L. Scott Johnson
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ananda ruled this morning that Shuttle Diplomacy temporarily "removes" the country entirely from the equation, rather than just subtracting one from the Battleground sum (CSW 3162).

That brings up the question: who chooses which Battleground country is removed? If the USSR has Japan and North Korea, he'd obviously like to keep Japan so as to get +1 VP for a country adjacent to the US when Asia scoring comes up.

Card text could be read to imply that the US would choose (but then again, it also says merely to subtract one Battleground from the USSR total, which seems to imply that only the Battleground sum would be affected, so the implication for who chooses isn't one I'd like to rely on, especially since it's on even less sure footing than the implication for the sum).

Any official answer to this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oddly enough, that is how I have always read it too- you lose the 1 VP for the Battleground country as well as not having it count for Prescence, Domination or Control.

Now, the only Battleground country adjacent to the USA in Asia or the Middle East is Japan. How many games have you seen where USSR controls Japan? So the issue is academic in the vast majority of cases. But I suppose we'd better wait for a ruling on the tiny number that do matter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L. Scott Johnson
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Philip Thomas wrote:
Oddly enough, that is how I have always read it too- you lose the 1 VP for the Battleground country as well as not having it count for Prescence, Domination or Control.

Well, for Control, by Ananda's ruling, you could still control it (as long as you control more countries than your opponent without counting the dropped country and control all of the (remaining) Battleground countries) since, by Ananda's ruling, that dropped country is removed form the equation entirely.

Edit: But Jason has just ruled the opposite on CSW -- USSR cannot control with Shuttle Diplomacy. So apparently it is not removed from the equation as entirely as Ananda had said.

Quote:
Now, the only Battleground country adjacent to the USA in Asia or the Middle East is Japan. How many games have you seen where USSR controls Japan? So the issue is academic in the vast majority of cases. But I suppose we'd better wait for a ruling on the tiny number that do matter.

Yeah. I'd much rather it come up now rather than having to arm wrestle for it when it comes up in play.

Edit: And Jason's ruling is that the US player chooses which country is not counted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Doum
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Reponse from Jason: It is a US event, so the US chooses.

It would also prevent the USSR from controlling whichever region it affected, as they would then not control all battlegrounds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aron
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Life is game, you gotta enjoy the journey.
badge
Life may knock you down sometimes. Its up to you if you stand up and live your life to the fullest.
mbmbmbmbmb
After going through 61 pages of rules topics I found this topic at page 56...

I too have a question about Shuttle Diplomacy.

- Does the battleground lose the status of battleground (so it becomes a non-battleground for scoring)

OR
- Does the battleground as a whole not count for scoring (1 less country as a whole).

We came up with it yesterday during play...

With the first option if USSR had control of middle east, it becomes dominion now. Otherwise its just presence (when the middle east scoring card comes first of course).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward
United States
New York City
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Neither. The battleground is treated as uncontrolled..

In the future, to save you this effort -- most rules questions are answered in the Collected Rulings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aron
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Life is game, you gotta enjoy the journey.
badge
Life may knock you down sometimes. Its up to you if you stand up and live your life to the fullest.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you very much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.