Advanced Squad Leader: Starter Kit #1» Forums » Rules

Subject: Scenario 1 - questions from a newbie rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: asljr_rsp [+] [View All]
Have faith
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm playing Scenario 1 solitaire to help me learn the rules. I have a few questions:

1. Before their first turn, the Germans are waiting off board. So their first phase in the entire game is their Movement Phase, where they move onto the board. Is that correct?

2. Victory conditions. The scenario says the Americans win if no Good Order German units occupy buildings N5, N6, M4, and L3 at the end of the game. Does this mean any of the buildings or all of them? In other words, if even just one German unit is in one of these buidings then the Americans lose?

3. When are Pin markers removed? At the beginning of that unit's next Movement phase?

4. What is Area Fire? The rules don't explain much about this.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Have faith
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TedTorgerson wrote:
Quote:

Not certain but I think it is where you fire at concealed units to try to cause an NMC to reveal them. There is no concealment or Hidden Initial Placement in the first 2 Starter Kits. Maybe this was going to be included but then they changed their minds.
Yeah, that's strange. Area Fire is mentioned briefly in the rules and there is a prominent box about it on the Quick Reference card.

Thanks for all the great anwers, Ted!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laszlo Somoskôi
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TedTorgerson wrote:
There is no concealment or Hidden Initial Placement in the first 2 Starter Kits.

There is HIP in the ASL SK2, for the guns

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Haseler
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CLARIFICATION

In Starter Kit #1 it may be a bit undefined, but see Starter Kit #2, where Rule 6.4 deals with fire attacks on Hidden Guns and their crews. Non-ordnance firepower (i.e. inherent FP and/or SW FP) is halved as Area Fire if attacking an 'empty' hex to find out if a Gun is hidden there.

Note also 6.9 where Mortars always use the Area Target Type in the To Hit process, and any (non-Critical) Hit by a Mortar is resolved on the IFT as Area Fire (i.e. at half the FP of that MTR's printed calibre, thus a 50* MTR is resolved on the 2FP column, an 81* MTR is resolved on the 8FP column of the table).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Vrabel
United Kingdom
Cambridge
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Area fire? The other answers seem to be very confused.

Area fire is a number of things that can cause FP to be halved. In ASLSKs this is limited to:
:Long range fire
:By Pinned firer
:Advancing fire phase
:First or final fire counter is on the firing unit
:Firing into a hex with a unit that has (is?) HIP (Not in ASLSK#1)

Area fire is cumulative, a pinend firer at long range will have their FP quatered.

Don't confuse this with 'Area Traget Type' which is a method Guns use when targeting the entire hex rather than a unit. Which doesn't occur in ASLSK#1.

Also, concealment does not feature in the SKs, and HIP only occurs for Guns in SK#2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris van Wyk
South Africa
Stellenridge, Cape Town
Western Cape
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cull wrote:

3. When are Pin markers removed? At the beginning of that unit's next Movement phase?

Hi,

the Pin marker is also removed if the unit subsequently breaks.

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isley
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TedTorgerson wrote:

They are supposed to be set up on any whole hex on a random map board placed next to the map board being used for the scenario. All whole hexes of the off board map are treated as open ground. I just count the hex they start in as their first move.

So they would have to Prep fire from this offboard square before they moved?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isley
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, for instance, in the Starter kit scenario 1, where the german moves first, it would start at the movement phase? Thus the first chance for either side to fire would be the Americans (DEFENDERS) with defensive first fire? And the only chance the Germans (ATTACKERS) have to fire in that first turn is during the advancing fire phase (or Close combat I guess)?

And if I wanted the germans to start in one of those wooded half hexes, I'd have to use two MF to get them there from off board?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isley
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Heh...got my starter kit yesterday...it's all slowly starting to gel together...I'm pretty hyped...I'm afraid I might really like ASL (uh oh)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Moody
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
So, for instance, in the Starter kit scenario 1, where the german moves first, it would start at the movement phase? Thus the first chance for either side to fire would be the Americans (DEFENDERS) with defensive first fire? And the only chance the Germans (ATTACKERS) have to fire in that first turn is during the advancing fire phase (or Close combat I guess)?

