1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » BoardGameGeek Related » BGG General

Subject: Why were the FFG threads deleted? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There were 2 threads discussing the new Starcraft board game and all of the newly announced FFG games (check the rant section of their website) but they both were removed? Anybody know why?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
they weren't deleted, they were moved. Check the Fantasy Flight Publisher's page and you'll see them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Ahern
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is Publisher Forums going to be one of the "modules" available soon? Otherwise, I would have NEVER seen that thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, thats really annoying. How does the discussion of new board games not fall under the "general gaming" category?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps because it was wholly related to one publisher's upcoming games, and therefore should go on ther page.

And Sean, I saw it down the page in one of the other modules.

Edit: Hmm, perhaps not. I know I did see it somewhere. Must have been in the Browse menu page.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I think thats an easy way to ruin potential good discussions by moving the threads to areas of the site that are more difficult to find and thus have less traffic. There are already so many forums all over the place its nearly impossible to follow any discussions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Low
Australia
Footscray
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They should just buy banner ads like everyone else! LOL.

Hmm, come to think of it, has FFG ever taken out banner ads? Just curious.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patching
United Kingdom
Newport, Wales
flag msg tools
badge
If you notice this notice you wil notice that this notice was not worth noticing
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree. I for one never look at the publishers pages.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They aren't that easy to find either- I went looking in Forums and they can't be seen there, only time I see em is when a post from them pops up in "Games".

It is a nice idea to have Publisher specific web pages, but I'm not sure forums are necessary, and if they are, they should be more prominent!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Casiglio
United States
Ansonia
CT
flag msg tools
Falcon 2018 September 28, 29, 30 in Stamford, CT
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was just making the same comment in the Richard Berg playtest thread ... since being moved to the forum on the Game Designer's page it never shows up on the front page anymore. If I wasn't subscribed to it I would have lost it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludes
United States
Honor
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Yes, I wish threads wouldn't get moved until activity on them dies down. I've only just started to use "New Posts" (under "Forums") as a way of keeping up in this BGG-World. I've seen a number of interesting threads disappear as apparently those categories are excluded under the "New Posts" umbrella, and I guess there are some I never see.

Also, does anyone know why the number of returns for "New Posts" varies so greatly? Sometimes I get as many as 90+, sometimes as few as 6 or 8.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shaffer
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree - every time a thread is moved, it becomes 'lost'.

At a minimum, the old thread should continue to appear with text indicating it's been moved and a link to the new thread.

It's really a shame that threads can't be linked in more than one forum, which would solve this problem. That way, the thread could be listed in the FFG forum, but the thread could remain in the General Games forum also -- and eventually, the thread could be listed in each individual game forum as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I see the thread, right now, in my GAME FORUMS module, under FANTASY FLIGHT GAMES.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Carr
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, anything that has dipped off the front page is essentially dead to me, so having some kind of pointer at least would help.

I liked the system that was used for awhile where if a thread was moved then it showed up in bold in the general mix with a revised header showing where it moved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Carr
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
I see the thread, right now, in my GAME FORUMS module, under FANTASY FLIGHT GAMES.

Perhaps the pubishers forums could be included in the general mix since it is a bit more diverse than a specific game.

The way I use the forums on my front page is that I mainly just glance at "forums" and "off-topic" but if content is slow and I'm desperate to stay online longer then I look at the "games" module to see if I can find something interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I on the other hand look at the game forums first and the other forums second.

Another idea might be to have a menu option somewhere which takes you to the Publishers pages. (checks) Oh, there is one! Oh well, I'll just exit here....blushmeeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Zaphod wrote:
Wow, thats really annoying. How does the discussion of new board games not fall under the "general gaming" category?

I agree, very annoying. Almost a kiss of death thread when it's pushed off into the game articles. If I wanted to write a game article, that's what I'd do.

shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
Zaphod wrote:

I agree, very annoying. Almost a kiss of death thread when it's pushed off into the game articles. If I wanted to write a game article, that's what I'd do.

shake

This is the new BGG, guys. I find tons of cool content only on the game forums now, which is the idea.

Time to adapt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:

This is the new BGG, guys. I find tons of cool content only on the game forums now, which is the idea.

Time to adapt.

Why couldn't it just be on both?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Holzman
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
As grey traces of dawn tinge the eastern sky, the three travellers, men of Willowdale, emerge from the forest's shadow. Fording the river, they turn south, journeying into the dark and forbidding lands of The Necromancer...
mbmbmbmbmb
It appears that THIS thread should be moved, too...to the Complaint Depratment folder.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Nardo
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bearcat89 wrote:
It appears that THIS thread should be moved, too...to the Complaint Depratment folder.

BGG Suggestions might be a better home.

Either way, it would still retain its place in general search path and Forums post list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Karp
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
admin
Developin' Developin" Developin!!
badge
100 geekgold for OverText, and all I got was this stupid sentence.
mbmbmb
This thread is in the publisher forum, which does appear on your front page, in the Game Forums+ module. Sorry about the confusion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ola Hansson
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How about using a different font or color for publishers in the game forums module? Someone new to boardgames might think Fantasy Flight Games is a game and not a publisher.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sauberer
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there any other way to browse the publisher forums than through the Game Forums+ module?

I don't see them when I click on "Browse" on the front page or when I go deeper in the Browse drop downs to the game forums.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shaffer
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dakarp wrote:
This thread is in the publisher forum, which does appear on your front page, in the Game Forums+ module. Sorry about the confusion.

Hmmm, that forum isn't on my front page. I found it mostly useless, since it's cluttered with dozens of threads about games I don't care about. I use Bloglines to track that information instead. It's too bad there isn't an easy way to subscribe to the publisher page like there is for the game pages.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.