Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
from http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/rants.html

Quote:
Lord of the Rings: Battlefields
In August, Reiner Knizia gives us a new expansion for the classic Lord of the Rings board game. Each of the boards from the main game has a corresponding battlefield, and players maneuver heroes and villains on these battlefields to improve their position in the fully integrated main game. We'll have more information from Reiner on this expansion at the end of this month, so stay tuned!

Apparently, Knizia dusted this one off again and figured out how to make it work.

sauron
Excellent
sauron

Seth Ben-Ezra
Great Wolf

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hwaaaaah!?!

*swoon*

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Johansson
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great news. Actually didn't think there would be more expansions. Let's see how it turns out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Martin
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds cool, but I see the potential for the game becoming a lot longer. Exciting news given that Knizia once stated that this would never see the light of day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ersatz Ursatz
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Knizia referred to this as a "half" expansion, so I wonder how much this would add to the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
It is quite possible that this isn't the same half-expansion Knizia has refered to in the past, or is a redevelopment of it into a full expansion.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That was my second thought as well Matthew. Perhaps this is something entirely new.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfred
Netherlands
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
mb
Octavian wrote:
It is quite possible that this isn't the same half-expansion Knizia has refered to in the past, or is a redevelopment of it into a full expansion.

Or it is more than one expansion (the old half + the new) in a single box. It has been done before and I hope it will be the case again.

Can't wait to get hold of additional info.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Stout
United States
Annandale
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder whether Knizia's been influenced by War of the Ring: Battles of the Third Age, to add his own battles expansion. If that's so, it could be different from his original "half expansion" idea, in which case I share the hope that his earlier ideas are also included.

When it says "Each of the boards from the main game has a corresponding battlefield," I also hope this includes the extra 2 boards from the F&F expansion. Bree and Isengard lack Fighting tracks, but they include the assault of the Nazgul on Weathertop and the Ents at Isengard, so they do have battlefield-worthy events.

I am excited. Even if this does make the game take longer, I think it will be worth it. And, with the renewed attention this will bring to the LotR game, I will probably dust off and further develop my own variation/expansions, for posting on BGG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Coon
United States
Redwood City
California
flag msg tools
As long as we're guessing, perhaps the Foes from F&F are the enemies that get placed on the battlefields and the Sauron player has control of them.

I have a hunch this isn't the third half-expansion, but another idea entirely.

Guess I know what's on my Christmas list already. (And yes, that is when I think we'll see it.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Play Games - Interact - Have Fun!
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This sounds just like the "secret" expansion that Reiner Playtested at KublaCon. I was fortunate to be walking by when he was looking for players and joined in the game. My recollection of all the details is a bit vague but I'll tell you what I do remember.

There are several boards that set-up like a flow chart that are used to represent actual "battles/encounters" at key stages in the game. The players try and navigate markers through these boards (through card play if I recall correctly), avoiding the bad stuff and going for the good. It all ties in nicely to the regular boards and gameplay but now adds some definate tactics in the manuevering of the marker down the various paths on these "battle" boards.

I know, I know, it all sounds way vague and I probably have some of it wrong. I'm sorry it was a blur of a game and the game itself was overshadowed by the fact that it was just a blast to play a game with THE game designer!

I don't recall if I took a picture or not, I'll have to check.

It was pretty fun regardless - even though we lost (and we did give Reiner a lot of crap for that!).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just remembered - we also ribbed him severely about the GeekSpeak episode where he told Aldie and Derk that there would never be another LotR expansion! He was a good sport about it and said he KNEW that comment would come back to haunt him.

He was a pretty cool dude.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Eaton-Salners
United States
Lake Forest
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
manowarplayer wrote:

It was pretty fun regardless - even though we lost (and we did give Reiner a lot of crap for that!).