And if I wanted the germans to start in one of those wooded half hexes, I'd have to use two MF to get them there from off board?
During the rally phase you would have to place the German reinforcents on the board edges at their places of entry, and the next action would be movement onto the board. "Yes" to all other questions, although I don't think rolling in close combat is usually referred to as "firing".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isley
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Heh, yeah, I guess close combat is all gun butts and eye gouges.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Richardson
United States
Lindsborg
Kansas
flag msg tools
mb
Kevin Moody wrote:
...I don't think rolling in close combat is usually referred to as "firing".

Units in close combat are still firing their weapons, which is why an American squad with 6 FP has such an advantage in CC against a German squad with 4 FP. If this was simply 10 American soldiers vs 10 German soldiers in a non-shooting brawl, the odds would be even.

CC attacks are not called "firing" because they take place at VERY close range, are usually simultaneous, and involve comparing the attacker's FP to the defender's FP to determine an odds ratio (as in most traditional wargames). It's a completely different system from firing on the IFT, so a different terminology is used.

But wait! There's more! (useless ASL trivia follows...)

The old "Streets of Fire" Deluxe Module introduced an option for "Hand-to-Hand Close Combat" (HtH CC) which basically made CC much more deadly by increasing the CC Kill Numbers by two... but the odds are still figured normally by using FP, so the weapons are still firing even in HtH CC.

Strangely enough, HtH CC could only be used when playing on the deluxe boards with their large hexes, but it was later included with the famous "Red Barricades" historical module, and it can also now occur whenever Japanese troops are involved in close combat. The Japanese get a favorable DRM for HtH CC... primarily, I believe, so that they have a chance in CC against the high FP US Army and Marine squads.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you setup in an offboard hex at the continuation of a road, can you assume the hex you start on is a road for MP purposes?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Daglish
United Kingdom
Cheadle
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
The Japanese get a favorable DRM for HtH CC...

only when they attack

Quote:
primarily, I believe, so that they have a chance in CC against the high FP US Army and Marine squads.

and not when they are attacked, and this is a main reason why the USMC morale value debate ended in failure. Marine scenarios tend to work when they are grossly outnumbered [Cibik's Ridge] but not otherwise, which puts them in a category all of their own. Its a great pity that marine morale variation wasn't handled via the method of SSR, or that USMC morale wasn't portrayed by a range of units in the manner of the Army units.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will DeMorris
United States
El Paso
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
If you setup in an offboard hex at the continuation of a road, can you assume the hex you start on is a road for MP purposes?

Short answer: Yes.

Long Answer:

From page 6 of the ASL SK#1 rulebook
Quote:
Units expend MF based on the terrain that is entered, subtracting that amount from their remaining total until they reach zero, or choose not to move further.

So as long as you cross only road hexes on the turn you move onto the map, you get the road MP bonus.

Hope this helps!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bulwyf wrote:
So as long as you cross only road hexes on the turn you move onto the map, you get the road MP bonus.

Hmm. So if a hex on the edge of the map happened to have a road going parallel to the map edge, you could enter onto it (from the side) and STILL get the road bonus?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will DeMorris
United States
El Paso
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I'm interpreting the rules correctly, yes. The terrain of the hex you leave dosen't matter for MP calculations. Only the terrain you cross/enter does.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bulwyf wrote:
If I'm interpreting the rules correctly, yes. The terrain of the hex you leave dosen't matter for MP calculations. Only the terrain you cross/enter does.

Normally, yes. But the road movement bonus requires that you START on a road, move completely along road hexes, and end on a road hex, in order to get the extra 2 MP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Richardson
United States
Lindsborg
Kansas
flag msg tools
mb
Jim C wrote:

Yes. This is clarified in the ASLSK #2 rulebook, which officially takes precedence over the ASLSK #1 rulebook (assuming, of course, that you have a copy of the ASLSK #2 rulebook).

ASLSK #2, rule 3.3, last para (page 10):

"Roads are considered to extend off board for purposes of road bonus."

Jim C wrote:
...But the road movement bonus requires that you START on a road, move completely along road hexes, and end on a road hex, in order to get the extra 2 MP.

Both ASLSK rulebooks are less precise here... and ASLSK #2 has an unfortunate typo (page 2, Roads) that really garbles its meaning.

But the ASL rulebook is quite clear (B3.4): you must cross only road HEXSIDES during your move in order to be able to claim the road bonus.

(And the road bonus is, of course, an extra 1 MF, and not 2 MP)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
richfam wrote:
(And the road bonus is, of course, an extra 1 MF, and not 2 MP)

Ya, thanks. I always confuse leaders with pavement. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.