:
http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=...

Or the Rants section of the FFG site:
www.fantasyflightgames.com/rants.html

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Theo Miltenburg
Netherlands
Enschede
Overijsel
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I am just wonderring if it will be a set in total 30 mini's or 30 different one's... considering 6 new heroes that leaves 24. Kobolts are probably a replacement for beast mean so you would need at least 4 normals and 2 masters, leaving 18. Then the ferrox not much higher up the food chain so same numbers and then at least 2 golems. That means we get 2 monsters that haven't been announced yet. Now look at the doom expansion... A WHOLE new set of monsters(7?) new quests and death match and an invader deck. Not to mention that doom the board game is much much cheaper to start with.

To be honest I am kind of dissapointed with this.

ps. one thing I forgot about the relic items whoopadiedoo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Humrich
Germany
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dark Slayer wrote:
I am just wonderring if it will be a set in total 30 mini's or 30 different one's... considering 6 new heroes that leaves 24. Kobolts are probably a replacement for beast mean so you would need at least 4 normals and 2 masters, leaving 18. Then the ferrox not much higher up the food chain so same numbers and then at least 2 golems. That means we get 2 monsters that haven't been announced yet.

I am quite sure that the announcement on the first expansion is already complete, so I think there will be no other monster types. But I expect some variations like Kobold Archers and Kobold Shamans or something like that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Wraith
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan (MI)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dark Slayer wrote:
Now look at the doom expansion... A WHOLE new set of monsters(7?) new quests and death match and an invader deck. Not to mention that doom the board game is much much cheaper to start with.

Well, if you look at the statement (which pretty much mirrors what Kevin W has said a couple times over the past few months):

The Well of Darkness expansion includes more than 30 new plastic miniatures, featuring six new heroes, tricky kobolds, bloodsucking ferrox, and unstoppable golems.

So, 30 new miniatures, which is almost as many as the Doom XP (recall, also, that Descent had more monster types to begin with than Doom did.)

The heroes get more skills

New skills, just like Doom.

and treasures, including six new relics and a new type of potion.

New treasures to address the imbalance in the number of magic attack items exceeding melee and ranged AND six new relics AND a whole new type of potion. The Doom XP had the Soul Cube, no other new weapons, and one type of 'potion'.

They'll need them, though, because the Overlord gains the ability to customize his deck before every game.

Deck CUSTOMIZATION, not exchange one deck for another, as in Doom; meaning you can pick what cards you want to use (favorite traps, favorite spawns, etc.)

He gets new spawn cards, nasty new events and powers, and even deadlier traps such as rolling boulders, poison darts, and scything blades.

How can you not like rolling boulders and poison darts?

The expansion also features rules for lava and mud, two new lingering effects (bleeding and dazed)

Doom had one new condition: airless terrain. This has new types of terrain AND two new conditions for the heroes.

, and nine new quests.

Just like the Doom XP. I really don't understand what's 'disappointing' about this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Methot
Canada
SAINTE-JULIE
QUEBEC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dark Slayer wrote:
I am just wonderring if it will be a set in total 30 mini's or 30 different one's... considering 6 new heroes that leaves 24. Kobolts are probably a replacement for beast mean so you would need at least 4 normals and 2 masters, leaving 18. Then the ferrox not much higher up the food chain so same numbers and then at least 2 golems. That means we get 2 monsters that haven't been announced yet. Now look at the doom expansion... A WHOLE new set of monsters(7?) new quests and death match and an invader deck. Not to mention that doom the board game is much much cheaper to start with.

The announcment says "more than 30 new plastic miniatures, featuring six new heroes, tricky kobolds, bloodsucking ferrox, and unstoppable golems.".

This to me mean a bit over 30 minis (maybe 34?) and more monster type than written in the announcment.

What I'm really looking forward to are the new OL cards, new skills, training, potion type... all the stuff that will really expand the gameplay more than the minis... and I'm not even halfway thru painting the first batch...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Humrich
Germany
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I copy some entries from KevinW from the FFG message board, just for further information on the expansion:

"The OL deck customization rules are pretty simple. Each quest gives you some "treachery". The new OL cards have a "treachery cost" in a bottom middle gem. If you want to use one of the new cards, you pay its treachery cost, and swap it into your OL deck, swapping out any one old card of your choice. Repeat until you're out of treachery. It takes like 2 minutes once you're familiar with the new cards. The only part even slightly complicated is that treachery comes in 3 flavors (basically: spawn, event, and trap, with powers divided amongst them) so as to allow quests to reinforce their flavor with treachery. And yes, treachery values for the 9 existing quests will be included.

Oh, and of course, you can just choose not to spend any treachery, in which case you get an extra card in your starting hand for every 2 unspent treachery (up to your normal limit of 8 cards)."

"There are a few more map tiles of the existing types, like 4-way intersections and such. This wasn't really a major feature of the expansion, just a small supplemental bonus for folks who like building their own maps (and it allowed me to do one or two fancy things with the new quests)."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Theo Miltenburg
Netherlands
Enschede
Overijsel
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
We get two un announced mosters max.

The treachery rating I didn't know about but see all those no brainer cards go out of the OL deck and you don't really add any choices there. It is more of the same. I also really doubt that the new treasures are going to matter that much, unless they are weak golden treasures. Then everyone feels left out on luck drawing those. What needs to be done is to break the path of upgrades for 1 extra dice or better surges. The bronze deck is really the most fun. Mind you I told there would be 2 unannounced monsters but I wouldn't be surprised if it would b 1 or even 0 unannounced. They can basicly pick either 2 tier 3 monsters or 1 tier 2 monster. I am not expecting any tier 4 monsters.

If they are going to rebalance the heroes with the other six they could only obselete some of the weaker heroes. If they are not going to do they might bring like 1 or maybe 2 heroes that might be on equal par with the current power heroes.

Also the new tiles will probably be totally worth it. They are the most important thing in the whole box to me probably. The rest one can do by one self.

ps. I am not saying it is a bad expansion... just a comparison with the doom expansion. I am sure to buy this expansion when it comes, probably Spiel 2006 .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Theo Miltenburg
Netherlands
Enschede
Overijsel
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The site no longer reads june but summer... it is FFG so maybe it will be at Spiel 2006

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Theo Miltenburg
Netherlands
Enschede
Overijsel
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
it is supposed to be at the printer now... still this summer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.