I was in the Sunday morning playtest and we won. cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Coon
United States
Redwood City
California
flag msg tools
mitnachtKAUBO-I wrote:

C'mon Alex... You've got to give us more than that!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Bullroarer Took wrote:
mitnachtKAUBO-I wrote:

C'mon Alex... You've got to give us more than that!

People who played are probably sworn to secrecy, which is why Scott could give us the details he did.

Navigating a flowchart, if it is how I imagine, actually sounds like a pretty cool way to integrate the cards from the game into a tactical battle.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:

People who played are probably sworn to secrecy, which is why Scott could give us the details he did.

Navigating a flowchart, if it is how I imagine, actually sounds like a pretty cool way to integrate the cards from the game into a tactical battle.

-MMM

There was some semi-serious/semi-kidding comments from Reiner about this being a secret and we couldn't talk about it, but I think that was more because it was still in development. Now that it's been announced, I would assume that that "gag order' has been lifted, but KublaCon was just a whirlwind of a day for me (I was only there for just the day) and unfortunately I really don't remember too much of the specifics of the game.

Another thing I recall is that each flowchart was very different and had enemies on it appropriate for the current board from the existing game. Each flowchart worked a bit differently as some had multiple paths and others were more linear. I seem to remember trying to block certain spots to prevent bad guys from appearing but it's all a blur at this point. I expect we'll see more details soon anyways. Reiner basically walked us through the first one to give us an idea of how to play them and then left us to decide strategy for the rest of them making minimal suggestions so as not to influence us too much.

I think we did make it into Mordor but we all died a horrible death due to an awful series of unfortunate events!

One really interesting thing was the VERY detail notes he took during gameplay. He noted the time it had taken, the strength of the party, the events that had occured, ect... It was all broken down into strict data that he could analyze. We gave him a lot of feedback during and after the game play and he basically would either immediately explain why he didn't think a suggestion would work or he would begin to extrapolate it out to see where it would lead. From observing him at 'work' you can certainly see why he is so good at what he does.

Edits: Typos

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Eaton-Salners
United States
Lake Forest
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:

Yup. Reiner asked us not to talk about specifics regarding the playtest. Since the game isn't out yet I'm still keeping the details of our session secret.

I'll be interested to see how the final version turns out. Reiner was a bit unhappy with the way we won and indicated he might make some changes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
mitnachtKAUBO-I wrote:
Reiner was a bit unhappy with the way we won

Those must be fun words to be able to type Not everyone can say such a thing.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Stout
United States
Annandale
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I take it you did not play with any other expansions, but do you know if there are battlefields for the two scenario boards in Friends and Foes? There isn't a battlefield for the main board, is there?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Barliman wrote:
I take it you did not play with any other expansions, but do you know if there are battlefields for the two scenario boards in Friends and Foes? There isn't a battlefield for the main board, is there?

In our game, we used the basic LotR game only, no Friends & Foes expansion, so I don't know if there is one or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel (working on TENNISmind...)
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
My latest game: Big*Bang, a simple abstract about the first minutes of the Universe
badge
My best-rated game: TETRARCHIA, about the tetrarchy that saved Rome
mbmbmbmbmb
Good to know it works without the other expansions, I have just the base game...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
It would doubtless be compatible with just the base game. The real question is whether it would be compatible with either or both of the already released expansions.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Figgins
United States
Woodland
California
flag msg tools
badge
http://lyrislaser.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:
It would doubtless be compatible with just the base game. The real question is whether it would be compatible with either or both of the already released expansions.

-MMM

Probably. Knizia's clever. It might be something where there's four battle boards, but you use them in the first four boards you encounter. Or something. I can almost guarantee it'll all work together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Coon
United States
Redwood City
California
flag msg tools
I think he'll make it all work together as well. In thinking of the boards, Bree and Moria didn't really have any battle going on concurrently and the "Battle of Isengard" was completely handled by the Ents. The others are obvious.

It will be interesting to see what he does.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the coolest news ever. I was just wondering about another expansion just a couple days ago even though I hadn't heard anything official in a year or two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.